Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...thoughts on chances of an eventual AAC-MWC merger...
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...thoughts on chances of an eventual AAC-MWC merger...
...if the next 'round' of realignment is true to form, the top few programs from each conference could be nabbed (BIG XII most likely), which to me would set up the opportunity to form a 'mega conference' between the AAC and MWC...

Just throwing it out there - thoughts are welcome... 03-drunk04-rock
04-30-2022 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
RE: ...thoughts on chances of an eventual AAC-MWC merger...
If anything, one league would consume the top programs of the other.
04-30-2022 10:42 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
That’s easy. None whatsoever
04-30-2022 10:59 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Not happening. The MWC was stronger than CUSA before the last realignment. The AAC has become the old CUSA with Temple, Navy, and Wichita. The AAC could potentially lose 2 more of its top schools leaving the MWC as the new "P6" conference going forward. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 02-13-banana COGS COGS 04-cheers
04-30-2022 11:23 AM
CatsClaw1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-30-2022 11:23 AM)panite Wrote:  Not happening. The MWC was stronger than CUSA before the last realignment. The AAC has become the old CUSA with Temple, Navy, and Wichita. The AAC could potentially lose 2 more of its top schools leaving the MWC as the new "P6" conference going forward. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 02-13-banana COGS COGS 04-cheers

Unless the MWC loses members especially Boise State.
04-30-2022 11:27 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(04-30-2022 11:27 AM)CatsClaw1 Wrote:  
(04-30-2022 11:23 AM)panite Wrote:  Not happening. The MWC was stronger than CUSA before the last realignment. The AAC has become the old CUSA with Temple, Navy, and Wichita. The AAC could potentially lose 2 more of its top schools leaving the MWC as the new "P6" conference going forward. 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 02-13-banana COGS COGS 04-cheers

Still would not happen. MWC would then just replace Boise with SMU or another “best available” team.
04-30-2022 11:54 AM
Advertisement

CatsClaw1 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(04-30-2022 11:54 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

Still would not happen. MWC would then just replace Boise with SMU or another “best available” team.

It depends on who the AAC loses because right now MWC schools are not happy with Craig Thompson. The fact that Colorado State and Air Force almost joined the AAC AFTER Cincinnati, UCF and Houston accepted Big 12 invites tells you how unstable the MWC as long as Thompson is the Commissioner. Heck, the new AAC members will still be making as much as the current MWC members.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022 12:30 PM by CatsClaw1.)
04-30-2022 12:27 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(04-30-2022 12:27 PM)CatsClaw1 Wrote:  
(04-30-2022 11:54 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

It depends on who the AAC loses because right now MWC schools are not happy with Craig Thompson. The fact that Colorado State and Air Force almost joined the AAC AFTER Cincinnati, UCF and Houston accepted Big 12 invites tells you how unstable the MWC as long as Thompson is the Commissioner. Heck, the new AAC members will still be making as much as the current MWC members.

-- Even if someone doesn't like the commissioner, the solution to that is to replace the commissioner, not jump to an inferior conference 2,000 miles away.

-- That's an exaggeration about CSU and AFA. Claiming they "almost joined" the AAC is like saying that if I stop for a minute to look as I walk past a car dealership, I "almost bought" a new car.

-- The AAC, to be kind, did not make itself more attractive with its six new additions. Unless those new members vastly exceed everyone's expectations, the new AAC is not going to attract anyone who has good options.

-- The money is peanuts for both conferences. It's only about 10 percent of a good G5 athletic budget. More importantly, the AAC is paying its new members much less than MWC members make in the MWC. The available money will never be enough to financially justify coast-to-coast travel.
04-30-2022 12:43 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
0.00% likelihood.
04-30-2022 03:03 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
There's no money in it. Won't happen.
04-30-2022 03:23 PM
Utgrizfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah, Army, Montana
The one thing that is going to continually save the MWC is geography. Being one of only 2 Western Conferences has its perks and that's one of them. Worst case if 2 teams leave for the Big12 eventually (let's say CSU and Boise State) the MWC could backfill with:

FBS: SMU, Texas State, UTSA, UNT, UTEP, Tulsa
FCS: Montana, Montana State, NDSU and SDSU
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2022 10:52 AM by Utgrizfan.)
05-01-2022 10:34 AM
Advertisement

AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
No merger. But once it’s clear the B12 is done expanding I wouldn’t be surprised if the MW went after SMU and UTSA. It would be a mutually beneficial arrangement similar to TCU in the MW back in 00’s.
05-01-2022 10:47 AM
Utgrizfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah, Army, Montana
(05-01-2022 10:47 AM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  No merger. But once it’s clear the B12 is done expanding I wouldn’t be surprised if the MW went after SMU and UTSA. It would be a mutually beneficial arrangement similar to TCU in the MW back in 00’s.

Definitely more likely then the Montana Schools as much as I would love for my Griz and the Cats to be in the MWC. Texas State would be a good 3rd Texas school option if 1 were to pass, TXST is only an hour or so away from San Antonio. UTSA should definitely be one of the choices as Lackland Air Base could help create a rivalry with AF
05-01-2022 10:56 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
Just too many teams to merge outright, no?
05-01-2022 11:25 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I actually think a merger between the future AAC and MWC could yield both 1. a very respectable league and 2. some interesting dynamics.

But I don't foresee it happening.
05-01-2022 12:14 PM
HerdFanGuest Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
I don't see a merger happening.
I could see the MWC picking off a couple schools from the AAC,depending on who they lose and who they back fill with.

If they lose 2 more to the Big12, I'm not sure aac will have enough product to attract the best of the rest
05-01-2022 12:41 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-01-2022 10:47 AM)AztecEmpire Wrote:  No merger. But once it’s clear the B12 is done expanding I wouldn’t be surprised if the MW went after SMU and UTSA. It would be a mutually beneficial arrangement similar to TCU in the MW back in 00’s.

It was an arrangement in which TCU always had one eye on the exit door. SMU and UTSA don't have enough positives to overcome their negatives. Their ability to help recruiting at schools much farther west is very limited, and they just don't draw enough eyeballs in a market crowded with better teams than these.
05-01-2022 12:43 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
I suspect the Mountain West would probably want some combination of Sacramento State, UC Davis, and/or Cal Poly if it has one or more vacancies to fill. Both New Mexico State and UTEP will be there for the taking as well should there be no one capable of moving from FCS.

A coast-to-coast conference below the P5 level is not viable. It may not even be viable AT the P5 level.
05-01-2022 01:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
There will be no merger. I think the more likely scenario would be if USC and another PAC program leave for the BIG10. In this situation San Diego St. and Boise would probably get called up to fill those openings. At that point Colorado St. and Air Force might jump to the AAC, if the conference doesn't lose any members to the Big12, and ESPN sweetens the media deal a little.
05-01-2022 01:25 PM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Slim to none
05-01-2022 01:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.