Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Harvey Weinstein loses appeal of rape conviction in NY case
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Harvey Weinstein loses appeal of rape conviction in NY case
Quote:Disgraced former Hollywood movie mogul Harvey Weinstein, who inadvertently spearheaded the #MeToo movement when decades of sexual abuse allegations against him came to light five years ago, lost his appeal Thursday on a rape conviction and prison sentence stemming from a New York case.

The ruling issued Thursday by a five-judge panel in New York’s intermediate state appeals court rejected the former film producer’s claims that the judge at the landmark #MeToo trial prejudiced him by allowing women to testify about allegations that were not part of the criminal case.

The decision affirmed the milestone verdict in America’s reckoning with sexual misconduct by powerful figures — an era that began with a flood of allegations against Weinstein.

Weinstein, 70, is jailed in California, where he was extradited last year and is awaiting trial on charges alleging that he assaulted five women in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills from 2004 to 2013.

Weinstein was convicted in New York in February 2020 of a criminal sex act for forcibly performing oral sex on a TV and film production assistant in 2006 and rape in the third degree for an attack on an aspiring actress in 2013.

Link
06-02-2022 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Harvey Weinstein loses appeal of rape conviction in NY case
Harvey Weinstein is the scum of the earth as far as I’m concerned, and I don’t particularly care what happens to him. But it is curious how a guy can fall so far when the political winds change.

No way to prove it or disprove it, but I’m convinced that if Hillary! had become president in 2017, the whole #MeToo thing would not have generated anywhere close to the same degree of passion and rage that it did in the wake of Trump’s victory. If that’s true, it’s easy to envision a scenario in which Weinstein trades on his wealth and connections to get away with a much lighter sentence, and possibly skates entirely.
06-02-2022 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.