I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Miami pulls out of the Sun Bowl
12-26-2021 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
I got to think there is more to this than COVID outbreaks. I get that this is the worst the pandemic has been in terms of case count, but there are things that can be done to stage a game. Maybe schools are just looking to cut costs or maybe Presidents are giving Bowls the message that the writing is on the wall with the possible expanded playoff, and they may as well start the re-calibration process sooner than later. Kids don’t want to risk injury in these games. Fans don’t want to fork over the money to travel. You can’t have a Bowl system in this environment. And that includes the Rose Bowl.

Just go with a 16 team tournament with limited fan participation and make it all about the football, showcasing the best of the best for the next level. This appears to be the direction we are headed in. Semi-professional leagues.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2021 08:11 PM by RUScarlets.)
12-26-2021 08:08 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
SMU and ECU are available.
12-26-2021 08:15 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Damn, i love this bowl so hope they can replace Miami.

Reportedely, none of the three AAC teams that had their bowls canceled are replacement candidates.
12-26-2021 08:18 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
I think Illinois is the next one up. But I don't know. I think it's pretty much season over for everyone now. Hard to get anyone to be a replacement. Players have gone home for Christmas/New Years and are not coming back. IMO it'll just more cancellations coming as teams hit problems.
12-26-2021 08:26 PM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Bowl games falling left and right.
12-26-2021 08:33 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-26-2021 08:26 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  I think Illinois is the next one up. But I don't know. I think it's pretty much season over for everyone now. Hard to get anyone to be a replacement. Players have gone home for Christmas/New Years and are not coming back. IMO it'll just more cancellations coming as teams hit problems.

I think its too late for any 5-7 team to get ready except maybe for the one bowl on January 4th, but probably people would just wrap it up rather than trying to save that bowl (LSU-KSU). Its only 5 days until January 1.

One list I saw had Texas up next, before Illinois. But I don't know if that was official.
12-26-2021 08:41 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
12-26-2021 09:07 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
(12-26-2021 09:07 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Illinois is being picky?

That should disqualify them from ANY bowl spot.
12-26-2021 09:13 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-26-2021 09:13 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  
(12-26-2021 09:07 PM)Maize Wrote:  

Illinois is being picky?

That should disqualify them from ANY bowl spot.

You have to understand that Shahid Khan, the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars, is an Illinois alum. That was the connection to the push for the Gator Bowl in particular.

If they’re not postponing the Sun Bowl, I’m not sure if they’re going to get anyone with less than a week to prepare.
12-26-2021 09:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Miami knew several days ago that they had too many positive covid tests to play in this game. The Sun Bowl and Wazzu would have had a much better chance to find another opponent for this Dec. 31 game if Miami had conceded this inevitable outcome then, instead of waiting until the night of Dec. 26.

Even worse, Miami waited to make their announcement until after Washington State's team arrived in El Paso on Sunday.

Quote:The Cougs arrived in El Paso at 1:30 p.m. PST on Sunday, only to learn three hours later that they might be forced to conclude their memorable season in unsatisfying fashion.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-...es-roster/
12-26-2021 09:32 PM
Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
It's just where we're at right now. Omnicron is still considered the unknown, though everything points to it being milder. Everyone is being extra cautious. Next year should be better for sports in general.
12-26-2021 10:12 PM
UNT15 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
I hope they find a replacement
12-26-2021 10:32 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
The head coach at SFA is actively seeking the spot vs Washington State. 8 win fcs team in east Texas.
12-26-2021 11:13 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
Every low budget , low paying bowl drops teams like crazy. The high paying ones won't cancel no matter what the outside situation though.
12-26-2021 11:28 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(12-26-2021 11:13 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  The head coach at SFA is actively seeking the spot vs Washington State. 8 win fcs team in east Texas.

This would be pretty iconic.
12-26-2021 11:50 PM
rtist Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU & UAA
Isn't Memphis available? They're bowl eligible and their game got cancelled in Hawaii, so it would make sense.
12-27-2021 04:32 AM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
(12-26-2021 10:12 PM)Realignment Wrote:  It's just where we're at right now. Omnicron is still considered the unknown, though everything points to it being milder. Everyone is being extra cautious. Next year should be better for sports in general.

That's what people are saying, but that's what they said last year, too.

Despite the protection that the vaccines provide, the vicious Covid virus keeps mutating, and people aren't willing to make the sacrifices (wearing face coverings consistently) to stop the pandemic.

There was a major statement by health officials last week, stating that "pandemics aren't eradicated. They just fade away," suggesting that they expect Covid-19 to fade away in 2022.

However, they can't provide any definite proof that this will happen. All they can do is to say that they "think" that as it continues to mutate, it will probably evolve into a milder form of the illness, more similar to a bad cold or flu.

Of course, that's what some are saying about the Omicron variant now, but people are still being hospitalized and dying from it in sizable numbers, and no one knows for sure that there won't be another much more deadly strain like the Delta variant.

At this point, we simply don't know if the Covid-19 pandemic is going to get better or worse, or if the situation will remain more or less the same a year from now.

The officials made it clear that everyone should be getting their vaccinations and boosters, and wearing facial coverings/masks indoors with others around.

They also stated that it may turn out that we may all be better off if we just get used to the idea of wearing masks/facial coverings in most situations when we're indoors around other people. They pointed out that not only does it help protect vs. Covid, but also helps protect against colds and influenza.

Some have noticed that one of the benefits of wearing face coverings is that they haven't gotten a cold or the flue since they started.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2021 05:27 AM by Milwaukee.)
12-27-2021 05:21 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
The game is scheduled for Friday. I doubt they can come up with a viable plan to play the game at this late date. Yes, Miami probably should have pulled the plug sooner. But the Sun Bowl should also have realized they might need a backup several days ago and begun exploring alternatives. I'm guessing they did, and started putting feelers out but weren't getting much interest. SFA might be willing to take one for the team to get a big payday, but I'm afraid it would be a travesty if the NCAA were to allow it - especially if someone were to get seriously injured.
12-27-2021 08:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.