Per verbal commits
03-24-2022 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
M Njie Transferring
Gambling with his future. He was a lock to start at EMU and now ???? Is the grass greener???

If it's not broke don't fix it. Maybe someday these kids will figure this out and stop chasing glory.
03-24-2022 09:33 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

RE: M Njie Transferring
This is a HUGE loss for EMU. Mo had a lot of growing pains but I do believe he would have outstanding junior and senior years.

From my perspective, season one was strike one on coach Heath even though I felt he was the guy. Now we’re rebuilding again in the second season.
03-24-2022 09:37 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2022 09:33 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Gambling with his future. He was a lock to start at EMU and now ???? Is the grass greener???

If it's not broke don't fix it. Maybe someday these kids will figure this out and stop chasing glory.

Playing with his brother is why he’s leaving EMU
03-24-2022 09:38 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-24-2022 09:37 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  This is a HUGE loss for EMU. Mo had a lot of growing pains but I do believe he would have outstanding junior and senior years.

From my perspective, season one was strike one on coach Heath even though I felt he was the guy. Now we’re rebuilding again in the second season.

Yes. Don't count your rebuilding successes before they happen.
03-24-2022 09:41 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2022 09:38 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(03-24-2022 09:33 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Gambling with his future. He was a lock to start at EMU and now ???? Is the grass greener???

Playing with his brother is why he’s leaving EMU
That's cute. He likely will be a non-starting role player
03-24-2022 09:51 AM
Advertisement

truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

I haven't seen anything indicating he is going to join his brother. I thought the MAC was the perfect level for him to be a starter and contributor. He would struggle to find quality playing time in the Big Ten.

BUT... He could also transfer back home to a place like Wright State, be a starter, and be on a team that is constantly contending for a Horizon League title / NCAA berth.

It stinks. But still... wish him all the best.
03-24-2022 10:00 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-24-2022 09:41 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-24-2022 09:37 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  This is a HUGE loss for EMU. Mo had a lot of growing pains but I do believe he would have outstanding junior and senior years.

This is why I kind of got on my high horse about posters indicating we should be competing for a MAC championship in two or three years.

Why???

We seem to have the 'rosy scenario' where we get transfers, lose none, etc. etc.

So for context, we didn't even make it to CLE so we were near the bottom of the conference. To date, we lost two players, including one who appeared to have good upside. Signed no one.

So today, we probably have the weakest roster in the MAC. We have spring to add talent but we are really playing catch up. The top of the MAC, as indicated in these forums, will be stronger next year with plenty of returnees.

Rosy scenario: When you have hit bottom, there is only one way to go... But we need to understand the application of inertia to college sports, winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing. There are no lottery picks. This isn't the Pistons where a few good drafts complimented by a few FAs and bingo, playoff capable. I suspect the Pistons will have a winning record before EMU MBB has a winning conference record.

"Inertia" is the story of Gonzaga. Gonzaga is a very fine Jesuit university in Spokane. There are many colleges like Gonzaga. Their conference is full of Catholic colleges much like Gonzaga. What makes Gonzaga MBB great. Inertia. It has been good for a long time under Few and his predecessor and winning has begotten winning. WCC schools are located in some of the most beautiful cities in the world, San Diego, Santa Clara, San Fran, etc. yet the school in Washington state with a real winter is numero uno.

Athletes need to see through the losing and hopefully see an upside. I'll repeat a common refrain. EMU has a very, very nice campus. Beautiful arena. There is an AWFUL LOT good that EMU can offer prospective student-athletes but MBB needs to get over the hump.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022 11:26 AM by emu steve.)
03-24-2022 10:37 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2022 10:00 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  I haven't seen anything indicating he is going to join his brother. I thought the MAC was the perfect level for him to be a starter and contributor. He would struggle to find quality playing time in the Big Ten.

BUT... He could also transfer back home to a place like Wright State, be a starter, and be on a team that is constantly contending for a Horizon League title / NCAA berth.

He is transferring to go play with his brother. Go look at Penn State’s roster as they have no center. Almost like they were waiting for the right time to let Mo know we want you. PSU could have tried to recruit someone better but struck out. Agree that Njie will struggle in the B1G. Groce was much better than Mo and sat the bench in the big East. Mos foot speed struggled against MAC quickness and he will struggle even more at the B1G level. As we know all players think they’re better than they are.
03-24-2022 11:17 AM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(03-24-2022 11:17 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(03-24-2022 10:00 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  I haven't seen anything indicating he is going to join his brother. I thought the MAC was the perfect level for him to be a starter and contributor. He would struggle to find quality playing time in the Big Ten.

He is transferring to go play with his brother. Go look at Penn State’s roster as they have no center. Almost like they were waiting for the right time to let Mo know we want you. PSU could have tried to recruit someone better but struck out. Agree that Njie will struggle in the B1G. Groce was much better than Mo and sat the bench in the big East. Mos foot speed struggled against MAC quickness and he will struggle even more at the B1G level. As we know all players think they’re better than they are.
Agree with everything you said, but Njie is only A sophomore, and Groce was A 5th year senior! Penn St has 3 years to develop him......And, out of high school Njie had multiple big offers!
03-24-2022 11:45 AM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(03-24-2022 10:37 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

This is why I kind of got on my high horse about posters indicating we should be competing for a MAC championship in two or three years.

Why???

We seem to have the 'rosy scenario' where we get transfers, lose none, etc. etc.

So for context, we didn't even make it to CLE so we were near the bottom of the conference. To date, we lost two players, including one who appeared to have good upside. Signed no one.

So today, we probably have the weakest roster in the MAC. We have spring to add talent but we are really playing catch up. The top of the MAC, as indicated in these forums, will be stronger next year with plenty of returnees.

Rosy scenario: When you have hit bottom, there is only one way to go... But we need to understand the application of inertia to college sports, winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing. There are no lottery picks. This isn't the Pistons where a few good drafts complimented by a few FAs and bingo, playoff capable. I suspect the Pistons will have a winning record before EMU MBB has a winning conference record.

"Inertia" is the story of Gonzaga. Gonzaga is a very fine Jesuit university in Spokane. There are many colleges like Gonzaga. Their conference is full of Catholic colleges much like Gonzaga. What makes Gonzaga MBB great. Inertia. It has been good for a long time under Few and his predecessor and winning has begotten winning. WCC schools are located in some of the most beautiful cities in the world, San Diego, Santa Clara, San Fran, etc. yet the school in Washington state with a real winter is numero uno.

Athletes need to see through the losing and hopefully see an upside. I'll repeat a common refrain. EMU has a very, very nice campus. Beautiful arena. There is an AWFUL LOT good that EMU can offer prospective student-athletes but MBB needs to get over the hump.
Luckeyone, above average coaches at the MAC level have teams competing by their second season as coach! Tod K went 4-28 his 1st season at Toledo, year 2, A winning record! Boals at Ohio U, Groce at Akron, Jan's at BGSU, Hurley at Buffalo.........Can Heath do it? With two decades coaching experience.........He needs to hit the portal really hard.........JUCO's as well.........Today basketball has changed immensely! We've NF, and he's the best guard we've had since Derrick Dial........
03-24-2022 11:52 AM
Advertisement

Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
With Njie playing, EMU scored 7 less points than their opponents per 100 possessions.

Even though Njie shot 61 percent from the field, I don’t think he has a bright future unless he stops turning the ball over a whopping 30 percent of his possessions as he did last season. Not good he took 80 fga’s and turned the ball over 38 times. I cringed every time time he put the ball on floor. It’s almost impossible to run plays thru him. He also committed a foul once every 8 minutes. Defensively, his legs appeared to be glued to the court. Unless he cleans up his game, I don’t see him being a positive factor for any team he plays for.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022 08:48 PM by Miggy.)
03-24-2022 12:01 PM
masttg Offline
1st String

(03-24-2022 11:52 AM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  

Why???

Luckeyone, above average coaches at the MAC level have teams competing by their second season as coach! Tod K went 4-28 his 1st season at Toledo, year 2, A winning record! Boals at Ohio U, Groce at Akron, Jan's at BGSU, Hurley at Buffalo.........Can Heath do it? With two decades coaching experience.........He needs to hit the portal really hard.........JUCO's as well.........Today basketball has changed immensely! We've NF, and he's the best guard we've had since Derrick Dial........

I am not going to dog Njie for his decision. I bet many people would do the same.

I also agree that if Heath is the man to turn EMU MBB around, then the team will need to be competitive in conference next year. We can haggle on what 'competitive' looks like--but a floor would be something like a 6th seed in the conference tourney.
03-24-2022 12:12 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

This freshman from Memphis feels he is NBA ready after averaging 6.6ppg

Minott, the No. 54 prospect in the ESPN 100, was named to the American Athletic Conference All-Freshman team after averaging 6.6 points on 52.2% shooting with 3.8 rebounds in 14.6 minutes per game for Memphis.
03-24-2022 12:57 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu

Why???

A lot of transferring in the MAC. CMU just lost Wade and Healy this will be the third school for .Wade. Ball St roster may be worse than ours but your point is well taken after fall early signings we are losing ground we can't lose. Just more pieces for Stan to put together. We may up to 7 new players that will need to learn to play together.
03-24-2022 01:06 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan

Agree with this being a huge loss. I’m extremely sadden by this.

Hopefully they can fill this gap with someone in the portal. It may be a good idea to go with someone older at center to supplement the young guys.
03-24-2022 03:03 PM
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan

Why???

Some of us were/are optimistic because of the talent and progress of the young freshmen. However, if a few of them leave, then the whole equation changes.
03-24-2022 03:07 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

First, I do want to second Tru’s sentiment to wish Mo Njie the best! He gets a chance to play with his brother in a big ten school. Good for him.

Second, I am not discounting this loss, but I am looking forward to seeing a more agile frontcourt with Jihad and Randle playing center.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022 03:23 PM by RamyEMU.)
03-24-2022 03:17 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Better now than later.

I'm actually shocked that Penn St would give him a scholarship. Mo has one major talent, he is 6'11". Not only is he clumsy, have a poor set of hands, but he is also not very strong and really does not get off the floor. I don't think I can remember a MAC game this year where we had a decided advantage in the paint unlike the days of JT4 and Toure. Sparks absolutely schooled him.

Lucky and I discussed him, and we both felt Mo was NEVER going to be an ALL-MAC player, but with intensive work and coaching, he could develop into an asset in his junior and senior years. But the B1G? Hunter Dickinson, Trace Jackson-Davis, Cofi Cockburn, Zach Edy, Trevion Williams? I don't see Mo ever getting to that level.
03-24-2022 04:50 PM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(03-24-2022 04:50 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Better now than later.

I'm actually shocked that Penn St would give him a scholarship. Mo has one major talent, he is 6'11". Not only is he clumsy, have a poor set of hands, but he is also not very strong and really does not get off the floor. I don't think I can remember a MAC game this year where we had a decided advantage in the paint unlike the days of JT4 and Toure. Sparks absolutely schooled him.

Lucky and I discussed him, and we both felt Mo was NEVER going to be an ALL-MAC player, but with intensive work and coaching, he could develop into an asset in his junior and senior years. But the B1G? Hunter Dickinson, Trace Jackson-Davis, Cofi Cockburn, Zach Edy, Trevion Williams? I don't see Mo ever getting to that level.

This is exactly why I am in wait-and-see mode on the Penn State thing. Yes, his brother is committed to school there. But (unless the rumor is founded from more than just that fact alone) I just don't see him as a fit in the B1G. Jerry is absolutely right that Mo isn't even in JT4's class, let alone the bigs of the Big Ten.
03-25-2022 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.