Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston, Rice and SMU should
Bookmark and Share
shortbob Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

or just drop football. Tulane, playing a home game in Ruston, had outdrew you. TCU must be rotflthao at the CUSA's west division attendence.
Esp Houston. Preseason contender, winning record, bowl implications? Anyone care to list the highschools that outdrew you this weekend in the Houston area? Had to be dozens. Small wonder the Big 12 dissed you. Until you prove otherwise Houston has won the "out suck each other contest" among the CUSA west's Wee three. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:green Wave kicking Wee Three's butt = 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick
10-16-2005 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

charles Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis

shortbob Wrote:or just drop football. Tulane, playing a home game in Ruston, had outdrew you. TCU must be rotflthao at the CUSA's west division attendence.
Esp Houston. Preseason contender, winning record, bowl implications? Anyone care to list the highschools that outdrew you this weekend in the Houston area? Had to be dozens. Small wonder the Big 12 dissed you. Until you prove otherwise Houston has won the "out suck each other contest" among the CUSA west's Wee three. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:green Wave kicking Wee Three's butt = 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick
TCU's fan support ain't that great either. Despite 8 winning seasons in the last 11 years and a winning record so far this season they still only average 30K. A program with a truly large fan base would AT LEAST be hitting 40K by now. Instead their highest average is 36K. TCU's stadium seats around 44K so the fact that they can't even hit 40K is not due to lack of seats. The main problem for schools in Houston and DFW is the fact that there are too many major professional teams and the Big-12 schools are too close to them. So even if TCU, SMU, Rice, Houston, or UNT have a winning season their attendance will always be just modest.
10-16-2005 06:49 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Shortbob?

Interesting choice of handle. I'll bet Freud would have a field day with that.

Do any USM fans actually claim this guy?
10-16-2005 06:59 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

I'll claim him only because I agree with him with the exception of Houston.
10-16-2005 07:02 PM
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights

Since when is 28K for a homecoming game something we should consider "acceptable" ?
10-16-2005 07:13 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

st932253 Wrote:Since when is 28K for a homecoming game something we should consider "acceptable" ?
Its not, but its probably double what those cats will get for theirs.
10-16-2005 07:22 PM
charles Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis

st932253 Wrote:Since when is 28K for a homecoming game something we should consider "acceptable" ?
Hattiesburg is not a pro town but it is a small town and the SEC schools aren't far away. College athletics tend to thrive in places that have a large population but no professional sports teams or a plethora of BCS teams nearby. If you're in a small town or a large city with lots of competition for the sports $$ from BCS or professional teams you need to be in a BCS conference or else you're going to have a hard time putting butts in the seats. If you're in that situation a small but functional stadium is best.
10-16-2005 07:23 PM
AtlantaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:

USM, or any C-USA school, have absolutely no right to criticize anyone about attendance. Houston, Rice & SMU and most of the conference schools are all trying to get numbers up. Can't believe this is brought up, obviously to stir things up. Wins & losses are fair game however.
10-16-2005 07:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

charles Wrote:
Hattiesburg is not a pro town but it is a small town and the SEC schools aren't far away. College athletics tend to thrive in places that have a large population but no professional sports teams or a plethora of BCS teams nearby. If you're in a small town or a large city with lots of competition for the sports $$ from BCS or professional teams you need to be in a BCS conference or else you're going to have a hard time putting butts in the seats. If you're in that situation a small but functional stadium is best.
So true. If you look at schools that are the big dog in a state or in a big city you usually find good attendance. It might dip during losing periods as it happens for professional teams but ultimately fans follow whichever local or nearby team is considered to be the most big time. That's why being a non-bcs school in the midst of a lot of big dogs is rough.
10-16-2005 07:40 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights

And that's the kind of mentality that will keep the division between the have's and have-not's so strong.

"There are too many BCS schools here to have good attendance"

That's crap.
10-16-2005 11:00 PM
SMUPhil Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU

Ok, well let's cut UCF's enrollment to 6,000 undergrad, confined to a single campus. Let's also pretend that not only do UF, FSU, and Miami have football tradition (Texas, TxA&M, TxTech), but also USF, FAU, and FIU do as well (Houston, Rice, TCU). Oh, and let's drop "America's (NFL) Team" in Orlando. Let's see how you'd do with attendance and crappy records.
10-16-2005 11:25 PM
OwlSD Offline
Way Out West

I Root For: Owls and Bears
Baseball GeniusDonators

SMUPhil Wrote:Ok, well let's cut UCF's enrollment to 6,000 undergrad, confined to a single campus. Let's also pretend that not only do UF, FSU, and Miami have football tradition (Texas, TxA&M, TxTech), but also USF, FAU, and FIU do as well (Houston, Rice, TCU). Oh, and let's drop "America's (NFL) Team" in Orlando. Let's see how you'd do with attendance and crappy records.
Absolutely correct. And completely obvious to anyone who has a clue about anything.

In other words, obvious to everyone except the mental midgets (or maybe that should be "mental shorties") who have demonstrated in this thread that they don't have a clue about anything.
10-17-2005 12:49 AM
Cane Gang Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

One other little thing about the Rice/UH games this past Saturday (both played in Houston) -- the Astros had a home playoff game the same day. Hard to compete with that, especially Rice who was 0-4 coming in to the game.
10-17-2005 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Cane Gang Wrote:One other little thing about the Rice/UH games this past Saturday (both played in Houston) -- the Astros had a home playoff game the same day. Hard to compete with that, especially Rice who was 0-4 coming in to the game.
Bingo, In addition to standing room only at Minute Maid, virtually every TV in Houston was turned to the Astros-Cardinals NL Championship Series game. I saw fans in Rice Stadium with radio and ear phones.

Oh, did I mention that all three games (Rice's, Houston's and the Astros) all had a 3:00 start time?

Factor in that Rice's undergraduate enrollment is 2,900 . . . . and Tulsa's is smaller.

and that it's mid-October and it was our first home game (Rita moved the Navy game to next Saturday), and our team is off to its worst start since the 1980's, so some excitement has been lost.

Given all of the above, the attendance figure is shocking only if you look at it in a vacuum.
10-17-2005 12:56 PM
EastStang Offline
All American

I Root For:

For SMU its 17 years of torture and with no slap at ECU meant by this, ECU ain't UT, TT, Baylor, Arkansas or A&M. Many SMU fans have just not gotten over the demise of the SWC and probably never will.
10-17-2005 05:12 PM
shortbob Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

:seehearspeak: owls, cougars and stangs. Oh my!
Rice's attendence did not surprise me. The irony of this situation is that just a few short monthes ago some Rice fans were gloating about Rice's rich football tradition. My point then, and now, is Rice has no football tradition but has a football history that includes significant accomplishments that occured decades ago.
UH is the opposite of Rice. UH has a large enrollment, huge alumni base and a competitive team with post season aspirations. Perhaps UH's low attendence was a failure of the UH sports marketing missing an oppotunity. Whatever the reason [excuse] UH should have had more fans.
I hope things improve. Go CUSA.
10-17-2005 05:38 PM
Robert Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I agree with what short Bob has said about houston, rice, and smu.
11-02-2005 12:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.