Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNC University System Changes
Bookmark and Share
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
UNC University System Changes
https://northcarolinatime.com/the-unc-sy...ent/26974/

Looks like UNC-CHeat wants to change the rules as other schools were receiving more funds than they wanted them to...

Perhaps the only thing that can unite App and UNCC fans is the chains from those clowns on the hill.
05-06-2022 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: UNC University System Changes
(05-06-2022 09:34 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Perhaps the only thing that can unite App and UNCC fans is the chains from those clowns on the hill.

Amen to that!

Reading the article though, there just isn't enough information for me to understand exactly what is happening. There were a few points with which I believe I can get on board. Sure, I fully expect the UNC-CHeat led Board of Governors to try and screw the other schools in our state for their benefit, and spin it in a way that implies we should appreciate it. Still, it is hard to argue against the idea that our tax dollars could be better spent at the university level. More dollars for data science and less for interpretive dance? I believe our citizens will see a better return on their investment if that is what they are doing.
05-06-2022 02:21 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says go away appy!
05-06-2022 02:24 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
I agree with more dollars to programs that contribute to society.

There is an interesting college podcast series on Freakonomics right now that has challenged my traditional thinking about universities and where the dollars should be spent. In short they argue that mid-tier universities and specifically HBCUs are the best at raising the socioeconomic status from one generation to the next in a family.

Providing additional funding to UNCCH vs. other schools in the system may not be the best answer for the state overall. UNCCH has suppressed their growth while schools like UNCC, ECU, App, etc. have been asked to grow and keep up with demand.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM...IAxAF&ep=6
05-06-2022 02:38 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(05-06-2022 02:21 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  Reading the article though, there just isn't enough information for me to understand exactly what is happening. There were a few points with which I believe I can get on board. Sure, I fully expect the UNC-CHeat led Board of Governors to try and screw the other schools in our state for their benefit, and spin it in a way that implies we should appreciate it. Still, it is hard to argue against the idea that our tax dollars could be better spent at the university level. More dollars for data science and less for interpretive dance? I believe our citizens will see a better return on their investment if that is what they are doing.

It's not interpretive dance that's the problem. It's pretty cheap and at most campuses, pays for itself via tuition and fees.

The problem is the vice-dean, associate dean, assistant to the dean. dean emeritus, the actual dean, then the assistant provost, vice provost, assistant to the provost, provost emeritus, second vice provost, provost for special programs, provost for left-footed dance equity, actual provost, second assistant vice president, second vice president, vice president for gender equity, vice president for business relations, vice president and thirty more. All making a minimum of 250K.

Plus the Center for Leadership Excellence.

Fire everyone with "vice" or "associate" in their title, and keep interpretive dance:

[Image: taylor_swift_3_by_lighteroflight-d834ylr.gif]
05-06-2022 02:42 PM
dawgonit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(05-06-2022 02:38 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  I agree with more dollars to programs that contribute to society.

There is an interesting college podcast series on Freakonomics right now that has challenged my traditional thinking about universities and where the dollars should be spent. In short they argue that mid-tier universities and specifically HBCUs are the best at raising the socioeconomic status from one generation to the next in a family.

Providing additional funding to UNCCH vs. other schools in the system may not be the best answer for the state overall. UNCCH has suppressed their growth while schools like UNCC, ECU, App, etc. have been asked to grow and keep up with demand.

Good recommendation, I'll have to give it a listen. Louisiana has the highest number of 4-year universities per capita and many people, including me, have claimed that schools need to be shut down and/or consolidated in the state to better use resources. I'm curious if that podcast episode could shed some new light on that topic.
05-06-2022 02:45 PM
Advertisement

Nugget49er Offline
1st String

(05-06-2022 02:42 PM)58-56 Wrote:  
(05-06-2022 02:21 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  Reading the article though, there just isn't enough information for me to understand exactly what is happening. There were a few points with which I believe I can get on board. Sure, I fully expect the UNC-CHeat led Board of Governors to try and screw the other schools in our state for their benefit, and spin it in a way that implies we should appreciate it. Still, it is hard to argue against the idea that our tax dollars could be better spent at the university level. More dollars for data science and less for interpretive dance? I believe our citizens will see a better return on their investment if that is what they are doing.

It's not interpretive dance that's the problem. It's pretty cheap and at most campuses, pays for itself via tuition and fees.

The problem is the vice-dean, associate dean, assistant to the dean. dean emeritus, the actual dean, then the assistant provost, vice provost, assistant to the provost, provost emeritus, second vice provost, provost for special programs, provost for left-footed dance equity, actual provost, second assistant vice president, second vice president, vice president for gender equity, vice president for business relations, vice president and thirty more. All making a minimum of 250K.

Fire everyone with "vice" or "associate" in their title, and keep interpretive dance:

How about meeting me halfway, and we do both?
05-06-2022 08:08 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(05-06-2022 08:08 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  

How about meeting me halfway, and we do both?

Keep interpretive dance. Cut total law school enrollment in half.
05-06-2022 11:49 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.

[Image: 200.webp?cid=ecf05e47sqy3tepj614q2nwkgb2...p;amp;ct=g]
05-07-2022 10:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
(05-06-2022 02:45 PM)dawgonit Wrote:  
(05-06-2022 02:38 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  I agree with more dollars to programs that contribute to society.

Good recommendation, I'll have to give it a listen. Louisiana has the highest number of 4-year universities per capita and many people, including me, have claimed that schools need to be shut down and/or consolidated in the state to better use resources. I'm curious if that podcast episode could shed some new light on that topic.

Please state your source, as I have a hard time believing that. In nearly everything I've always looked at, Louisiana has always ranked towards the bottom in education, so it would amaze me if you actually have the most 4-year universities per capita. See graph in link which shows Lousiana's average education score to be 22.57, while the national average is 49.26...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-...2063.77%29

And granted that I was only able to find data based on the 2010 US Census on percentages with college degrees, but only 3 states have a smaller percentage of residents with Bachelor's degrees or above than Louisiana does, and those states are Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.

Likewise, in terms of percentage of population with higher degrees (Masters and up), the only states with a lower percentage than Louisiana are North Dakota, Mississippi, West Virginia, and Arkansas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U....attainment

Truly not trying to throw shade. It would just really surprise me, as a newly-retired educator of nearly 30 years, based on all I've seen and read about education in various places (including Louisiana), if Louisiana actually did have the highest number of 4-year universities per capita.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2022 11:34 AM by Volkmar.)
05-07-2022 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(05-07-2022 11:17 AM)Volkmar Wrote:  
(05-06-2022 02:45 PM)dawgonit Wrote:  

Please state your source, as I have a hard time believing that. In nearly everything I've always looked at, Louisiana has always ranked towards the bottom in education, so it would amaze me if you actually have the most 4-year universities per capita. See graph in link which shows Lousiana's average education score to be 22.57, while the national average is 49.26...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-...2063.77%29

And granted that I was only able to find data based on the 2010 US Census on percentages with college degrees, but only 3 states have a smaller percentage of residents with Bachelor's degrees or above than Louisiana does, and those states are Arkansas, Mississippi, and West Virginia.

Likewise, in terms of percentage of population with higher degrees (Masters and up), the only states with a lower percentage than Louisiana are North Dakota, Mississippi, West Virginia, and Arkansas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U....attainment

Truly not trying to throw shade. It would just really surprise me, as a newly-retired educator of nearly 30 years, based on all I've seen and read about education in various places (including Louisiana), if Louisiana actually did have the highest number of 4-year universities per capita.

put it this way they have 17 public universities in Louisiana (4 year schools) with a population of 4.66 million

Texas has 35 with a population of 29 million and California 34 with a population of 39.5 million

his claim probably still holds true if you include private universities as well because I believe Texas has 34 or 35 of those and that would still get Texas down to just over twice the population per 4 year school as Louisiana still ONLY counting the public schools in Louisiana and not counting any private ones
05-07-2022 06:08 PM
Advertisement

Tech80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Vermont is #1. They have 17 public universities too with a population of around 800,000.

Louisiana is not in the top 5, but has too many 4-year public universities, regardless of what other states do.
05-08-2022 07:27 AM
dawgonit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(05-08-2022 07:27 AM)Tech80 Wrote:  Vermont is #1. They have 17 public universities too with a population of around 800,000.

Louisiana is not in the top 5, but has too many 4-year public universities, regardless of what other states do.

04-cheers

Good to know the truth on that.
05-08-2022 10:18 AM
Herd-in-ATL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall, UGA
The fact that the person who wrote the article couldn't get the name of the University where the meeting took place "The University of West Carolina", correct. It's been "Western Carolina" since 1929. I'm guessing their school should get ready to lose funds based on student achievement.
05-08-2022 10:33 AM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(05-08-2022 07:27 AM)Tech80 Wrote:  Vermont is #1. They have 17 public universities too with a population of around 800,000.

That is incorrect. Of Vernont's colleges, only 4 are public that offer Bachelors or higher...Castleton, UofV, Vermont Tech, and Northern Vermont.
05-08-2022 12:08 PM
FAU Connoisseur! Offline
1st String

I Root For: #CometotheFAU
I have to pee....I wish I could find a pissing contest.
05-08-2022 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I didn't realize the population in Vermont was so low. Most AAC cities are bigger.
05-08-2022 09:57 PM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(05-08-2022 09:57 PM)Nugget49er Wrote:  

I didn't realize the population in Vermont was so low. Most AAC cities are bigger.

Burlington (which is a very cool place) is the largest city at >50k, only ~200k metro. I love Vermont, great state. A touch too cold in the winter, but otherwise amazing for 8 months a year.
05-09-2022 07:24 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(05-08-2022 12:08 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

That is incorrect. Of Vernont's colleges, only 4 are public that offer Bachelors or higher...Castleton, UofV, Vermont Tech, and Northern Vermont.

yea wiki has only 4 public 4 year schools in Vermont, but also has their population at 600K which would still place their people per university ratio lower than Louisiana

but Louisiana is still way out of proportion and needs to do something to correct it, but probably never will
05-13-2022 12:44 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(05-13-2022 12:44 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  
(05-08-2022 12:08 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  

yea wiki has only 4 public 4 year schools in Vermont, but also has their population at 600K which would still place their people per university ratio lower than Louisiana

but Louisiana is still way out of proportion and needs to do something to correct it, but probably never will

Oh I agree 100%. Louisiana is far too over saturated. I was just pointing out that there was no way a small state like Vermont could have 17 4 yr public colleges. I knew that was an error.
05-13-2022 12:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.