Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will the Big 12 rescind invitations to Houston, BYU, UCF, and Cinci?
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Will the Big 12 rescind invitations to Houston, BYU, UCF, and Cinci?
This is probably the biggest question for the G5 going forward. This could undo a lot of moved that happened in the G5 after the Texas and Oklahoma announcements.

I know I'm not the only person wondering if these invitations were contingent on there not being any more P5 realignment.
07-06-2022 04:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Will the Big 12 rescind invitations to Houston, BYU, UCF, and Cinci?
No. The new additions are at least as good as any of the current members, and it adds stability. And no other P5 conferences seem remotely interested in either the old or the new members.
07-06-2022 04:07 PM
Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
no. aside from the above, it would set a terrible precedence and severely damage the conference reputation
07-06-2022 04:10 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
Certainly the best move, when trying to get schools to move from the PAC to your conference, is to kick out the most recent additions to your conference. Couldn't possibly backfire in any way.
07-06-2022 04:15 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
No. Next question?
07-06-2022 04:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
If anything the B12 should be nervous that the Pac12 swallows its pride/morals and goes after BYU.
07-06-2022 04:26 PM
Advertisement

cc22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: football
No.
07-06-2022 04:40 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-06-2022 04:26 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  If anything the B12 should be nervous that the Pac12 swallows its pride/morals and goes after BYU.

I guess the following PAC adds would avoid the monster exit fees and fit into the traditional PAC travel partner scheme and have a couple of extra schools if the B10 come knocking again. As you said they wouldhave to get over the academic and religious snobbery in echange for security in numbers. I wonder if the existing PAC is discussing GOR’s to quell the
fears.

BYU
Colo St
Houston
SMU
07-06-2022 04:42 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
lol… SMH
07-06-2022 04:46 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
Surely, you can't be serious.

Oh. You are serious. Well, seriously, the answer is no. And anybody who would even suggest such an idea is playing with fire. Not just that, it would also kill the Big XII as we know it, because nobody would trust the league if that were to happen.

tl;dr: Hell no!
07-06-2022 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Johnny Incognito Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
Not happening.
07-06-2022 04:54 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
Right now I suspect there may be a little Big12 buyers remorse---but I think they will end up being pleasantly surprised with how well their newbies work out over the long term.
07-06-2022 04:56 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Dur… city schools… dur…..
07-06-2022 05:10 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
Zero chance. Even IF they see their future in the West and wanted to cut out the Eastern Time Zone, they already have WVU parked there all alone. Adding Cincinnati makes WVU less of an island, and UCF gets the XII into Florida which is a plus for everyone. And when the ACC dies, they'll likely get the rest of the old Big East (maybe minus Miami) + Wake Forest for a whole Eastern pod or division.
07-06-2022 05:15 PM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
(07-06-2022 05:15 PM)Gamenole Wrote:  Zero chance. Even IF they see their future in the West and wanted to cut out the Eastern Time Zone, they already have WVU parked there all alone. Adding Cincinnati makes WVU less of an island, and UCF gets the XII into Florida which is a plus for everyone. And when the ACC dies, they'll likely get the rest of the old Big East (maybe minus Miami) + Wake Forest for a whole Eastern pod or division.

Plus, Houston helps keep the Big XII in Southeast Texas, which is increasingly becoming SEC land because of the departure of TAMU and the impending departure of a certain burnt orange school in Austin. (I ain't saying the name because, well, blah.) People will be pleasantly surprised to see how well we can do against the big boys when on a truly level playing field. (And that's just in football. Don't get me started on basketball.)
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2022 05:37 PM by GeminiCoog.)
07-06-2022 05:36 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-06-2022 04:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Right now I suspect there may be a little Big12 buyers remorse---but I think they will end up being pleasantly surprised with how well their newbies work out over the long term.

Yeah.

It makes sense to me that the Remaining 8 wish that this B1G/USC/UCLA move had happened a year ago, right after the SEC got TX and OU, so it could acquire the "corner four" or whatever that PAC group is called without extending invites to the AAC schools and BYU.
07-06-2022 06:34 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
This board never fails to eventually jump the shark.

No, the agreements between the 4 incoming schools and the existing B12 member schools won't be unilaterally rescinded or modified. The present and future damages that the suit(s) would demand in a lay down hand would choke a horse.
07-06-2022 06:42 PM
Section 200 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC & XU
The new 4 schools are equally or more valuable than the current members! Of course they won't be uninvited! The 4 new schools will help keep ISU, KSU, KU, TT, etc. relevant. Unless you think Kansas wants to go to the Big East & drop football?
07-06-2022 06:47 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Everyone is forgetting that if this happened before UCF, UC, UH, and BYU were added, the PAC would be doing the raiding and the Big 12 would be dead. Now the Big 12 is stronger and more stable and is the aggressor. The Big 12 should thank it's lucky stars that the PAC defections didn't happen until now.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2022 06:42 AM by Jugnaut.)
07-06-2022 06:52 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(07-06-2022 06:52 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  Everyone is forgetting that if this happened before UCF, UC, UH, and BYU were added, the PAC would be doing the raiding and the Big 12 would be dead. Now the Big 13 is stronger and more stable and is the aggressor. The Big 12 should thank it's lucky stars that the PAC defections didn't happen until now.

I don't think so. I don't think Cincy, BYU, UH and UCF give the nB12 an advantage over the nPAC.

In fact, I'd argue the opposite - if the nB12 fails to attract any nPAC teams, I would bet that one important reason would be the lack of desire of PAC schools to travel across the country to places like Cincy, WV and UCF. They are IMO more of an impediment that a help. When some talk about the nB12's "central location", it bears noting that fully 1/4 of the current conference is from a PAC perspective anything but.

I also bet that if this had happened last year, the nB12 would be trying to attract the PAC teams, and would not be interested in adding the three AAC teams. The AAC teams would be a fall-back if the PAC schools wouldn't come, much like the CUSA schools were the AAC's fall-back once the MW schools wouldn't come.

That said, regarding the OP, I don't think the nB12 can rescind accepted invitations. They can't stop UCF and BYU from being members in 2023 any more than they can kick out Texas Tech or Iowa Sate. For better or worse, and I admit I don't know what it will end up being, the new schools are full-fledged nB12 members.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2022 07:51 PM by quo vadis.)
07-06-2022 07:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.