Just not two..
11-04-2021 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Vote on MAC divisions
(11-04-2021 07:47 AM)Blue Raider Dave Wrote:  3

I'll second this, I'd be happy with 1 or 3 but I like 3 more.
11-04-2021 07:51 AM
All4One Offline
Banned

I Root For: Genuine & Unprivileged
Definitely 3. You preserve all of the critical MAC rivalries that way and diversify the divisions for the sake of visibility and recruiting. Buffalo traveling to Ohio for every away MAC East Division contest doesn't feel right. 4 states East. 4 states West.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2021 08:06 AM by All4One.)
11-04-2021 07:58 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
#1 makes the most sense to me. No need to protect primary rivalries and disrupting the schedule for everyone else by limiting who you play in the other division (e.g. Miami-Toledo as one example, currently.)
11-04-2021 08:06 AM
Advertisement

mpurdy22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miami (OH)
I think #1 is likely, but #3 would work as well
11-04-2021 08:19 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
On the map, this does not look like a big deal to me with any of the scenarios...
11-04-2021 08:24 AM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

3, because it preserves rivalries.
11-04-2021 08:26 AM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
I also voted for #3.

If #1 wins out, I propose we name the blue division the .... *ahem* Johnson Division.
11-04-2021 08:28 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
Voted for 1, but another alternative would be to split WKU and MTSU with permanent crossovers

East:
Buffalo
Kent St.
Akron
Ohio
Miami
BGSU (PC - Toledo)
MTSU (PC - WKU)

West:
NIU
Ball St.
WMU
CMU
EMU
Toledo (PC - BGSU)
WKU (PC - MTSU)

This would essentially just shift the Ball St./Miami permanent crossover to WKU/MTSU
11-04-2021 08:35 AM
Advertisement

freshtop Online
All American

(11-04-2021 08:35 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  Voted for 1, but another alternative would be to split WKU and MTSU with permanent crossovers

East:
Buffalo
Kent St.
Akron
Ohio
Miami
BGSU (PC - Toledo)
MTSU (PC - WKU)

West:
NIU
Ball St.
WMU
CMU
EMU
Toledo (PC - BGSU)
WKU (PC - MTSU)

This would essentially just shift the Ball St./Miami permanent crossover to WKU/MTSU

I like this idea as well.
11-04-2021 08:44 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
I think from a MTSU fan’s perspective, as long as we are with WKU and Ohio I’d be happy. I voted for two because selfishly it seems the closest distance for MTSU fans to drive.
11-04-2021 08:54 AM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-04-2021 08:06 AM)axeme Wrote:  #1 makes the most sense to me. No need to protect primary rivalries and disrupting the schedule for everyone else by limiting who you play in the other division (e.g. Miami-Toledo as one example, currently.)

Agree.
11-04-2021 08:55 AM
BeatWestern! Online
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(11-04-2021 08:35 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  Voted for 1, but another alternative would be to split WKU and MTSU with permanent crossovers

East:
Buffalo
Kent St.
Akron
Ohio
Miami
BGSU (PC - Toledo)
MTSU (PC - WKU)

West:
NIU
Ball St.
WMU
CMU
EMU
Toledo (PC - BGSU)
WKU (PC - MTSU)

Although as a CMU fan, I favor #3, I'm quite sure the above configuration is what's on the table. This is how all the schools agreed to the adds, i.e., everyone has to share in the cost of travel to the two new members south of the Ohio River.
11-04-2021 09:29 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(11-04-2021 08:35 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  This would essentially just shift the Ball St./Miami permanent crossover to WKU/MTSU

Having protected crossovers in a 7 team division format is very sub optimal.

Basically, that means those four teams (WKU/MTSU/Miami/BSU) would have to wait 12 years to host every MAC team from the other division.

If you avoid those games by basing conferences on rivalry pairs you cut that time in half and you would play every team in the conference every 3.5 years with a home & home every seven.
11-04-2021 09:53 AM
Advertisement

zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-04-2021 09:29 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  

East:
Buffalo
Kent St.
Akron
Ohio
Miami
BGSU (PC - Toledo)
MTSU (PC - WKU)

West:
NIU
Ball St.
WMU
CMU
EMU
Toledo (PC - BGSU)
WKU (PC - MTSU)

Although as a CMU fan, I favor #3, I'm quite sure the above configuration is what's on the table. This is how all the schools agreed to the adds, i.e., everyone has to share in the cost of travel to the two new members south of the Ohio River.

How is that going to work for sports like volleyball and basketball? They play the noob in their division away every year but they're not going to play the noob in the other division away every year. Some years they're going to fly down there for just one game and fly back.
11-04-2021 09:54 AM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-04-2021 09:29 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Although as a CMU fan, I favor #3, I'm quite sure the above configuration is what's on the table. This is how all the schools agreed to the adds, i.e., everyone has to share in the cost of travel to the two new members south of the Ohio River.

How big is this burden? It probably does not apply in men's or women's basketball, since we do not have divisions right now. It does not apply men's soccer, where we only have four schools playing.

In baseball and softball, being in the West with the southern schools could be an advantage, as it would enable schools to get more games in earlier in the year. (I'm not sure that advantage moves the needle much, but a baseball coach or softball coach might well prefer to be in the division with the southern schools.)

Also, in quite a few sports, I would think a trip south of the Ohio could include games or matches with both schools in one trip. That means one trip south of the Ohio every two years, not an annual trip.

I don't want to completely dismiss the additional cost that the Michigan schools would face being in a division with the southern schools. But I'm not sure it's quite as bad as it looks on paper.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2021 10:03 AM by Schadenfreude.)
11-04-2021 10:02 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(11-04-2021 09:53 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 08:35 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  This would essentially just shift the Ball St./Miami permanent crossover to WKU/MTSU

Basically, that means those four teams (WKU/MTSU/Miami/BSU) would have to wait 12 years to host every MAC team from the other division.

If you avoid those games by basing conferences on rivalry pairs you cut that time in half and you would play every team in the conference every 3.5 years with a home & home every seven.

I guarantee part of the agreement is WKU and MTSU play yearly. There is way too much history/hate there for it not to be a yearly thing. I’m sure the MAC teams have great rivalries but this one is about as good as they get at the G5 level. My money is on us being in the same division vs a protected crossover.
11-04-2021 10:06 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(11-04-2021 10:06 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(11-04-2021 09:53 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

I guarantee part of the agreement is WKU and MTSU play yearly. There is way too much history/hate there for it not to be a yearly thing. I’m sure the MAC teams have great rivalries but this one is about as good as they get at the G5 level. My money is on us being in the same division vs a protected crossover.

I agree, and that's accomplished by putting them in the same division. We've had a Toledo / BG protected game for a long time, but with only five games in the division it's not been too big a problem.
11-04-2021 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.