Unofficial EMU is Recruiting Emoni Thread
04-20-2022 04:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Unofficial EMU is Recruiting Emoni Thread
Guys, reading the article? Have to look for it. It is one of a number in a series of articles. Lists schools who are in on Emoni.
04-20-2022 10:01 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
I mean, there are like 30 teams listed, including UM. The longest of long shots.
04-20-2022 10:03 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-20-2022 10:03 PM)holybovine Wrote:  I mean, there are like 30 teams listed, including UM. The longest of long shots.

Are we reading the same article?

This is what I see:

"Here is a full list of schools that Bates provided via text to On3:

Arkansas, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Kansas, DePaul, Louisville, Oregon, Michigan, Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Oklahoma State, Butler, and Washington State."
04-20-2022 10:12 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

Exaggerating a bit for effect, but DePaul is the only school on that list close to us in basketball quality. And their conference is much better.

Seems like Bates is throwing Heath a bone?
04-20-2022 10:15 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-20-2022 10:15 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Exaggerating a bit for effect, but DePaul is the only school on that list close to us in basketball quality. And their conference is much better.

It depends what Emoni and his dad thinks is best for him.

Some schools don't seem viable. Washington State? That school is in Spokane, not the media capital of college hoops. and DePaul, Butler, etc.?
04-20-2022 10:20 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(04-20-2022 10:15 PM)holybovine Wrote:  Exaggerating a bit for effect, but DePaul is the only school on that list close to us in basketball quality. And their conference is much better.

Did you actually watch the DePaul EMU game last year? If you did you know that the quality of DePaul vs EMU isn't remotely close.
04-21-2022 04:59 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Now that we have the conversation going. How to think it through. What will Emoni need to consider? What will any college recruit need to consider?

Does Emoni want to play close to home or not? If so, UofM and EMU certainly meet that criterion.

Other than EMU and UofM both local schools I don't see any real pattern. I see schools coast to coast. Many, but not all, had very successful seasons in 2021/22. I see urban schools in big cities (e.g., Seton Hall, G'town, DePaul, Butler, etc.). I see cities which are basically university towns.

Past success. Kansas is the 2022 NC. G'town's Patrick Ewing is lucky to have a job. (fmr EMU Lee Reed is the GU AD)

I still think that one consideration is does Emoni want a reset. Maybe get closer to home, reset his life. Be near family and friends. Try to enjoy the upcoming academic and athletic year. It can be tough to go through a lot of pressure living in a city where one knows no one (Memphis).

Surprised not to see MSU on the list. MSU is close to home and Izzo is a veteran coach who knows how to handle all kind of player situations.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022 05:55 AM by emu steve.)
04-21-2022 05:33 AM
dansplaining Online
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(04-21-2022 05:33 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Now that we have the conversation going. How to think it through. What will Emoni need to consider? What will any college recruit need to consider?

Does Emoni want to play close to home or not? If so, UofM and EMU certainly meet that criterion.

Other than EMU and UofM both local schools I don't see any real pattern. I see schools coast to coast. Many, but not all, had very successful seasons in 2021/22. I see urban schools in big cities (e.g., Seton Hall, G'town, DePaul, Butler, etc.). I see cities which are basically university towns.

Past success. Kansas is the 2022 NC. G'town's Patrick Ewing is lucky to have a job. (fmr EMU Lee Reed is the GU AD)

I still think that one consideration is does Emoni want a reset. Maybe get closer to home, reset his life. Be near family and friends. Try to enjoy the upcoming academic and athletic year. It can be tough to go through a lot of pressure living in a city where one knows no one (Memphis).

Surprised not to see MSU on the list. MSU is close to home and Izzo is a veteran coach who knows how to handle all kind of player situations.

The pitch for Bates at EMU : Close to home, big fish in a small pond, winnable conference, chance to be THE GUY
04-21-2022 08:08 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-21-2022 08:08 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(04-21-2022 05:33 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Now that we have the conversation going. How to think it through. What will Emoni need to consider? What will any college recruit need to consider?

The pitch for Bates at EMU : Close to home, big fish in a small pond, winnable conference, chance to be THE GUY

Yep. After going to Memphis does he want to return home and relive the magic he had while at Lincoln?

As far as the NBA, Heath can prepare him. G-League teams function much like Triple A farm teams for MLB. They are designed to prep the players for a possible call up to the big league team. (we really see this with the Motor City Cruise). Heath knows pro ball.
04-21-2022 09:03 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
I feel like this thread is the type of thing that garnered the nickname “Sunshine Steve”. You might want to temper down any expectations.

My sense is Emoni Bates listed EMU in that ~13 team list because he is “throwing a bone” to his hometown team as ‘Bovine suggests. He did the same thing with his Twitter post when EMU previously offered him. To Emoni’s credit, both were class acts. This time it is even more beneficial to EMU especially as our recruiting process has stalled. Puts our name in some pretty impressive company as a potential selling point to other recruits.

But as far as coming to EMU:
Penny and Howard being NBA alum might be just as good at prepping him for the NBA…
Michigan is just as close to home…
Etc, I don’t think there are any logical reasons he would transfer to EMU over other options.

But there might be the slimmest of chances for EMU (and astronomically slim at that). EMU is not “close to home”, IT IS HOME. Things were going great when he was “home” during his freshman/sophomore years. Hopefully he has a great psychological association with us?!?!?
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022 09:40 AM by RamyEMU.)
04-21-2022 09:39 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2022 09:39 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  I feel like this thread is the type of thing that garnered the nickname “Sunshine Steve”. You might want to temper down any expectations.

My sense is Emoni Bates listed EMU in that ~13 team list because he is “throwing a bone” to his hometown team as ‘Bovine suggests. He did the same thing with his Twitter post when EMU previously offered him. To Emoni’s credit, both were class acts. This time it is even more beneficial to EMU especially as our recruiting process has stalled. Puts our name in some pretty impressive company as a potential selling point to other recruits.

But as far as coming to EMU:
Penny and Howard being NBA alum might be just as good at prepping him for the NBA…
Michigan is just as close to home…
Etc, I don’t think there are any logical reasons he would transfer to EMU over other options.

But there might be the slimmest of chances for EMU (and astronomically slim at that). EMU is not “close to home”, IT IS HOME. Things were going great when he was “home” during his freshman/sophomore years. Hopefully he has a great psychological association with us?!?!?

One major advantage that Emoni would have at EMU is that he would be the MAN. Emoni could get 20 shots a game with EMU vs 10 shots at UofM.

Heath would adopt an NBA uptempo offense with the goal of scoring 100 points a game. Emoni 20-22 shots a game, Noah 16-20 shots, etc

At EMU Emoni would draw a lot of attention lifting up the program. Would be a great display of can He lead a team.

I feel Emoni coming to EMU is not as far fetched as many believe. Let’s see where we’re at by August 1.
04-21-2022 10:16 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

Not surprised MSU not on list…..Emonis dad was publicly critical of Izzo in the media.
04-21-2022 10:19 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(04-21-2022 10:19 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

Not surprised MSU not on list…..Emonis dad was publicly critical of Izzo in the media.

And herein lies the REAL chance EMU actually has...

Do any of these big time programs want to deal with Emoni's dad? By ALL accounts, dating back to Emoni's freshman year at Lincoln, he has been a HUGE headache. Causing scenes at games, storming into the locker room, starting Ypsi Prep... There was an Athletic article this year that talked abotu him still wanting to have a presence at Memphis... I say all of that to say: Emoni brings a LOT to the table, but unfortunately so does his dad (and most of what he brings isn't desireable).

Now - For EMU it is 100% worth the headaches. For others it will have to be serious discussion.
04-21-2022 11:35 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-21-2022 11:35 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  
(04-21-2022 10:19 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

And herein lies the REAL chance EMU actually has...

Do any of these big time programs want to deal with Emoni's dad? By ALL accounts, dating back to Emoni's freshman year at Lincoln, he has been a HUGE headache. Causing scenes at games, storming into the locker room, starting Ypsi Prep... There was an Athletic article this year that talked abotu him still wanting to have a presence at Memphis... I say all of that to say: Emoni brings a LOT to the table, but unfortunately so does his dad (and most of what he brings isn't desireable).

Now - For EMU it is 100% worth the headaches. For others it will have to be serious discussion.

Yes. It is a cost / benefit analysis. Is the cost worth the benefit for EMU? YES!!

For Illinois, Kansas, Arkansas???? Not sure.
04-21-2022 12:02 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

In defense of Elgin Bates, I think he is probably a good guy. Life is challenging under normal circumstances. But when your son is a phenom of Emoni’s caliber, how do you handle that situation? There is little precedence and no one can offer you advice. The fact that Emoni played at Lincoln freshman/sophomore year shows how level headed and down to earth they may actually be.

Also, Emoni and Elgin helped Ty Groce get through his mental health issues. They had no incentive to do so- just helping out a member of the community. And what kind sweet little boy is Emoni at age 12 to reach out to a Ty Groce in need. I think the Bates might actually be really good people…
https://amp.indystar.com/amp/9303244002
04-21-2022 12:15 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2022 12:15 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  In defense of Elgin Bates, I think he is probably a good guy. Life is challenging under normal circumstances. But when your son is a phenom of Emoni’s caliber, how do you handle that situation? There is little precedence and no one can offer you advice. The fact that Emoni played at Lincoln freshman/sophomore year shows how level headed and down to earth they may actually be.

Also, Emoni and Elgin helped Ty Groce get through his mental health issues. They had no incentive to do so- just helping out a member of the community. And what kind sweet little boy is Emoni at age 12 to reach out to a Ty Groce in need. I think the Bates might actually be really good people…

Agree Ramy! I’m sure Mr Bates has had a lot of wolves come after Emoni so of course he would want to be involved. I would give Elgin the benefit of the doubt. Wherever Emoni plays, I’ll be rooting for him. If however he chooses EMU……coupled with Noah and another SG they could make a lot of noise nationally. The recruits would follow Emoni to EMU.

In life you have to be lucky to be successful….this would do wonders for EMU and the Ypsilanti/AA community.
04-21-2022 12:54 PM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(04-21-2022 12:54 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(04-21-2022 12:15 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  In defense of Elgin Bates, I think he is probably a good guy. Life is challenging under normal circumstances. But when your son is a phenom of Emoni’s caliber, how do you handle that situation? There is little precedence and no one can offer you advice. The fact that Emoni played at Lincoln freshman/sophomore year shows how level headed and down to earth they may actually be.

Agree Ramy! I’m sure Mr Bates has had a lot of wolves come after Emoni so of course he would want to be involved. I would give Elgin the benefit of the doubt. Wherever Emoni plays, I’ll be rooting for him. If however he chooses EMU……coupled with Noah and another SG they could make a lot of noise nationally. The recruits would follow Emoni to EMU.

In life you have to be lucky to be successful….this would do wonders for EMU and the Ypsilanti/AA community.

Hey, I'm not saying EJ is a bad guy. I had a very brief conversation with him at a Lincoln game in the Convo back in 2019 and he was perfectly pleasant. And everything I've ever heard about Emoni is that he's a great kid.

But I'm also saying EJ, who is the same guy that said he wants control of the narrative at all times, can be a headache. Bigger programs than EMU may be (and have been) turned off by that.

As an EMU fan I say he's worth every single one of those headaches. He may be the ultimate example of an involved parent and as my kids get older I understand it more and more (though my kids are going to be lucky to make high school teams, so maybe I will never understand it to his level).
04-21-2022 01:05 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(04-21-2022 01:05 PM)truEMU07 Wrote:  
(04-21-2022 12:54 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

Hey, I'm not saying EJ is a bad guy. I had a very brief conversation with him at a Lincoln game in the Convo back in 2019 and he was perfectly pleasant. And everything I've ever heard about Emoni is that he's a great kid.

But I'm also saying EJ, who is the same guy that said he wants control of the narrative at all times, can be a headache. Bigger programs than EMU may be (and have been) turned off by that.

As an EMU fan I say he's worth every single one of those headaches. He may be the ultimate example of an involved parent and as my kids get older I understand it more and more (though my kids are going to be lucky to make high school teams, so maybe I will never understand it to his level).

Ha! That is funny. My perspective on this was completely shaped by being a parent as well. It really is hard to navigate what is the best approach even for my wonderful little nobodies.
04-21-2022 01:51 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

(04-21-2022 04:59 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

Did you actually watch the DePaul EMU game last year? If you did you know that the quality of DePaul vs EMU isn't remotely close.

Ok 07-coffee3
04-21-2022 08:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.