Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tennis, Gymnastics, Swim Teams Struggle
Bookmark and Share
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Tennis, Gymnastics, Swim Teams Struggle
Our tennis, gymnastics and swim teams had a terrible ten days recently.

Our once-strong tennis teams, dotted by expensive out-of-state scholarship players, lost several matches without winning a set, albeit
to strong teams (other than Liberty of all schools who whopped the
men 7-0 without us winning one set!). We're spending lots of money
on our old outdoor tennis complex adjacent to Kaplan Arena, so let's hope we can start to get some outstanding players into the program.
Hard to believe W&M's only two national NCAA championships were in
men's tennis back in the late 1940s when we won 86 matches in a row.

The gymnastics teams have a couple of good performers, but they have been consistently finishing a bad fourth in quad meets.

And our men and women swim teams both got whomped by, of all people,
Davidson in a dual meet last week.
02-01-2022 06:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
RE: Tennis, Gymnastics, Swim Teams Struggle
(02-01-2022 06:37 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  Our tennis, gymnastics and swim teams had a terrible ten days recently.

Our once-strong tennis teams, dotted by expensive out-of-state scholarship players, lost several matches without winning a set, albeit
to strong teams (other than Liberty of all schools who whopped the
men 7-0 without us winning one set!). We're spending lots of money
on our old outdoor tennis complex adjacent to Kaplan Arena, so let's hope we can start to get some outstanding players into the program.
Hard to believe W&M's only two national NCAA championships were in
men's tennis back in the late 1940s when we won 86 matches in a row.

The gymnastics teams have a couple of good performers, but they have been consistently finishing a bad fourth in quad meets.

And our men and women swim teams both got whomped by, of all people,
Davidson in a dual meet last week.

You say tennis teamS but only the men have played this semester. The women played well in the fall and they have good players returning in the spring, highlighted by CAA Player of the Year Mila Saric. They also have a brand new Head Coach and Assistant Coach. I have no doubt that they will win the CAA tournament. Meanwhile, the team the men just lost to (Baylor) is ranked #2 in the country. If you look at the line scores you will see that the Tribe was very competitive in the four matches that were not completed (because the match had already been lost in the 3 completed matches plus the doubles point).

I also have no doubt that both the men and women swimmers will be competitive (if not win) the CAA this year, as well.
02-01-2022 08:20 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
The only Tribe sports that I follow are men's hoops and football. but even I remember that the school announced they were dropping a bunch of sports recently. I would expect that would have had a negative impact on results on the field/court for many of the "Olympic" sports. Reinstating those sports won't automatically fix this.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2022 08:43 AM by NC Tribe.)
02-01-2022 08:42 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
(02-01-2022 06:37 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  We're spending lots of money

The money being spent is primarily a gift from a generous tennis alumni family.
02-01-2022 08:43 AM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Hey Bubba … quit belittling our teams. No reason for your post, unless there’s a hidden agenda involved.

Hey Bubba … educate yourself.

It can be argued that the women’s gymnastics team is younger than the MBB team. Growing pains are expected.

Here’s the article from the last meet. Six players mentioned. Four are freshmen.

https://tribeathletics.com/news/2022/1/2...-meet.aspx
02-01-2022 10:31 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(02-01-2022 10:31 AM)nj alum Wrote:  Hey Bubba … quit belittling our teams. No reason for your post, unless there’s a hidden agenda involved.

It can be argued that the women’s gymnastics team is younger than the MBB team. Growing pains are expected.

Here’s the article from the last meet. Six players mentioned. Four are freshmen.

+1
02-01-2022 12:20 PM
TribeDeac Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William and Mar
(02-01-2022 12:20 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  [quote='nj alum' pid='18045452' dateline='1643729487']
Hey Bubba … quit belittling our teams. No reason for your post, unless there’s a hidden agenda involved.

Loss to Liberty was not expected, but Men's tennis losses were to #2 ranked Baylor and Clemson. When was the last time football or basketball played those folks. WM Mens and Women's tennis play big boy schedules.
02-01-2022 06:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.