MWC In talks with two universities
10-15-2021 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: MWC In talks with two universities
No schools named but have to think it is a mixture of SMU, Tulsa, UTSA, and UNT.
10-15-2021 01:01 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Y’all remember when the AAC was going to add Big XII schools, and then lost 3 schools to the Big XII. Then the AAC was going to take teams from the MW, and now........... 03-lmfao

If the AAC losses more teams, who will they be attractive to??? We may all get our chance at the AAC.
10-15-2021 01:06 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(10-15-2021 01:01 PM)slycat Wrote:  No schools named but have to think it is a mixture of SMU, Tulsa, UTSA, and UNT.

I doubt SMU is ready to pull the plug until the Big 12 makes its next move. Tulsa probably waits to collect exit fees as well. Paying an entrance fee to join the MWC right now is fairly lateral.

Any of the C-USA Texas programs (UTEP, UTSA, UNT, Rice) would leap at the opportunity. Probably LaTech as well.

Any SBC West programs putting out feelers? Texas State, UL, or stAte?

EDIT: Could also be an Olympic sports add to pair with Hawaii. Maybe lure Wichita State or Gonzaga?
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 01:08 PM by freshtop.)
10-15-2021 01:07 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-15-2021 01:07 PM)freshtop Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 01:01 PM)slycat Wrote:  No schools named but have to think it is a mixture of SMU, Tulsa, UTSA, and UNT.

I doubt SMU is ready to pull the plug until the Big 12 makes its next move. Tulsa probably waits to collect exit fees as well. Paying an entrance fee to join the MWC right now is fairly lateral.

Any of the C-USA Texas programs (UTEP, UTSA, UNT, Rice) would leap at the opportunity. Probably LaTech as well.

EDIT: Could also be an Olympic sports add to pair with Hawaii. Maybe lure Wichita State or Gonzaga?

Putting’ out feelers, IDK . . . last time we reached out to the MW, we got our hands slapped pretty hard . . . like with a ruler, like by a Nun . .. one that got a running start, and a roundhouse windup . . . KA-POW. . .shite hurt.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 01:15 PM by Bobcat87.)
10-15-2021 01:14 PM
Herd6993 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
I bet the plan is this:

1. Go after SMU and Tulsa
2. If one or both say no, then go after UTSA and North Texas.
3. Once that is established, then go after Gonzaga and Wichita St.
10-15-2021 01:16 PM
Advertisement

HighlandsApp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: AppState
I don't think anyone in AAC is going to MW. The exit fee is WAY to high and they stand to gain several million from exit fees of the three leaving. MW would like a few games each season in better time zones and Texas is the place to be for that.

I would think that UTEP would really really want to join. Obviously, NMS would like that too. UTEP knows that they are going to loose a couple of their closer conference mates to the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 01:40 PM by HighlandsApp.)
10-15-2021 01:20 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
If you are a Sun-Belt fan wanting to see C-USA ripped to shreds this is terrific news. If you are a C-USA you could be looking at a reality of C-USA having UTEP as the only Texas school in the AAC.
10-15-2021 01:51 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
MWC already said they won't add UTEP but they have interest in getting back into Texas.

It is logical that SMU won't move while they wait on the Big XII and avoid fees.

That leaves, in likely order:

UNT (gets them "in" DFW market)
UTSA (strong ties for the air bases that AF will like)
Rice ("in" Houston market)
TXST (hard to see if UTSA is one since we are in the same area)

I wonder is UTSA is more open to AAC or MW. If they go AAC then it opens the door for TXST to MWC. I doubt they want our team but being in Texas could be seen over just how bad we are.
10-15-2021 01:52 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I can reveal. It’s AState and TXST going to MWC
10-15-2021 01:58 PM
lelandhardy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Southern
If I were the MWC, the two schools I look at are NDSU and SDSU if none of the AAC will come over. The other Texas schools are pretty bad at football and don’t control their markets at all. UTSA would be the only one worth something just because their football is on the rise. NDSU and SDSU are great football brands and control their markets, which happen to be whole states.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021 02:00 PM by lelandhardy.)
10-15-2021 02:00 PM
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-15-2021 01:20 PM)HighlandsApp Wrote:  I don't think anyone in AAC is going to MW. The exit fee is WAY to high and they stand to gain several million from exit fees of the three leaving. MW would like a few games each season in better time zones and Texas is the place to be for that.

I would think that UTEP would really really want to join. Obviously, NMS would like that too. UTEP knows that they are going to loose a couple of their closer conference mates to the AAC.

UTEP would leap at the chance, and they make perfect sense in the MW. But for whatever reason(s), the MW has always been very cool to the idea of bringing them on board. Have heard that they want to be back in TX, but are probably looking at programs other than UTEP.
10-15-2021 02:00 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(10-15-2021 02:00 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 01:20 PM)HighlandsApp Wrote:  I don't think anyone in AAC is going to MW. The exit fee is WAY to high and they stand to gain several million from exit fees of the three leaving. MW would like a few games each season in better time zones and Texas is the place to be for that.

UTEP would leap at the chance, and they make perfect sense in the MW. But for whatever reason(s), the MW has always been very cool to the idea of bringing them on board. Have heard that they want to be back in TX, but are probably looking at programs other than UTEP.

I think they want in Texas for the "marketz" for media rights and recruiting grounds. I'd guess they go for UTSA, Rice, or UNT. I wish they would take UTEP because I think they would be a great fit and it would be a shot in the arm for their athletic programs. They have good facilities and fan support.
10-15-2021 02:13 PM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
I would imagine SMU and Tulsa could just "pay" their exit fee by forfeiting the exit fees they are set to collect from Cincy, UCF, and Houston?
10-15-2021 02:19 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(10-15-2021 02:19 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  I would imagine SMU and Tulsa could just "pay" their exit fee by forfeiting the exit fees they are set to collect from Cincy, UCF, and Houston?

I'd say SMU has dreams of the B12.
10-15-2021 02:30 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(10-15-2021 02:00 PM)lelandhardy Wrote:  If I were the MWC, the two schools I look at are NDSU and SDSU if none of the AAC will come over. The other Texas schools are pretty bad at football and don’t control their markets at all. UTSA would be the only one worth something just because their football is on the rise. NDSU and SDSU are great football brands and control their markets, which happen to be whole states.

NDSU to Wyoming is 835 miles
SDSU to Wyoming is 675 miles

UNT to New Mexico is 610 miles
UTSA to New Mexico is 720 miles

Both Texas schools are multiple orders of magnitude easier to fly Olympic sports to.

Combined the two states have less that 1.7 million. Not much growth potential for the Dakota schools.
10-15-2021 02:31 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(10-15-2021 02:19 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  I would imagine SMU and Tulsa could just "pay" their exit fee by forfeiting the exit fees they are set to collect from Cincy, UCF, and Houston?

That's not how it works, especially since those exit fees have not been paid nor even actually decided what the total will be yet. They are not paid to the individual schools they are paid to the league who then distributes them to the schools.
10-15-2021 02:33 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(10-15-2021 02:33 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

That's not how it works, especially since those exit fees have not been paid nor even actually decided what the total will be yet. They are not paid to the individual schools they are paid to the league who then distributes them to the schools.

SO what does an AAC East school think about this MWC news? Do you think they are targeting the CUSA West schools that the AAC was talking with?
10-15-2021 02:35 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(10-15-2021 02:35 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 02:33 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

SO what does an AAC East school think about this MWC news? Do you think they are targeting the CUSA West schools that the AAC was talking with?

I don't have the slightest clue who the AAC is actually targeting outside of UAB. As for the MWC news I think it was obvious they had to start seriously looking into Texas schools when both the AFA and CSU AD's made very public statements about the MWC status quo not being acceptable and CSU AD specifically name checking getting into Texas. I suspect UNT ends up in the MWC as I just can't see SMU wanting them in the AAC. UTEP will not get a MWC invite. I'm just going to guess UTSA and Rice would prefer an AAC invite, but I'll speculate only 1 of them gets the AAC invite and the other goes to the MWC. Honestly not sure which one that will be.
10-15-2021 02:42 PM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
(10-15-2021 01:14 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 01:07 PM)freshtop Wrote:  

Putting’ out feelers, IDK . . . last time we reached out to the MW, we got our hands slapped pretty hard . . . like with a ruler, like by a Nun . .. one that got a running start, and a roundhouse windup . . . KA-POW. . .shite hurt.

I had a public school kindergarten teacher that would do that every time I picked anything up with my left hand. It worked I’m no longer left handed. I’m uncoordinated as hell but I’m right handed just the way god wanted it.
10-15-2021 02:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.