Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcat29 Offline

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: The Oracle: USF’s on-campus stadium will be a bust
(11-22-2021 06:35 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  usf's student run newspaper:

OPINION: USF’s on-campus stadium will be a bust

https://www.usforacle.com/2021/11/21/opi...be-a-bust/
The article isn't wrong. But all of college football is insane when it comes to money spent in relation to the mission of an academic institution.

If they want in the B12, its pay to play.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2022 08:24 AM by bearcat29.)
11-22-2021 08:20 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Of course a UCF fan posted this from some random student who probably doesn't like sports to begin with. Every school in the country has one of these types of opinion pieces posted about how much money is spent on athletics for no real return.
11-22-2021 08:22 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
More money needs to go to upgrading the soccer stadium. Football can then use that. It's a beautiful facility.

https://gousfbulls.com/galleries/general.../608/37608
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 08:59 AM by firmbizzle.)
11-22-2021 08:58 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Have to dis agree I think it will be a great add.
11-22-2021 09:12 AM
ksniner Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Charlotte
The return is definitely indirect, but coming from a school that added an on campus stadium(size notwithstanding) recently the benefit to having alum's/students on campus throughout the fall is a huge benefit to the university. We always had Bball but it is not the same.

The change in students weekend behavior is the most notable to me as an alum from the "commuter school" days. I am sure some still go home, but a lot are at least staying through the football games... and it is getting more noticeable each year.
I would recommend USF spend to get on campus, even if it is UCF,FAU,FIU build quality.
11-22-2021 09:21 AM
Advertisement

muckdawg24 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
USF needs to get it done but they also need to pair down expectations and build a future expandable stadium instead of trying for a moon shot right out of the gate.
11-22-2021 09:37 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(11-22-2021 09:37 AM)muckdawg24 Wrote:  USF needs to get it done but they also need to pair down expectations and build a future expandable stadium instead of trying for a moon shot right out of the gate.

They need to focus on premium seating even if the stadium is small. Each seat needs a minimum of 2 cupholders and not the angled ones that spill full beers.
11-22-2021 09:48 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(11-22-2021 08:20 AM)bearcat29 Wrote:  

The article isn't wrong. But all of college football is insane when it comes to money spent in relation to the mission of an academic institution.

If the want in the B12, its pay to play.

If that's the "reason" they build an OCS, then I'm afraid they are wasting their money.

There really is no reason for the B12 to go after USF now. They have their "Florida Team," I can't find a reason that USF would enhance the Conference or what USF brings to the Conference.

That ship has sailed. So, USF will either build an OCS to help their program or not. Maybe RayJay is the better option at this point: OCS's are expensive and only used six times a year, unless you make it a "Multi-purpose" facility with a track or can double as a soccer stadium.
11-22-2021 09:49 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
usf needs the OCS. Weatherford said they are going to get it done. The program is down now but someone in Tampa needs to have some foresight and plan for the future. The student is trolling and going for the splashy troll headline to get a job. The more click traffic we give it the more we support the usf student. Future writer at the Tampa Bay Times with headlines that kick usf while their down.

The more usf drags its feet, the more likely FAU surpasses usf in the new AAC.

(11-22-2021 08:22 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Of course a UCF fan posted this from some random student who probably doesn't like sports to begin with. Every school in the country has one of these types of opinion pieces posted about how much money is spent on athletics for no real return.

It is usf hate week. Expect an increase in our trolling this week. Let it be known by all... usf sucks.
[Image: horns-down.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2021 09:32 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
11-22-2021 09:58 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

One consistency since forever is students are upset at any spending period. "I dont participate in X, so why am I paying an X Fee???". Student newspapers are the worst place to go for unbiased non knee jerk journalism. 07-coffee3
11-22-2021 11:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(11-22-2021 09:49 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

If that's the "reason" they build an OCS, then I'm afraid they are wasting their money.

There really is no reason for the B12 to go after USF now. They have their "Florida Team," I can't find a reason that USF would enhance the Conference or what USF brings to the Conference.

That ship has sailed. So, USF will either build an OCS to help their program or not. Maybe RayJay is the better option at this point: OCS's are expensive and only used six times a year, unless you make it a "Multi-purpose" facility with a track or can double as a soccer stadium.
Youre very wrong on this. And they very much need to act an build like a Power Conference team even if they do not get in.
11-22-2021 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Looks like a fabulous plan that should have been enacted 15 years ago. Better late than never.
11-22-2021 12:00 PM
mikeinoki Offline
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
Student Newspapers 03-lmfao

The East Carolinian 11/02/21: Athletic spending hurts students at large universities

There could be some validity to that proposition. Unfortunately, that article didn't find any of it. I guess the kids have to start somewhere.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2021 06:51 PM by mikeinoki.)
11-22-2021 03:31 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Sooner or later the P5 will stop inviting new members. The best thing you can do is invest in stuff like this and try to build a fanbase. If everyone does it, it'll still be a respectable league.

Just like if everyone accelerates at the same time there would be no more traffic, right guys? Right??
11-22-2021 03:41 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(11-22-2021 09:58 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  usf needs the OCS. Weatherford said they are going to get it done. The program is down now but someone in Tampa needs to have some foresight and plan for the future. The student is trolling and going for the splashy troll headline to get a job. The more click traffic we give it the more we support the usf student. Future writer at the Tampa Bay Times with headlines that kick usf while their down.

The more usf drags its feet, the more likely FAU surpasses usf in the new AAC.

(11-22-2021 08:22 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Of course a UCF fan posted this from some random student who probably doesn't like sports to begin with. Every school in the country has one of these types of opinion pieces posted about how much money is spent on athletics for no real return.

It is usf hate week. Expect an increase in our trolling this week. Let it be know by all... usf sucks.
[Image: horns-down.gif]

The Co-Editor of the Student Paper did make a solid point that usf should focus on INCREASING their actual fan base at games vs just blindly spending $250 Million and hope it would improve attendance.

FAU built a 30,000 seat stadium 10 years ago...and they can probably count on one hand the number of games that drew more than 20,000 "actual" fans to the stadium.

Even UAB....who is having a great year...has drawn "announced" crowds of 21,000-22,000 in their brand new 47,000 seat stadium the city/county built for them. (They even fell 10,000 short of a sellout in their stadium opener).

To the writer's point...its cheaper to focus on improving culture and school spirit vs building a $250 Million joint and HOPING the culture/spirit will improve.
11-22-2021 05:16 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
You might as well label that an opinion piece. Student “journalists” tend to be your left leaning Che Guevara t-shirt types who hate organized sports and want to bring an end to them.
11-22-2021 05:36 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH

Can confirm. Yearly we have to remind students that the salaries of head coaches are mainly paid for by donors.
11-22-2021 06:02 PM
Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

Quote from the opinion column:

"The money required to build such an overly ambitious stadium isn’t reasonable given the average attendance at USF football games. This project should be put on the backburner for when attendance increases."

Can't make an omelet unless you crack some eggs.

Doing next to nothing isn't going to magically make attendance increase at USF. There may not be a Big 12 opening now, but we all know there will be shifting in the college sports landscape again at some point. And USF has to prepare itself for it. I still think an on-campus stadium is a great way to do that. Having watched UCF football in both the Citrus Bowl and in the Bounce House, there is simply no comparison.

I get why there are students who don't want to pay higher athletic fees, but the reality is that a strong athletic program helps increase the value of your degree. Dr. John C. Hitt, former UCF president, once point out at a meeting I attended that it's great for schools to be known for academic achievements, but athletic achievements bring another level of prestige. To accomplish this, universities have to take some financial risk.

Get to work on that omelet, USF.
11-23-2021 12:29 AM
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
It seems to make no sense to think about investing in another stadium when USF clearly needs to spend the money on getting better coaches and coaching staffs.
11-23-2021 12:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.