Receives an invite to the A-10?
03-26-2022 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: So, how long before St. Peter's
Never. MAAC is their institutional ceiling in almost every metric.
03-26-2022 06:28 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(03-26-2022 06:26 PM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Receives an invite to the A-10?

The A-10 is legally obligated to invite any non-FBS program east of the Rockies that makes a Final Four (this is in the A-10 rulebook as well as the Bible) so the minute St. Peter’s closes out North Carolina, the Peacocks AD should be expecting a telegram from Bernadette McGlade within 24 fiscal hours.
03-26-2022 06:45 PM
Inkblot Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Oklahoma State
(03-26-2022 06:45 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

The A-10 is legally obligated to invite any non-FBS program east of the Rockies that makes a Final Four (this is in the A-10 rulebook as well as the Bible) so the minute St. Peter’s closes out North Carolina, the Peacocks AD should be expecting a telegram from Bernadette McGlade within 24 fiscal hours.

They somehow missed Wichita State...
03-26-2022 06:48 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
The real question should be how long before the St. Peter's head coach receives an offer from an A-10 school to be their new head coach.
03-26-2022 06:49 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(03-26-2022 06:48 PM)Inkblot Wrote:  

Either they signaled that they weren’t interested or the rule is actually east of the Mississippi?
03-26-2022 07:02 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(03-26-2022 06:49 PM)goofus Wrote:  The real question should be how long before the St. Peter's head coach receives an offer from an A-10 school to be their new head coach.

It's a given he's going to Seton Hall or there will be a revolt in Seton Hall. I think Holloway will be personally offended if he isn't their first choice.
03-26-2022 07:15 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-26-2022 06:28 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Never. MAAC is their institutional ceiling in almost every metric.

MAAC has a deep mid major tradition. A step above the NEC, Patriot and AEC and probably new Horizon and new CAA.
03-26-2022 07:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(03-26-2022 07:02 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(03-26-2022 06:48 PM)Inkblot Wrote:  

Either they signaled that they weren’t interested or the rule is actually east of the Mississippi?

I reread it and yes, it’s East of the Mississippi.
03-26-2022 07:37 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Sure, the A-10 is all about adding future dead weight that made a run or two in the Dance (Davidson, Loyola, George Mason).
03-27-2022 12:22 AM
GeminiCoog Offline
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
(03-27-2022 12:22 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Sure, the A-10 is all about adding future dead weight that made a run or two in the Dance (Davidson, Loyola, George Mason).

In fairness, Davidson did have one of the greatest players currently in the NBA as well during their run. (I know, I know. We Rockets fans can’t stand him. But if he had been drafted by us, on the other hand, we’d probably love the guy and hold him in almost as high regard as Hakeem, Rudy T, and Calvin Murphy.)
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 07:08 AM by GeminiCoog.)
03-27-2022 07:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schmolik Offline

It may saturate the New York/New Jersey market but the Colonial has an odd number of teams right now...
03-27-2022 07:15 AM
schmolik Offline

03-27-2022 08:17 AM
schmolik Offline

I think the comment from St. Peter's AD about St. Peter's getting more of the NCAA money certainly can bring up the debate about how conferences share money. I think in the case of St. Peter's or Gonzaga, I think it is perfectly fair that one school gets more (not all, but certainly not the same as everyone else either). If Duke wins the NCAA Championship, should they get the same amount as Boston College? In football, if Michigan or Ohio State make the College Football Playoff, should they get the same amount as, yeah I'll say it, Illinois? In the Big Ten media contract, Ohio State, Michigan, and Illinois get the same amount. Ohio State-Michigan had almost 16 million viewers. Did Illinois football games have 16 million viewers total the entire season?

It does become a slippery slope. The Big 12 lost Nebraska because the Big 10 shared equally and the Big 12 didn't. I'm sure if one of the major conferences decided to proportionally stack revenue, another conference can use that against them. Or you never know, maybe the opposite could be true. What if the Big 10 said they will base it proportionally to entice Alabama? Even if the SEC sticks it to equally and we lose a few schools that prefer equal sharing, any school the Big Ten loses to the SEC for that reason will be worth it if we get Alabama (Ohio State and Michigan won't leave if they know they'll get larger shares).

Maybe have media revenue stay equal but postseason revenue be awarded proportionally. We don't want to award a Texas just for being popular or penalize a Wake Forest for being a private school but what's wrong with rewarding a Gonzaga or St. Peter's or in football an Alabama or Ohio State for winning? Pittsburgh won the ACC in football? They get a bonus. The schools that made the NCAA men's and women's tournaments get more than the ones that don't. The schools that made bowl games get more than the ones that don't.
03-27-2022 09:03 AM
Bluedevil16 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Duke
Seems like their endowment is so low and facilities aren’t great where I doubt they get a new conference. But hopefully this can help get them more donations.
03-27-2022 09:19 AM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
As long as Rick Pitino sticks around, I expect Iona College will receive the call from the A10 before St. Peter's.
03-27-2022 09:34 AM
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(03-27-2022 09:34 AM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  As long as Rick Pitino sticks around, I expect Iona College will receive the call from the A10 before St. Peter's.

"As long as Rick Pitino sticks around"
03-27-2022 10:10 AM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

I Root For: chaos
(03-27-2022 12:22 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Sure, the A-10 is all about adding future dead weight that made a run or two in the Dance (Davidson, Loyola, George Mason).

George Mason was really more about ensuring the A-10 didn't lose their position than improving it. (Also, we took VCU too, who's good).

Davidson has won like 71% of their basketball games for like the last 25 years. They're one of the most consistent programs (which is what the A-10 sorely needs because programs like SLU, GW, St Joe's, URI, and Richmond constantly bounce back and forth between 24-8 and 13-19 seasons).

Loyola was not good for a long time, but their Final Four, and Sweet 16 runs were more than a flash in the pan. They hired an AD from the A-10 with the goal of making their athletic department an A-10 school and he got to work improving facilities and committing to basketball. And that's when their success started to come. Look at Moser's record at Loyola before he showed up).

The A-10 didn't add Loyola just because they had a deep run. Loyola was added because Loyola made themselves into the image of an A-10 program, and when the college world was focused on realignment/expansion, they called the A-10 and said they wanted in. The A-10 said "why not now?" instead of waiting for a need.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2022 11:16 AM by JSchmack.)
03-27-2022 10:55 AM
JSchmack Offline
1st String

I Root For: chaos
(03-27-2022 09:03 AM)schmolik Wrote:  I think the comment from St. Peter's AD about St. Peter's getting more of the NCAA money certainly can bring up the debate about how conferences share money. I think in the case of St. Peter's or Gonzaga, I think it is perfectly fair that one school gets more (not all, but certainly not the same as everyone else either). If Duke wins the NCAA Championship, should they get the same amount as Boston College? In football, if Michigan or Ohio State make the College Football Playoff, should they get the same amount as, yeah I'll say it, Illinois? In the Big Ten media contract, Ohio State, Michigan, and Illinois get the same amount. Ohio State-Michigan had almost 16 million viewers. Did Illinois football games have 16 million viewers total the entire season?

It does become a slippery slope. The Big 12 lost Nebraska because the Big 10 shared equally and the Big 12 didn't. I'm sure if one of the major conferences decided to proportionally stack revenue, another conference can use that against them. Or you never know, maybe the opposite could be true. What if the Big 10 said they will base it proportionally to entice Alabama? Even if the SEC sticks it to equally and we lose a few schools that prefer equal sharing, any school the Big Ten loses to the SEC for that reason will be worth it if we get Alabama (Ohio State and Michigan won't leave if they know they'll get larger shares).

Maybe have media revenue stay equal but postseason revenue be awarded proportionally. We don't want to award a Texas just for being popular or penalize a Wake Forest for being a private school but what's wrong with rewarding a Gonzaga or St. Peter's or in football an Alabama or Ohio State for winning? Pittsburgh won the ACC in football? They get a bonus. The schools that made the NCAA men's and women's tournaments get more than the ones that don't. The schools that made bowl games get more than the ones that don't.

The P5/BE and the one-bid leagues have no reason to change from an even split. For the most part, everyone is taking turns being up or down, getting plenty of bids and units. Sure in basketball, your Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UCLA, Arizona, Michigan St, Indiana powers consistently lead their conferences in collecting NCAA Tournament revenue. But those also AREN'T the schools who are routinely collecting from the CFP.

Which is why Oklahoma St, Georgia, Clemson, USC, Penn State, Nebraska -- are okay with it, too. Those schools, combined with the guys who rarely win in either (Oregon St, Washington St, Northwestern, Minnesota, Vandy, Ole Miss, Rutgers) give "Even Split" the majority in a conference vote over the teams who are actually good at both (Oregon, Ohio St, Michigan, Oklahoma, WVU, Texas, LSU, Florida, FSU, Miami).

For the one-bid leagues, the even split is a far safer bet, because there's hardly anyone left who "dominates" their league. Maybe Vermont. But Davidson (SoCon), Butler (Horizon), Belmont and Murray State (OVC), Stephen F Austin (Southland) have all moved up.

It's the middle tier that needs to contemplate a performance split instead of an even split.

The A-10 already has it. It's about 75% keep, 25% share for your NCAA bids. St. Bonaventure got more from beating UCLA and losing to Florida in 2018 (1.5 NCAA units to keep, 0.5 to share), than Loyola earned from their 2018 Final Four in an even split (5 units, 10-way split = 0.5 for Loyola).

(Honestly, I think the A-10 needs to adjust more towards even. With 15 members, it makes sense to me that you Share 30% of what you earn, keep 60% of what you earn, and 10% goes into a MBB scheduling fund to be used for when bottom teams need the cash to not go play a guarantee game they'll lose to a P5).

The WCC has it, and it escalates by round. Which is probably the model the one-bid leagues should use. the BID unit is split evenly, any wins are 50% to the winner and 50% to split. That makes everyone happy because the MAAC would get it's usual one bid, and an extra 1.5 units to share from St Peter's run. But St. Peter's would be getting 1.7 units from their run instead of 0.33.

Not sure what the American, MWC, MVC and C-USA do. I'm guessing MVC is even split. And the MWC had their eyes opened by not landing Gonzaga.

But it would be wise for them to go to a hybrid model. Literally no one but Gonzaga, Dayton and VCU want a "earner gets 100% no sharing" model.
03-27-2022 11:15 AM
ibby10 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Stony Brook
(03-27-2022 11:15 AM)JSchmack Wrote:  Which is probably the model the one-bid leagues should use. the BID unit is split evenly, any wins are 50% to the winner and 50% to split. That makes everyone happy because the MAAC would get it's usual one bid, and an extra 1.5 units to share from St Peter's run. But St. Peter's would be getting 1.7 units from their run instead of 0.33.

This is a good distribution idea for one-bid leagues.
03-27-2022 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.