Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Russian Man Shows How Low Average Gasoline Prices Are There
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Russian Man Shows How Low Average Gasoline Prices Are There
Quote:The United States is carrying out a month of observing how effective sanctions will be to force Vladimir Putin to abandon his conquest of Ukraine. But that isn’t the only thing we should be gauging. What’s the baseline to measure how much pain the western world will inflict on the domestic Russian economy? And in turn, because sanctions are a two-edged sword, what kind of pain will the U.S. economy feel?

I figured the best place to track the sanctions/pain quotient would be with the price of a gallon of gasoline. In the United States, the price of gasoline resulting from this crisis now averages between $4.50 and $5.99 per gallon, depending on where you are in the country. In the European Union, the price of a gallon of gasoline hovers around $8.00 per gallon.

To find the comparable number in Russia, I turned to my favorite source of unbiased raw news, YouTube. And I found this wonderful, “simple Russian man” named Dan Sheekoz who posted a video on March 4, 2022.

Sheekoz visited gasoline stations in his town, jotting down gas prices. The video, which has gone viral, shows that the price per gallon of 95 octane fuel for an ordinary Russian citizen is $2.00 per gallon.

From a sanctions/pain quotient, we now have a people-to-people baseline to track whether or not our governments are succeeding or failing at using sanctions as a tool of statecraft. Americans suffer about twice the economic pain as Russians currently. Europeans are experiencing four times the pain at the pump.

Quite honestly, this piece of data does not bode well for U.S. President Joe Biden’s plan to squeeze Russian President Vladimir Putin. Russia is a massive oil and gas producer, and can maintain prices at these levels for far longer than the U.S. can tolerate damage to our economy at the pump. We may wind up assessing we are the disadvantaged ones economically, a month from now — the Europeans, even more so.

The timeline of trickle-down pain to ordinary people — from cutting off SWIFT terminal access to clamor in the streets — tends to be a slow one. Certainly, slower if a government has reserves to buffer the impact, which Putin’s Russia does. And pardon the irony, but Mr. Putin has a trump card to play against Mr. Biden. Biden is still buying oil at prices that can subsidize domestic fuel prices in Russia. That’s a really self-defeating strategy if one is engaging in economic warfare as a form of state siege craft. I expect Mr. Putin will maintain his cheaper fuel prices for his country and Mr. Biden will either find another way to constructively confront Russia or give up. Unfortunately, my instinct says, given the way I saw Mr. Biden use the State of the Union address more like a campaign whistle stop than a call to action, the plan is to wait for the right moment to capitulate.

By then, given that the U.S. and NATO have no appetite to step up real military support of Ukraine, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s valiant effort to preserve his country as an independent state will have evaporated. Ukraine will be the new Hungary. Kyiv will have become Ukraine’s Stalingrad. Putin will have begun to expand westward.

America will be an even more hollow shell of our past glory. My Red State colleague Scott Hounsell pointed out in his well-written piece that the U.S. does have an obligation to honor the bravery of Ukraine as the only nation that ever gave up an arsenal of thousands of nuclear weapons to seek a more peaceful place in the world after the Cold War. And we are abandoning them to a reincarnation of Joseph Stalin.

As military historian William DuPuy puts it so well about failed empires, “A hundred years of glory followed by a long and arduous decline.”

Link

This is definitely not the whole story. The ruble is currently valued less than one American cent- how is the devaluation of the ruble affecting the average Russian?
03-05-2022 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Todor Online
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
RE: Russian Man Shows How Low Average Gasoline Prices Are There
Devaluing most currencies makes imports cost more and exports more competitive on the international markets. It also makes locally produced goods much cheaper usually. Since Russia has been on a 10 plan to cut imports of food and consumer goods, the effect will be probably be flat. Not everything is produced in any one country, citrus, for example. Those prices will likely rise, however Russia is good at bartering with countries and will simply trade a certain quantity of wheat or oil for a certain quantity of another good and the value of either of their currencies is not an issue.

Russia has massive gold reserves that are not affected by the price of the ruble however.
03-06-2022 12:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Todor Online
Heisman

Regarding who will suffer more from chaos caused by sanctions/gas prices. I would guess the American consumer is much more willing and able to absorb a sharp price increase because we are tougher and not so pampered like Russians. We will tough it out far better because Americans are stoic people, not prone to hysteria over prices and not ones to complain about everything little thing in life that doesn’t go our way.
03-06-2022 12:15 AM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Venezuelan gas prices are incredibly low, doesn’t mean their economy has fared well.
03-06-2022 12:35 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(03-06-2022 12:15 AM)Todor Wrote:  Regarding who will suffer more from chaos caused by sanctions/gas prices. I would guess the American consumer is much more willing and able to absorb a sharp price increase because we are tougher and not so pampered like Russians. We will tough it out far better because Americans are stoic people, not prone to hysteria over prices and not ones to complain about everything little thing in life that doesn’t go our way.

Americans are tougher, more stoic and complain less than Russians? Im guessing you are engaging in compete satire here. 03-lmfao
03-06-2022 10:44 AM
BlueDragon Online
Heisman

I Root For: TSU
Very impressed by their ability to learn English from old movies. Not the first time I’ve heard this. A girl from the Netherlands told me that was the fastest way to learn English. Watching American movies with the words at the bottom of the movies for translation. His English is better than some people I know that have been here for a decade.
03-06-2022 11:13 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-06-2022 12:15 AM)Todor Wrote:  Regarding who will suffer more from chaos caused by sanctions/gas prices. I would guess the American consumer is much more willing and able to absorb a sharp price increase because we are tougher and not so pampered like Russians. We will tough it out far better because Americans are stoic people, not prone to hysteria over prices and not ones to complain about everything little thing in life that doesn’t go our way.
Well played, sir. Well played. +3

You have Zero obligation to answer my question, but I’m just honestly curious to know your opinion. Overall, do you consider Russia’s actions in Ukraine over the past 10-11 days to be justified, either morally or under the law? Do you think “invasion” is a fair/legitimate way to characterize those actions?
03-06-2022 11:46 AM
Todor Online
Heisman

(03-06-2022 10:44 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Americans are tougher, more stoic and complain less than Russians? Im guessing you are engaging in compete satire here. 03-lmfao

Just a lil.
03-06-2022 05:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.