Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

1/6 Committee End Game theory
bobdizole Online
All American

I Root For: MT
This would be completely off the wall insane, but the dems are fully capable of off the wall insane. There are only 7 ways a US citizen can lose their citizenship to the US. Care to guess what number 7 is? Treason

From 8 US Code 1481

Quote:(7)committing any act of treason against, or attempting by force to overthrow, or bearing arms against, the United States, violating or conspiring to violate any of the provisions of section 2383 of title 18, or willfully performing any act in violation of section 2385 of title 18, or violating section 2384 of title 18 by engaging in a conspiracy to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, if and when he is convicted thereof by a court martial or by a court of competent jurisdiction.

Maybe they are pushing heavy on the insurrection and overthrow the government narrative so they could try to strip his citizenship, therefor blocking him from running for president again amongst other things.
06-16-2022 03:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: 1/6 Committee End Game theory
I think the dumbest thing the democrats could do is to make a martyr out of Donald Trump, something they seem hell bent to accomplish at all costs. They can impeach all they want, but if they can't get 67 votes in the senate, they can't do anything about it.

As long as Donald Trump remains a viable presidential candidate, he is a divisive figure both among republicans and the population as a whole.

If democrats succeed in taking Trump out, they solve the divisiveness issue for republicans. Republicans can then nominate whomever they want, basically whoever has the broadest appeal, and the pro-Trump faction will vote in lock step against any democrat.

Democrats are usually smarter about politics than this, but they don't seem to be able to overcome their visceral, emotional, irrational hatred of Donald John Trump.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 07:58 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
06-16-2022 04:12 PM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(06-16-2022 04:12 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Democrats are usually smarter about politics than this, but they don't seem to be able to overcome their visceral, emotional, irrational hatred of Donald John Trump.

You just summed up the last 6 years in 1 perfect sentence.

+3 Sir
06-17-2022 07:10 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
This is the 1st time I’ve ever seen someone say Democrats and smart in the same sentence. They are, as a collective, just stupid and worthless people. All of them

But yes, this is about keeping Trump from running again. Impeachment I & II didn’t work.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 07:28 AM by MemTigers1998.)
06-17-2022 07:27 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
With all the division we've experienced since 2008 I am quite frankly amazed we haven't see multiple legitimate assassination attempts by the radical extremists in both parties against several politicians on both sides of the aisle.
06-17-2022 07:46 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(06-17-2022 07:27 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  This is the 1st time I’ve ever seen someone say Democrats and smart in the same sentence. They are, as a collective, just stupid and worthless people. All of them

But yes, this is about keeping Trump from running again. Impeachment I & II didn’t work.

They arent smart people
06-17-2022 07:46 AM
Advertisement

Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
(06-17-2022 07:27 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  This is the 1st time I’ve ever seen someone say Democrats and smart in the same sentence. They are, as a collective, just stupid and worthless people. All of them

There is a very interesting social experiment about poor/less intelligent people and money. While not an across the board observation, there are many many instances of people up against a wall who always figure out how to get a buck in their hands where there is no buck seemingly available - what is more astonishing is how "simple" many of these people are.

Being resourceful does not require an exceptionally high IQ - just a desire to meet a need. AKA the definition of a typical Democrat
06-17-2022 07:50 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(06-17-2022 07:50 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  

There is a very interesting social experiment about poor/less intelligent people and money. While not an across the board observation, there are many many instances of people up against a wall who always figure out how to get a buck in their hands where there is no buck seemingly available - what is more astonishing is how "simple" many of these people are.

Being resourceful does not require an exceptionally high IQ - just a desire to meet a need. AKA the definition of a typical Democrat

I've met many, many very dumb Democrats. But they are not typically the ones in charge. They instead are the ones blindly spewing talking points and following orders.

Now it could be that MemTigers is exactly right, and that these incessant hearings are only "about keeping Trump from running again."

Or, just maybe, it could be that these hearings are instead intended to provoke Trump to run again - - per their devilishly smart assessment: (i) that he is the ONLY Republican candidate they have a chance of defeating in 2024 and (ii) that baiting him is a surefire way to ensure that he comes charging in to the fray.
06-17-2022 08:26 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(06-17-2022 08:26 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(06-17-2022 07:50 AM)Eldonabe Wrote:  

I've met many, many very dumb Democrats. But they are not typically the ones in charge. They instead are the ones blindly spewing talking points and following orders.

Now it could be that MemTigers is exactly right, and that these incessant hearings are only "about keeping Trump from running again."

Or, just maybe, it could be that these hearings are instead intended to provoke Trump to run again - - per their devilishly smart assessment: (i) that he is the ONLY Republican candidate they have a chance of defeating in 2024 and (ii) that baiting him is a surefire way to ensure that he comes charging in to the fray.

Meh!! He has a good record as President that compared to Biden, people are saying right now and I’m seeing it even from blacks that didn’t vote for him:

‘we didn’t have high inflation, high grocery bills, $6 gallon of gas, new proxy wars, baby formula shortages and utter chaos at the border under Trump

Right now people would gladly take mean tweets and all instead of this
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 08:40 AM by BigTigerMike.)
06-17-2022 08:40 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
For what little it's worth (I know, "RINO" alert), here's a snippet from from aging WSJ columnist Peggy Noonan:

Quote:The November election will be good for Republicans, how good we’ll see. The presidential cycle then begins. The Biden administration from Afghanistan through inflation denialism hasn’t been a success. The economy won’t get better in time for 2024. My guess is little will.

In this atmosphere a normal upstanding Republican or a normal accomplished conservative would beat whatever the Democratic ticket is.

It is only Mr. Trump who would surely lose.

America isn’t going to elect him again. They’re not going to let that guy back in that house. Because everyone knows it: Let Donald Trump back there and he’ll do a 1/6 again. Because while his followers love America, he doesn’t. He likes it as far as it goes, appreciates it as the stage for his greatness, but beyond that . . .

Link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/january-6-t..._lead_pos8
06-17-2022 08:45 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(06-16-2022 03:55 PM)bobdizole Wrote:  This would be completely off the wall insane, but the dems are fully capable of off the wall insane. There are only 7 ways a US citizen can lose their citizenship to the US. Care to guess what number 7 is? Treason

From 8 US Code 1481

Quote:(7)committing any act of treason against, or attempting by force to overthrow, or bearing arms against, the United States, violating or conspiring to violate any of the provisions of section 2383 of title 18, or willfully performing any act in violation of section 2385 of title 18, or violating section 2384 of title 18 by engaging in a conspiracy to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, if and when he is convicted thereof by a court martial or by a court of competent jurisdiction.

Maybe they are pushing heavy on the insurrection and overthrow the government narrative so they could try to strip his citizenship, therefor blocking him from running for president again amongst other things.

There's NO need to strip citizenship.

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment would likely cover it:

Quote:No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 08:47 AM by Redwingtom.)
06-17-2022 08:46 AM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(06-17-2022 08:46 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(06-16-2022 03:55 PM)bobdizole Wrote:  This would be completely off the wall insane, but the dems are fully capable of off the wall insane. There are only 7 ways a US citizen can lose their citizenship to the US. Care to guess what number 7 is? Treason

From 8 US Code 1481

Quote:No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Good luck with that 2/3 vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
06-17-2022 09:16 AM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama

It seems Dems are driven mostly by emotion while Reps are more logical. It's got to have something to do with what part of the brain is more dominant.
06-17-2022 09:30 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(06-16-2022 04:12 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think the dumbest thing the democrats could do is to make a martyr out of Donald Trump, something they seem hell bent to accomplish at all costs. They can impeach all they want, but if they can't get 67 votes in the senate, they can't do anything about it.

As long as Donald Trump remains a viable presidential candidate, he is a divisive figure both among republicans and the population as a whole.

If democrats succeed in taking Trump out, they solve the divisiveness issue for republicans. Republicans can then nominate whomever they want, basically whoever has the broadest appeal, and the pro-Trump faction will vote in lock step against any democrat.

Democrats are usually smarter about politics than this, but they don't seem to be able to overcome their visceral, emotional, irrational hatred of Donald John Trump.
Remember Trump was one of them and was unhappy with the direction the party was going. When Don Jr basically converted him to Republican that's when the Left began to hate him because he stopped contributing to their campaigns.
06-17-2022 09:34 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
(06-17-2022 09:16 AM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  

From 8 US Code 1481

Doesn't that line mean that congress can override the section by a 2/3 vote and allow the person to hold office?
06-17-2022 09:46 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(06-17-2022 09:46 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

From 8 US Code 1481

Doesn't that line mean that congress can override the section by a 2/3 vote and allow the person to hold office?

Yes, I'm wrong and you're correct. I misread it on my phone earlier.

However, it's never a good look for a party to start declaring political opponents as insurrectionists, rebels, terrorists, etc (throw in any label there) to keep them off of ballots. Trying to remember all the places around the world I've read about and seen that happen before and what the end result is...
06-17-2022 09:57 AM
Advertisement

solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(06-17-2022 09:57 AM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  However, it's never a good look for a party to start declaring political opponents as insurrectionists, rebels, terrorists, etc (throw in any label there) to keep them off of ballots. Trying to remember all the places around the world I've read about and seen that happen before and what the end result is...
The Communist Party and other likeminded parties have a history of such actions so....
06-17-2022 10:10 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(06-17-2022 10:10 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(06-17-2022 09:57 AM)B_Hawk06 Wrote:  However, it's never a good look for a party to start declaring political opponents as insurrectionists, rebels, terrorists, etc (throw in any label there) to keep them off of ballots. Trying to remember all the places around the world I've read about and seen that happen before and what the end result is...
The Communist Party and other likeminded parties have a history of such actions so....

Democrat/ Socialist/ Leftist/ Communist - theyre all synonyms
06-17-2022 10:12 AM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State

From 8 US Code 1481

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What Tom is talking about wouldn't require any votes in Congress. We're not talking impeachment anymore, that fell short of 2/3 at 57-43 in the Senate, and Congress has no authority to charge and try crimes aside from impeachment. The 2/3 vote in his quote refers to Congress removing the prohibition against holding future office from someone who has engaged in insurrection or rebellion, which would stand no more chance of happening than impeachment did.

Treason or rebellion/insurrection would have to be charged by the DOJ and Trump convicted in the courts for the provisions of the 14th Amendment barring him from future office to come into play. There seems to be some confusion regarding the the Committee referring charges to DOJ, but that essentially has no meaning. Even when the charge is for defying a Congressional subpoena, it's still up to the DOJ whether or not to act on the charges (as shown by Steven Bannon & Peter Navarro being indicted, while Mark Meadows hasn't been thus far). Congress making a referral might be helpful if it was some obscure matter not on the DOJ's radar they had uncovered, but that certainly isn't the case here as AG Garland and the 1/6 prosecutors are well aware of what happened and are watching all of the hearings.

Even if the DOJ ultimately brings charges against Trump, I think seditious conspiracy would be more likely than treason or rebellion/insurrection. And it doesn't carry the prohibition on holding future office that the other two charges do -

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 807; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(2)(J), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; July 24, 1956, ch. 678, § 1, 70 Stat. 623; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(N), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

So the ship likely sailed on barring Trump from holding future federal office when the Senate failed to convict him on the articles of impeachment. I suppose some court could rule that he had engaged in insurrection/rebellion under the 14th Amendment and was barred from office, but absent a conviction they'd be out on a limb and I expect the Supreme Court would ultimately reverse that. As we've seen already with the suits against members of Congress like Madison Cawthorn & MTG, it isn't easy to bar someone from running for office based upon crimes that have a specific legal meaning if they haven't been convicted of that crime.
06-17-2022 10:21 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(06-16-2022 04:12 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I think the dumbest thing the democrats could do is to make a martyr out of Donald Trump, something they seem hell bent to accomplish at all costs. They can impeach all they want, but if they can't get 67 votes in the senate, they can't do anything about it.

1A. The division among Republicans is between swamp Republican establishment and Trump, not the core of conservative/Republican voter base

1B. I said it before that Biden would make Trump look like George Washington in comparison among most Americans and now a year and half into this disaster, people are openly saying they wished Trump was still president

2. If Democrats have the power and means to take out a former President in Trump then they can take out anyone including a new nominee through various other means. I can see the bitterness broil over among conservatives base as well if such a thing would happen
06-17-2022 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.