BYU-#17
Houston #20

https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-football-poll

Coaches Poll has

Cinci-#2
Houston-#19
BYU-#20

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/po...95&irgwc=1

Additionally, 2 current B12 members expected to remain in the Big12 are also ranked.

AP Poll
Oklahoma St-#11
Baylor-#14

Coaches Poll
Oklahoma St-#11
Baylor-#13

Thus, the expected post 2023 version of the Big12 currently has 5 teams ranked in the top 25---with one qualifying for the 4-team playoff if the season stopped today. Not too shabby.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2021 01:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
10-31-2021 01:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Online
Heisman

I Root For: UH
RE: Three Future Big12 Members Currently Ranked--5 Post 2023 B12 Teams ranked
Equally important the Pac and ACC only have 1 each. #P3
10-31-2021 02:49 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
NEW b12 looking pretty stout.
10-31-2021 03:28 PM
maccoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
[Image: FDDtMOcXIAINxMX?format=jpg&name=large]
10-31-2021 04:39 PM
JamesNathan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BYU
Keep in mind that much of BYU's schedule to this point has been P5 teams plus Boise State (and an in-state rival). I think it shows they are ready. Now, Baylor showed they have a ways to go. Then again, Baylor also showed the Longhorns that UT has a ways to go, too.
11-01-2021 12:57 PM
WhoseHouse? Online
Heisman

I Root For: UH
(11-01-2021 12:57 PM)JamesNathan Wrote:  Keep in mind that much of BYU's schedule to this point has been P5 teams plus Boise State (and an in-state rival). I think it shows they are ready. Now, Baylor showed they have a ways to go. Then again, Baylor also showed the Longhorns that UT has a ways to go, too.

They're going to be miserable in the SEC lol
11-01-2021 01:55 PM
Advertisement

AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Auburn/SEC
(11-01-2021 01:55 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 12:57 PM)JamesNathan Wrote:  Keep in mind that much of BYU's schedule to this point has been P5 teams plus Boise State (and an in-state rival). I think it shows they are ready. Now, Baylor showed they have a ways to go. Then again, Baylor also showed the Longhorns that UT has a ways to go, too.

Lol maybe so. I used think Texas was the right coach away, but they don't give anyone time anyway.

Herman should have been given another year or two to fix what Strong left behind. Now a lot of them are complaining about Sark. It's starting to look more like a culture issue than anything else at this point. It's mind boggling how good they should be, compared to what they currently are.

Regarding the polls, let's see what the (New) Big 12 looks like once the new teams get in. The balance will be solid. It kind of reminds me of the Big East where the champion would sometimes be sitting there at 8-4. We need to see which teams separate themselves each season. For example. In the SEC we have 6-6 teams dominate other conferences champions or top 2-3 teams most seasons. Same with the B1G. There will be seasons that the Big 12's 4th-5th place team would have won every G conference. You'll pay for it in the rankings most seasons though.
11-01-2021 06:10 PM
Coog Engineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: GO COOGS!
(11-01-2021 06:10 PM)AubTiger16 Wrote:  
(11-01-2021 01:55 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  

Lol maybe so. I used think Texas was the right coach away, but they don't give anyone time anyway.

Herman should have been given another year or two to fix what Strong left behind. Now a lot of them are complaining about Sark. It's starting to look more like a culture issue than anything else at this point. It's mind boggling how good they should be, compared to what they currently are.

Regarding the polls, let's see what the (New) Big 12 looks like once the new teams get in. The balance will be solid. It kind of reminds me of the Big East where the champion would sometimes be sitting there at 8-4. We need to see which teams separate themselves each season. For example. In the SEC we have 6-6 teams dominate other conferences champions or top 2-3 teams most seasons. Same with the B1G. There will be seasons that the Big 12's 4th-5th place team would have won every G conference. You'll pay for it in the rankings most seasons though.

IMHO, I think UT has a bunch of prima donnas playing for them that perhaps don't believe in real conditioning. They fade bigly towards the ends of games. Maybe the coaches are forbidden to hurt the players feelings and therefore can't crack the whip on 'em?
11-01-2021 07:15 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
UT is definitely a big time program but they’re gonna go bananas when they realize they no longer call all the shots after they join the SEC.

I’d give it 3-4 years before drama rumblings come out from Alabama about not getting along with their new gorilla mate.
11-01-2021 09:31 PM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
I don't 100% understand what the SEC is doing. NCAA Football is like boxing. You need a bunch of wins, and almost no losses before people really care. Not sure why they want all of the heavy weights in one conference, unless they are going to break away and create a semi-pro league. Does anyone really want that though?
11-02-2021 07:31 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(11-02-2021 07:31 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I don't 100% understand what the SEC is doing. NCAA Football is like boxing. You need a bunch of wins, and almost no losses before people really care. Not sure why they want all of the heavy weights in one conference, unless they are going to break away and create a semi-pro league. Does anyone really want that though?

Exactly, most of the SEC and OU/Texas just made their path to a national title harder by adding more meat to the conference. OU, if they had been in the SEC since the start of the CFP, wouldn't have as many CFP appearances as they have today.

But like you said, if the vision is to break away into some sort of new governing structure for the playoff/national title then it may make sense. And of course it makes sense to the pocket books of most or all of the schools.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2021 08:09 AM by tcufrog86.)
11-02-2021 08:09 AM
Advertisement

Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I keep seeing the money thing as a reason. I know it's huge, but what happens if you are the next Nebraska? The risk is too large, IMO.
11-02-2021 08:26 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-02-2021 08:09 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  
(11-02-2021 07:31 AM)Z-Fly Wrote:  I don't 100% understand what the SEC is doing. NCAA Football is like boxing. You need a bunch of wins, and almost no losses before people really care. Not sure why they want all of the heavy weights in one conference, unless they are going to break away and create a semi-pro league. Does anyone really want that though?

Exactly, most of the SEC and OU/Texas just made their path to a national title harder by adding more meat to the conference. OU, if they had been in the SEC since the start of the CFP, wouldn't have as many CFP appearances as they have today.

But like you said, if the vision is to break away into some sort of new governing structure for the playoff/national title then it may make sense. And of course it makes sense to the pocket books of most or all of the schools.

All one has to do is look at the Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville message boards. If you read it long enough, you will find they like the money of the ACC, but all things being equal they would prefer to be in the old Big East. Syracuse and Pitt in particular were the political beasts of the Big East, in the ACC the Tobacco Road schools call all the shots.

I realize Texas is a behemoth, but they are going to walk into conference and discover Alabama has as big of a hat as they do, and they will have the support of the schools they have been associated with for many decades.
11-02-2021 08:50 AM
7thyear Offline
Water Engineer

It's starting to look more like a culture issue than anything else at this point.
[/quote]

We been known this

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
11-02-2021 09:49 AM
AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Auburn/SEC

It has to do with a lot. SEC was great as it was. Adding Texas and OU brings more content. Another huge rivalry. Even better recruiting. More content for the TV Networks. When the playoffs move to 12 which it will eventually do. The SEC will be in a position to have 4 teams in most seasons so it doesn't really impact us as negatively as some may think. It's also preparing for the future. No one knows what everything is going to look like, but it is as much about survival for us as it is for anyone else.

In the past the SEC, SWC, Big 8, etc... Were constantly screwed over by the Pac and the Big 10. Constantly. We stopped being their whipping boys and starting being proactive years ago and that's why the landscape and the SEC's respect/prestige has changed.

Money will obviously improve. People keep throwing out $60-$65 million but that's not true. It will be $72-$75 million per team. There are a ton of reasons, money is one, but it's only one of several.
11-02-2021 10:30 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

(11-02-2021 10:30 AM)AubTiger16 Wrote:  

It has to do with a lot. SEC was great as it was. Adding Texas and OU brings more content. Another huge rivalry. Even better recruiting. More content for the TV Networks. When the playoffs move to 12 which it will eventually do. The SEC will be in a position to have 4 teams in most seasons so it doesn't really impact us as negatively as some may think. It's also preparing for the future. No one knows what everything is going to look like, but it is as much about survival for us as it is for anyone else.

In the past the SEC, SWC, Big 8, etc... Were constantly screwed over by the Pac and the Big 10. Constantly. We stopped being their whipping boys and starting being proactive years ago and that's why the landscape and the SEC's respect/prestige has changed.

Money will obviously improve. People keep throwing out $60-$65 million but that's not true. It will be $72-$75 million per team. There are a ton of reasons, money is one, but it's only one of several.

Ok, so Oklahoma turns into Tennessee. Not sure that is worth $30 Million a year. Maybe it is though.
11-03-2021 07:36 PM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(11-03-2021 07:36 PM)Z-Fly Wrote:  
(11-02-2021 10:30 AM)AubTiger16 Wrote:  

Ok, so Oklahoma turns into Tennessee. Not sure that is worth $30 Million a year. Maybe it is though.

Oklahoma still as a chance of winning the west division if Alabama and Auburn are pushed to the east division. Then all they have to do is get by Alabama or Georgia in the SEC title game to get to the playoff under the current system. 07-coffee3
11-04-2021 10:01 AM
Johnny Incognito Online
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
I figure with Alabama moved to the eastern division that Oklahoma will be the team to beat in the western division. Texas gonna be hangin out a lot with Miss St in the cellar.
11-04-2021 11:23 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Hopefully the new schools all win today, and keep the rankings up. UCF while not ranked, can get bowl eligible today.
11-06-2021 08:33 AM
litig8r Offline
2nd String

The way the rankings stand right now it definitely looks like the Big 12 made the right move by adding the new schools. It will be a good football conference and an even better basketball conference. \|n/
11-06-2021 10:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.