Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who’s the new villain
Bookmark and Share
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Who’s the new villain
I’ll be completely honest, I’ve basically spent my entire football watching life looking at the Big 12 box scores hoping to see that Texas and Oklahoma lost—and I wasn’t even a fan of a Big 12 school. I ge the feeling most everyone else in the league wanted to see those 2 lose too.

Will the Big 12 have a villain in the future…or will we just be watching the scrolling scores hoping to see those two take some beatings in the SEC?
06-15-2022 09:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Who’s the new villain
I don't think anyone short term will be the villian. I expect someone would have to become dominate over all the rest to get there. I really don't see that happening any time soon.
06-16-2022 07:57 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I bet BYU stakes out that position within two years, and they won't need to win to do it.
06-16-2022 08:24 AM
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
(06-16-2022 08:24 AM)Claw Wrote:  I bet BYU stakes out that position within two years, and they won't need to win to do it.

This x 100. Look at their time in the WAC and MW.
06-16-2022 09:19 AM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Iowa State
In basketball? KU x 1,000

They always get favorable calls from the refs. That being said, for the sake of our conference I was glad they took home the 'ship last tourney.
06-16-2022 09:22 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(06-16-2022 09:22 AM)CYOWA Wrote:  In basketball? KU x 1,000

They always get favorable calls from the refs. That being said, for the sake of our conference I was glad they took home the 'ship last tourney.

06-16-2022 01:05 PM
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
WVU and Cincy will quickly become the most toxic rivalry in the conference.

All of Ohio looks down on West Virginia and the WVU fan base has always looked down on Cincy. What makes the rivalry more fun is they are constantly competing for recruits in Ohio and Cincy has been dominating WVU in that regard recently. WVU fans are also pretty convinced that an ACC invite will eventually come and are paranoid that Cincy would now get an invite over them now that they are in a power conference again.

Both these fan bases really dislike each other, and the old Big East days were pretty nasty. The overall collection of Louisville, Pitt, WVU, and Cincy in the Big East were some great rivalries.
06-16-2022 01:45 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(06-16-2022 01:05 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  

[Image: tombstone-im-your-huckleberry.gif]
06-16-2022 02:48 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

(06-16-2022 02:48 PM)CYOWA Wrote:  
(06-16-2022 01:05 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  

[Image: tombstone-im-your-huckleberry.gif]
See…there’s at least something we can agree on! 04-cheers

I shouldn’t be surprised at OU, although I’d definitely had more of a bond with them than I had Texas.
06-16-2022 03:12 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(06-16-2022 03:12 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  See…there’s at least something we can agree on! 04-cheers

I shouldn’t be surprised at OU, although I’d definitely had more of a bond with them than I had Texas.

My hope is that whatever scheduling model they come up with, the remaining Big 8 members wind up on the same block. Something like this:

Cincy
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

ISU
KU
KSU
OSU

Baylor
BYU
TCU
Tech
06-16-2022 03:50 PM
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
(06-16-2022 03:50 PM)CYOWA Wrote:  
(06-16-2022 03:12 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  See…there’s at least something we can agree on! 04-cheers

My hope is that whatever scheduling model they come up with, the remaining Big 8 members wind up on the same block. Something like this:

Cincy
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

ISU
KU
KSU
OSU

Baylor
BYU
TCU
Tech

This seems most logical but I wonder how WVU fans feel about it? WVU and Cinci were in the same conf before but it may be deflating to their fans to be paired with 3 of the 4 new teams from G5 conferences.
06-16-2022 03:55 PM
Advertisement

CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(06-16-2022 03:55 PM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  

Cincy
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

ISU
KU
KSU
OSU

Baylor
BYU
TCU
Tech

This seems most logical but I wonder how WVU fans feel about it? WVU and Cinci were in the same conf before but it may be deflating to their fans to be paired with 3 of the 4 new teams from G5 conferences.

To ease the travel burden a bit, I think they'd be okay with it. Any Mountaineers want to weigh in here?
06-16-2022 04:29 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Cincy
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

ISU
KU
KSU
OSU

Baylor
BYU
TCU
Tech

Not sure there’s a reason to have pods with just 12 schools. Maybe have one rivalry protected/that would be played yearly and that’s it. If it turns out to be something like that it would be tough for wvu for sure. Also not sure that’s the best way to maximize Houston’s value either. The cougars playing their old rivals from the swc would be better for ratings, attendance etc

Jackson
06-16-2022 04:40 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

Cincy
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

ISU
KU
KSU
OSU

Baylor
BYU
TCU
Tech
I’m so old I was a ball boy for the Big 8 Holiday basketball tournament once. Not the post-season conference tournament, but the old one played BEFORE conference play started. I remember a big fella from ISU named Dean Uthoff. Nice guy and good player.

It’s a shame so much history gets thrown out for “progress” - or should I say $$$$? I liked the old Big 8, so I agree that it’d be good for us mostly to be together. At the same time, I’m looking forward to the newcomers joining - I think it’s gonna be fun.
06-16-2022 06:21 PM
ddkatelycoog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Univ of Houston
(06-16-2022 04:40 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  

Cincy
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

ISU
KU
KSU
OSU

Baylor
BYU
TCU
Tech

Not sure there’s a reason to have pods with just 12 schools. Maybe have one rivalry protected/that would be played yearly and that’s it. If it turns out to be something like that it would be tough for wvu for sure. Also not sure that’s the best way to maximize Houston’s value either. The cougars playing their old rivals from the swc would be better for ratings, attendance etc

Jackson

Trade BYU for Houston. Then you will have it! Texas Tech, Houston, Baylor, TCU and you will have the SWC division!

I think BYU, Cincy, UCF, WVU should be together. ISU, Kansas, Kansas State, and OSU should round it out!
06-16-2022 08:38 PM
cc22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: football
It'll be extremely dumb if the old Big 8 schools don't play each other twice every year in basketball.
06-16-2022 09:05 PM
Advertisement

tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(06-16-2022 09:05 PM)cc22 Wrote:  It'll be extremely dumb if the old Big 8 schools don't play each other twice every year in basketball.

At 12 teams, I hope we just play a 22 game league schedule and home/away every team.

It seems to be harder and harder to get good OOC basketball games that aren't part of the tournament or a conference challenge, would be better for RPIs and ticket sales to just play a few more league games.
06-16-2022 09:39 PM
CYOWA Offline
2nd String

(06-16-2022 06:21 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  

Cincy
Houston
UCF
West Virginia

ISU
KU
KSU
OSU

Baylor
BYU
TCU
Tech
I’m so old I was a ball boy for the Big 8 Holiday basketball tournament once. Not the post-season conference tournament, but the old one played BEFORE conference play started. I remember a big fella from ISU named Dean Uthoff. Nice guy and good player.

It’s a shame so much history gets thrown out for “progress” - or should I say $$$$? I liked the old Big 8, so I agree that it’d be good for us mostly to be together. At the same time, I’m looking forward to the newcomers joining - I think it’s gonna be fun.

Dean Uthoff?? Yeah- you are old. That was before Coach Johnny Orr and the 3-point line.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2022 10:33 AM by CYOWA.)
06-17-2022 10:32 AM
Spolovilo4EVER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tarleton Baylor
I think it will go back to a 6/6 split like it was when it was initially formed back in the mid 90's. With 3 cross over games a year, and then after 2 years, switch to the other 3. Keeping the biggest rivalries in mind as well as geography, I would assume it would probably be something like... South/West: Baylor, TCU, TTU, BYU, OSU, UH North/East: KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, CINCY, UCF
06-18-2022 02:09 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(06-18-2022 02:09 AM)Spolovilo4EVER Wrote:  I think it will go back to a 6/6 split like it was when it was initially formed back in the mid 90's. With 3 cross over games a year, and then after 2 years, switch to the other 3. Keeping the biggest rivalries in mind as well as geography, I would assume it would probably be something like... South/West: Baylor, TCU, TTU, BYU, OSU, UH North/East: KU, KSU, ISU, WVU, CINCY, UCF

Your divisions make sense, but the B12 plays 9 conference games, so 4 cross games each year.
06-18-2022 07:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.