EMU Breaking News
12-09-2021 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: EMU Breaking News
Good. It needed a new name in the worst way.

If I had won the lottery, I would’ve donated enough to name it the “Tim Bond Chase-Down Block Arena”, but The George Gervin Center (or whatever it’ll be called) will be cool too.
12-09-2021 06:39 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear steve,
So, do you think it will be the Gervin Basketball Center? Is he the greatest, best, whatever choice? It wouldn't offend me, but could there be other names like coaches that might be considered?
12-09-2021 06:40 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(12-09-2021 06:40 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear steve,
So, do you think it will be the Gervin Basketball Center? Is he the greatest, best, whatever choice? It wouldn't offend me, but could there be other names like coaches that might be considered?

I have NO idea. It won't be the George Gervin [Memorial] Convocation and Athletic Center. EDIT: What I mean is that "memorial" won't be part of the name.

I hope George has a long life and enjoy the recognition (assuming that we are correct as to the naming.)

It could be the Bob W. Convocation and Athletic Center but I wouldn't bet on it. 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao03-lmfao The way the wording is, I think the person is someone connected to EMU, but not an alum, and certainly Gervin meets that definition, i.e., former student.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2021 07:13 PM by emu steve.)
12-09-2021 06:48 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I love not commercializing NCAA sports and keeping them as amateur in nature as possible.

That said we just had Notre Dame's football coach bolt while his team still had a chance at the National Championship. Players are collecting NIL compensation. The "horse" of amateurism has left the barn and ain't coming back.

I like honoring prior coaches and Administrators but that presents complications when the histories of Sponberg, Schembechler, Paterno, etc... come into question.

Personal opinion. If Game Above or anyone else wants to sign a 10 year agreement to name it the Gervin Center, by all means do it if the money is right. Additionally, allow St Joe's and others to compete as well. College sports are the "front porch" of the University and ignoring the monetization potential of naming rights for facilities is a legacy practice that is outdated.
12-09-2021 07:13 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-09-2021 07:13 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I love not commercializing NCAA sports and keeping them as amateur in nature as possible.

That said we just had Notre Dame's football coach bolt while his team still had a chance at the National Championship. Players are collecting NIL compensation. The "horse" of amateurism has left the barn and ain't coming back.

I like honoring prior coaches and Administrators but that presents complications when the histories of Sponberg, Schembechler, Paterno, etc... come into question.

Personal opinion. If Game Above or anyone else wants to sign a 10 year agreement to name it the Gervin Center, by all means do it if the money is right. Additionally, allow St Joe's and others to compete as well. College sports are the "front porch" of the University and ignoring the monetization potential of naming rights for facilities is a legacy practice that is outdated.

I asked Doc Fennel about this after the Convo was built. The monetary offers were not satisfactory.
12-09-2021 07:20 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

Interesting news, and thanks for sharing, Steve! … my guess…

the GameAbove Gervin Center
12-09-2021 07:23 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-09-2021 07:23 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Interesting news, and thanks for sharing, Steve! … my guess…

the GameAbove Gervin Center

Not sure I agree, although their name is on the College of Engineering. Correct? So it isn't impossible.

One thing which has really impressed me about the Game Above group is how they do so much but try to not make it about themselves.

One reason: Game Above is not a commercial enterprise like Comerica Bank, Little Caesars, etc. etc. and not trying to market it.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2021 07:35 PM by emu steve.)
12-09-2021 07:32 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Ben Braun Court at the George Gervin Center.
12-09-2021 07:43 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(12-09-2021 07:20 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-09-2021 07:13 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I love not commercializing NCAA sports and keeping them as amateur in nature as possible.

I asked Doc Fennel about this after the Convo was built. The monetary offers were not satisfactory.

Doc Fennel was indeed a legend. That said, WHO determined what was a SATISFACTORY offer and what level was it at?

Businesses operate with the term "incrementality", some revenue is better than nothing at all. For the 22+ years of its existence, the Convocation Center has delivered ZERO income with respect to it naming rights. I would not term that as SATISFACTORY, all due respect to The Doc.
12-09-2021 08:23 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

EMU Breaking News
Am I the only one that hears the name Doc Fennel and thinks back to disecting a fetal pig while listening to his voice on a cassette tape?
12-09-2021 09:07 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-09-2021 07:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  Ben Braun Court at the George Gervin Center.

Jim Streeter media center at Ben Braun Court at the George Gervin Convocation and Athletic Center
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2021 05:11 AM by emu steve.)
12-10-2021 05:11 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I think it will a combination of Game Above and George Gervin as many of many of you do. So is the contribution going to the athletic fund or the general university or both?
12-10-2021 06:31 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-10-2021 06:31 AM)emu79 Wrote:  I think it will a combination of Game Above and George Gervin as many of many of you do. So is the contribution going to the athletic fund or the general university or both?

Good question about where the funds will go.

Wild guess: Help pay down the SAPC.

As far as Game Above, I don't think it will be part of the formal name ala "Game Above George Gervin Convocation and Athletics Center" (that's pretty long).

I can see Game Above signage at the Convo to indicate their sponsorship but keep the name short. Or maybe things like Game Above signage of the court as well as signage at the entrances, etc.

I already have a rash tag: #GGCAC (George Gervin Convocation and Athletics Center).

And our students will say, "I'm going to the Gervin Center..." (hopefully a lot do).
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2021 07:04 AM by emu steve.)
12-10-2021 07:01 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

(12-09-2021 06:39 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Good. It needed a new name in the worst way.

If I had won the lottery, I would’ve donated enough to name it the “Tim Bond Chase-Down Block Arena”, but The George Gervin Center (or whatever it’ll be called) will be cool too.

He was good for at least one a game!
LOVED watching that guy play.
12-10-2021 08:57 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2021 08:57 AM)KPJ Wrote:  
(12-09-2021 06:39 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Good. It needed a new name in the worst way.

He was good for at least one a game!
LOVED watching that guy play.

Tim was the “Man”
12-10-2021 09:09 AM
Advertisement

alum93 Offline
2nd String

Maybe Delta airlines.
12-10-2021 06:56 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(12-10-2021 06:56 PM)alum93 Wrote:  Maybe Delta

Omicron
12-10-2021 07:22 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

12-10-2021 07:44 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(12-09-2021 09:07 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Am I the only one that hears the name Doc Fennel and thinks back to disecting a fetal pig while listening to his voice on a cassette tape?

What? Who was Doc Fennel??
12-10-2021 08:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.