Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis basketball is #12 in USA Today Poll
Bookmark and Share
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2206350' target='_blank'>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2206350</a>
10-28-2005 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

coogdiehard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

This season is going to be a blast, and i don't think it will take long for UAB and HOUSTON to do some damage in the polls, its funny i was filling out my NCAA brackets last season and me and my father were discussing UAB and LSU, i was telling him that UH had played both teams and the blazers were going to blow them out, he just would not listen to me, sometimes conference affiliation means everything, as bad as the SEC was last season, the so-called experts were acting as if LSU was going to destroy them. Lets get the season started so Memphis can find out they are not a one trick pony.
10-28-2005 08:29 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

I'll wait for the post -season polls, thanks. :D
10-28-2005 08:46 AM
STLouis Blazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

We'll let Memphis enjoy their "success" based off hype, while UAB will enjoy it after we go to another NCAA tournament and win at least another game while there.
10-28-2005 09:27 AM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers

Is it really that surprising that UAB doesnt appear anywhere? After 2003, people said UAB wouldnt do much in 2004 because of the talent we lost from 2003. Same thing was said in 2005. These people dont seem to understand the depth UAB has and how UAB doesnt lose much from year to year really. All the while, UAB is getting better and better recruits. I can just about guarantee you this year's team will be stronger than last year's team. Could very well end up being a better team than 2004's Sweet 16 team as well. I'm not too worried. UAB and CMA will take care of it. CMA at least knows how to lead (unlike CWB).
10-28-2005 06:23 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

STLouis Blazer Wrote:We'll let Memphis enjoy their "success" based off hype, while UAB will enjoy it after we go to another NCAA tournament and win at least another game while there.
hype??? how many final fours does UAB have...how many times has UAB been #1...we have paid our dues and earned the respect we are given...once your little school goes to a championship game you can start talking...and i wouldn't get to comfy with...what do you call him...CMA being your coach...he's far too good for UAB and the big boys are starting to realize it.

enjoy the NIT guys...it's our time now. 05-mafia 05-mafia

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
10-28-2005 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

And don't forget.. we're ranked # 6 by Sports Illustrated!

<a href='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/luke_winn/10/14/power.rankings/index.html' target='_blank'>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ings/index.html</a>

Not bad for a poor little Conference USA school... don't you think? 03-wink
10-28-2005 07:21 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers

gomemphistigers1 Wrote:
STLouis Blazer Wrote:We'll let Memphis enjoy their "success" based off hype, while UAB will enjoy it after we go to another NCAA tournament and win at least another game while there.
hype??? how many final fours does UAB have...how many times has UAB been #1...we have paid our dues and earned the respect we are given...once your little school goes to a championship game you can start talking...and i wouldn't get to comfy with...what do you call him...CMA being your coach...he's far too good for UAB and the big boys are starting to realize it.

enjoy the NIT guys...it's our time now. 05-mafia 05-mafia

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
Memphis would know alot about how much fun those NITs are, huh?

If you look at the recruiting class CMA has been able to put together already this year (and in previous years), you'll see that it doesnt look like the work of a coach that's looking for the door. He's had several great opportunities to leave UAB and hasnt. The past 2 years, there have been MANY programs looking into him (including teams from BCS conferences) and he has yet to leave. Now I wont go so far as to say I'm SURE he'll stay, but I will say that I'm not nearly as worried about losing him now as I was a year or two ago.
10-28-2005 07:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Don't be fooled by all the chest thumping around here. Sure, we're proud to see our name back in the top 15 again... but we'd be ecstatic to see UAB and Houston right up there with us.

The more exposure for the league we can get, the better.

Most of the prognosticators have completely abandoned Conference USA and left us for dead. Many of them even have the Missouri Valley ahead of us in the standings.

Time to punch them in the mouth.
10-28-2005 07:25 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators

Quote: Memphis would know alot about how much fun those NITs are, huh?

ouch...that really hurts...we go to back to back NCAA's (and beat South Carolina) and have a slip last season and go to a NIT Final Four...for Alabama at Birmingham a NIT final four would be a big deal...and i will also point out that Alabama at Birmingham fans were the ones who started the crap talking.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
10-28-2005 07:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

greekwolf Wrote:Don't be fooled by all the chest thumping around here. Sure, we're proud to see our name back in the top 15 again... but we'd be ecstatic to see UAB and Houston right up there with us.

The more exposure for the league we can get, the better.

Most of the prognosticators have completely abandoned Conference USA and left us for dead. Many of them even have the Missouri Valley ahead of us in the standings.

Time to punch them in the mouth.
And we would like to see Memphis back in the spotlight as well. But preseason polls don't put you in the Dance.

I agree it's time to punch the pundants in the mouth.

Go CUSA!
10-28-2005 08:08 PM
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:

gomemphistigers1 Wrote:for Alabama at Birmingham a NIT final four would be a big deal...and i will also point out that Alabama at Birmingham fans were the ones who started the crap talking.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
Actually it wouldn't. Been there and done that. UAB has lived up to and far beyond anyone expectations. Memphis State hasn't. It's time for you to shut up and the Tigers to live up to those expectations.

Like the Black Eye Peas say, "Lets Get It Started!"

Go CUSA!
10-28-2005 08:11 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators

i will say i want UAB to do well this season...but i think the big suprise will be Houston i see us getting Memphis, Houston, and UAB/UTEP into the NCAA's and 2-3 NIT teams...i also think UCF will suprise some folks.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
10-28-2005 08:16 PM
UofMemphis Away

Donators

Quote:UAB has lived up to and far beyond anyone expectations. Memphis State hasn't. It's time for you to shut up and the Tigers to live up to those expectations.
Memphis State was going to NCAA's with Gene Bartow before your little program was ever even an itch in a Alabama boosters pants...if it wasn't for OUR coach Alabama at Birmingham WOULDN'T EVEN EXIST.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
10-28-2005 08:20 PM
MinerTavo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

some people need to put aside the memphis pre-season jealousy and understand that the they get people talking about our conference. In fact, they're one of only 2 teams voted into the top 25 outside of the 6 "power" conferences (Nevada the other). The better they do, the better for CUSA; recognition for the rest of our programs will come along once the season gets underway and we pull off some ooc wins.
10-28-2005 08:25 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:

gomemphistigers1 Wrote:Memphis State was going to NCAA's with Gene Bartow before your little program was ever even an itch in a Alabama boosters pants...if it wasn't for OUR coach Alabama at Birmingham WOULDN'T EVEN EXIST.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
Totally irrelevant to what we are discussing. If you want to talk about the past then start another thread about it and we'll go from there.

If you want to talk about Memphis preseason hype and expectations then stick to the subject of this thread.

Your choice.
10-28-2005 08:39 PM
Advertisement

Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

gomemphistigers1 Wrote:Memphis State was going to NCAA's with Gene Bartow before your little program was ever even an itch in a Alabama boosters pants...if it wasn't for OUR coach Alabama at Birmingham WOULDN'T EVEN EXIST.
Dude, no offense, but you're coming off sounding like an a$$ 03-wink

Lord knows the chaos around here if someone mentioned that Memphis wouldn't even have a football program, if it weren't for Johnny Vaught and Ole Miss.
10-28-2005 08:47 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame

greekwolf Wrote:
Dude, no offense, but you're coming off sounding like an a$$ 03-wink

Lord knows the chaos around here if someone mentioned that Memphis wouldn't even have a football program, if it weren't for Johnny Vaught and Ole Miss.
I agree somewhat. There has been a general over-hyping of the Tigers in Cal's 5 years at Memphis and I can understand why this would disturb UAB fans. UAB has gotten little hype but they continue to go out and overachieve. When looking at Cal's first five seasons, I only see two in which there was an obvious over-hyping:

2000-01: Tigers did okay and finished about as expected- in the NIT semifinals with a 21-15 record.

2001-02: Preseason AP ranking- #12...finished in the NIT. This team was obviously hyped way up. At one point the Tigers were 20-4, 10-0 in C-USA then collapsed down the stretch, starting with a road loss at UAB. Kelly Wise's injuries hurt the team badly. Tigers finished 27-9, 12-4 in C-USA, NIT Champs.

2002-03: No hype...Tigers overachieved and made the NCAA Tournament, finishing 23-7, 13-3 in C-USA.

2003-04: This team probably did about as expected. Started out 9-4, then won 11 in a row, then finished the season 2-4. Finished 22-8, 12-4 in C-USA (co-champs) and made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

2004-05: Preseason AP ranking- #24...finished in the NIT. Last year's team was hyped as well. Sean Banks' meltdown hurt us badly. Still the team was able to finish strong in the C-USA Tournament and make it to the semis of the NIT to finish 22-16, 9-7 in C-USA. Overall, a down year.

So, to summarize:

2000-01: NO HYPE/DID ABOUT AS EXPECTED
2001-02: HYPE/UNDERACHIEVED
2002-03: NO HYPE/OVERACHIEVED
2003-04: NO HYPE/DID ABOUT AS EXPECTED
2004-05: HYPE/UNDERACHIEVED
10-28-2005 10:04 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU

Wow JMSTiger you are as usual - right on the mark.

I go with HiddenDragon and St. Louis Blazer on this - We need to shut up until we put up!
10-28-2005 10:17 PM
Coogs'89 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Just remember what Coach Penders said, "....I came here to win championships!"

Eat'em Up Coogs!
10-28-2005 11:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.