Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Signing Day
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Signing Day
#1 recruit on Rivals just flipped from FSU to Jackson State!

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/14...3Fpage%3D1
12-15-2021 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Signing Day
FSU message boards in shambles lol
12-15-2021 11:55 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(12-15-2021 11:51 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  #1 recruit on Rivals just flipped from FSU to Jackson State!

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/14...3Fpage%3D1

Incredible! Deion taking from his alma mater, no less!

I'll be curious to see what type of NIL compensation is involved because even if a recruit loves a coach that much, going from a wealthy P5 school to an FCS school has got to involve a bit more than a personal connection.
12-15-2021 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-15-2021 11:55 AM)UCbball21 Wrote:  FSU message boards in shambles lol

Ohio State fans and FSU fans are losing their **** over signing day flips to Texas and Jackson State (LOL) respectively complaining about NIL deals and how it's not fair is very entertaining. As if their programs weren't doing the same thing to everyone else.
12-15-2021 12:04 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

Welp, further to my last post, it looks like Barstool/Penn Gaming is funding this move. Hunter might be getting a Barstool streaming show out of this plus my guess is that the gaming aspect of this is less of a concern (or maybe no concern at all) at the FCS level compared to FBS.
12-15-2021 12:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
04-jawdrop04-jawdrop04-jawdrop04-jawdrop

Deion Sanders SHOCKS the world!
12-15-2021 12:05 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I tell you what - if I was the #1 person in the country for my age in virtually *any* profession (much less football), I'd be a gazillionaire. So, why shouldn't we expect the #1 recruit in a massive money-making sport to be maximizing their compensation here? It makes total sense to me.
12-15-2021 12:07 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-15-2021 12:07 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I tell you what - if I was the #1 person in the country for my age in virtually *any* profession (much less football), I'd be a gazillionaire. So, why shouldn't we expect the #1 recruit in a massive money-making sport to be maximizing their compensation here? It makes total sense to me.

So does Barstool think this kid is more marketable as an FCS player than he would be at FSU? Or is there some other connection that makes Barstool want him there? Are they more interested in marketing Deion than this kid?
12-15-2021 12:13 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-15-2021 12:13 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 12:07 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I tell you what - if I was the #1 person in the country for my age in virtually *any* profession (much less football), I'd be a gazillionaire. So, why shouldn't we expect the #1 recruit in a massive money-making sport to be maximizing their compensation here? It makes total sense to me.

So does Barstool think this kid is more marketable as an FCS player than he would be at FSU? Or is there some other connection that makes Barstool want him there? Are they more interested in marketing Deion than this kid?

Warning. This is going to make a lot of people mad.

I agree that having an NIL tied to Deion’s connections as well as being coached by a HOF DB were two main draws. Additionally, he can now be a bigger fish in a smaller pond and benefit from Coach Prime’s connections. But I think an element everyone is missing too is the desire to do something big and maybe even bigger than themselves and for a whole community.

A pitch that Dieon probably used (and confirmed by his announcement tweet) he can show the world that you can be successful and choose an HBCU and make it for yourself. You don’t have to go to a blue blood or bigger school. HBCUs are a different kind of connection that FSU couldn’t offer.
12-15-2021 12:30 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

Maybe it's all of the above. I wouldn't say that the kid is more marketable as an FCS player compared to FSU per se, but if you're talking about the value of "free advertising" that comes from these types of deals, it's a whole lot more newsworthy for this storyline of a #1 recruit choosing an FCS school over FSU with Barstool money than it is for that same recruit having a run of the mill signing day switch from one power school to another power school (e.g. switching from FSU to Ohio State/Alabama/etc.).

I'm sure there's also a measure of access for Barstool if they're wanting to create a streaming series out of this here. Deion and Jackson State are going to provide access that most power programs aren't going to provide themselves.

Plus, let's look at it as a pure entertainment proposition of what's more interesting for a neutral viewer: (a) following a top recruit at a school that gets top recruits every single year with a coach that no one outside of college football fans really cares about or (b) following a top recruit at a school that has never ever received a top recruit PLUS Deion Sanders is the coach (and whatever one thinks of him, he knows how to use the camera as well as anyone). As someone with no dog in this fight, I can tell you that the latter has the potential to be uniquely compelling television, while the former would be like those docs that you see on BTN/SECN/ACCN (which vary in quality). I can totally see the appeal for Barstool.
12-15-2021 12:35 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2021 12:30 PM)SouthernMissSNu Wrote:  

I agree that having an NIL tied to Deion’s connections as well as being coached by a HOF DB were two main draws. Additionally, he can now be a bigger fish in a smaller pond and benefit from Coach Prime’s connections. But I think an element everyone is missing too is the desire to do something big and maybe even bigger than themselves and for a whole community.

A pitch that Dieon probably used (and confirmed by his announcement tweet) he can show the world that you can be successful and choose an HBCU and make it for yourself. You don’t have to go to a blue blood or bigger school. HBCUs are a different kind of connection that FSU couldn’t offer.

I don't think you're wrong. That element also plays into Barstool's interest as another factor on why this storyline is compelling in a way that isn't possible at a traditional power school.
12-15-2021 12:36 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
lol-
12-15-2021 12:47 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-15-2021 12:04 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 11:55 AM)UCbball21 Wrote:  FSU message boards in shambles lol

Ohio State fans and FSU fans are losing their **** over signing day flips to Texas and Jackson State (LOL) respectively complaining about NIL deals and how it's not fair is very entertaining. As if their programs weren't doing the same thing to everyone else.

Sarkasian kept local Ohio St., Michigan and OU commits home with signing day flips. So far, Texas hasn't lost anyone (although a couple days ago a guy who committed to Texas after Riley left OU recommitted to OU). Sark only has 3 committments unsigned.

A player flipping from FSU to Jackson St. is certainly a bigger splash for Barstool than a flip from FSU to Ohio St. or Clemson.
12-15-2021 12:53 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-15-2021 12:36 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 12:30 PM)SouthernMissSNu Wrote:  

I don't think you're wrong. That element also plays into Barstool's interest as another factor on why this storyline is compelling in a way that isn't possible at a traditional power school.

Yep. And from a business perspective for Barstool, it draws in another untapped target audience as well.
12-15-2021 12:54 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(12-15-2021 12:47 PM)stever20 Wrote:  lol-

Brilliant
12-15-2021 12:56 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

This has to be a reality tv show right? Hunter going to a HBCU and that journey of creating a dynasty has a lot of entertainment value. I'd watch that all day!

If Coach Prime can keep the spotlight on Jackson State. The money is going to be pouring in. The black community will donate to see a HBCU rise the take on the bluebloods. Post-Kaepernick and Social Justice movements, America could be hungry for a HBCU to become a premier college football juggernaut.

FCS to FBS
Facility upgrades
Conference Affiliation

This could be the start of something amazing. Deion Sanders needs to remain committed to this vision. If Sanders takes a P5 job this all falls apart.
12-15-2021 01:02 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

But how can I embrace the amateur ideal of college sports while watching my school's $5M/year coach on the sidelines of our $300M stadium with my $250 ticket including concessions delivered to my seat, if I can't be assured that those ungrateful jerks on the field won't get one red dime for working for my entertainment? How?
12-15-2021 01:28 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(12-15-2021 01:02 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  If Sanders takes a P5 job this all falls apart.

This deal helps make Deion a reasonable candidate for a P5 job. Up until now, he's been considered a freak show, a side show. He was a candidate for the TCU job recently, and TCU was laughed at for considering him. Deion has taken advantage of NIL and the new environment. A P5 school now has to take him seriously as a recruiter and as a coach. Deion to the P5 is still an out-of-the-box hire, but just became more of a real possibility. This Barstool reality show can help him if it is done well.

Ironically, he hurt the program at his alma mater with this signing. But, he could also be a candidate at FSU if the job opens up again.
12-15-2021 01:37 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(12-15-2021 01:37 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 01:02 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  If Sanders takes a P5 job this all falls apart.

This deal helps make Deion a reasonable candidate for a P5 job. Up until now, he's been considered a freak show, a side show. He was a candidate for the TCU job recently, and TCU was laughed at for considering him. Deion has taken advantage of NIL and the new environment. A P5 school now has to take him seriously as a recruiter and as a coach. Deion to the P5 is still an out-of-the-box hire, but just became more of a real possibility. This Barstool reality show can help him if it is done well.

Ironically, he hurt the program at his alma mater with this signing. But, he could also be a candidate at FSU if the job opens up again.

I was in the Fire Mike Norvell Twitter Space for awhile once the news broke and this came up. Some of them doubted if big money boosters at FSU would want another black coach after Taggart. We heard a lot of racist rumblings from FSU towards the end of the Taggart era.

They just signed Mike Norvell to an extension.

I am curious to see what Jackson State does next. Can they continue to build the program by leaps and bounds? You have my attention.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2021 01:50 PM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
12-15-2021 01:47 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(12-15-2021 01:47 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(12-15-2021 01:37 PM)johnintx Wrote:  

I was in the Fire Mike Norvell Twitter Space for awhile once the news broke and this came up. Some of them doubted if big money boosters at FSU would want another black coach after Taggart. We heard a lot of racist rumblings from FSU towards the end of the Taggart era.

They just signed Mike Norvell to an extension.

I am curious to see what Jackson State does next. Can they continue to build the program by leaps and bounds? You have my attention.

Based on these statements, and the current recruiting flip, Deion's bridge to FSU may have been burned.

As much as Deion would like to prove himself at the P5 level, he may just stay at Jackson State. He'd like to be the guy that revolutionized HBCU football. He is uniquely positioned to raise the status of HBCU football and consequently HBCUs in general. Going all the way back to his days as a player at FSU, he is an endless and shameless promoter. As much as he'd like the P5 paycheck, he has already made and lost more than most of us will make in a lifetime and can live on what Jackson State can pay.

Either way, as long as Jackson State wins, Deion wins.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2021 02:37 PM by johnintx.)
12-15-2021 01:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.