Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FCS
The WEST is the BEST Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
FCS
Not necessarily a realignment question:

With the exposure the FCS received from the springtime broadcast of their games, would a move to a spring schedule be more beneficial to the league? I can't believe the number of people talking about the programs and their strengths this past spring. It's as if the fans didn't know FCS existed. And not going uo against the "Big Boys" on TV was an advantage on Saturdays.

Recruiting for both the FBS and FCS may actually benefit from such a split. As well as transfers.
09-17-2021 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: FCS
Absolutely not! Football is meant to be played in the fall. Period. End of story. And how can the FCS play their buy games against P4 schools if the FCS is playing the spring.
09-17-2021 04:51 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Good topic. I don't know, but it's definitely worth discussing. FCS is completely buried in the fall by FBS and NFL. Running in the Spring it would only be competing with College Baseball --many of us who never watched FCS watched it in the Spring-- so there is an opportunity.

This would be fighting tradition such as home comings and and would make it impossible to get revenue games. No HBCU schools being paid big money to bring their bands ... and the football team too ..., and no NFL prospects (it's not like there are more than 50 serious candidates at any given time playing in FCS at any given moment who will turn pro in the next two years, but still) would play in FCS; that'd force NDSU to FBS. And then the schedules would be all messed up.

On balance I think the answer is no, as spring football for FCS puts TV ahead of everything else. 2020-21 was a one off.
09-17-2021 05:08 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(09-17-2021 04:51 PM)goofus Wrote:  Absolutely not! Football is meant to be played in the fall. Period. End of story. And how can the FCS play their buy games against P4 schools if the FCS is playing the spring.

Buy games may be going away.
09-17-2021 05:16 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(09-17-2021 05:16 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 04:51 PM)goofus Wrote:  Absolutely not! Football is meant to be played in the fall. Period. End of story. And how can the FCS play their buy games against P4 schools if the FCS is playing the spring.

Says who? As long as many of the top schools "have" to play seven home games a year, who are going to play the road games?
09-17-2021 06:46 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(09-17-2021 04:27 PM)The WEST is the BEST Wrote:  Not necessarily a realignment question:

With the exposure the FCS received from the springtime broadcast of their games, would a move to a spring schedule be more beneficial to the league?
I can't believe the number of people talking about the programs and their strengths this past spring. It's as if the fans didn't know FCS existed. And not going uo against the "Big Boys" on TV was an advantage on Saturdays.

Recruiting for both the FBS and FCS may actually benefit from such a split. As well as transfers.
Bolded 1: No. Not only do you have to deal with what TV slots are available after NCAA basketball slots are given, a spring season is impacted by the spending over Christmas from the fans as how much longer would they purchase season tickets and the local spring breaks will have little gates.

Bolded 2: Not sure how a HS senior benefits from two separate seasons and a transfer does if he'd play another season weeks after finishing a FBS one.
09-17-2021 06:59 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(09-17-2021 06:46 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 05:16 PM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

Says who? As long as many of the top schools "have" to play seven home games a year, who are going to play the road games?

You want me to list every source that's talked about this the past year?
Here's one that puts forth the argument due to CFP: https://sportsenthusiasts.net/2021/06/28...-obsolete/

And Saban mentions playing more conference games here, which means potentially fewer FCS games: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...nto-focus/
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2021 07:07 PM by Scoochpooch1.)
09-17-2021 07:07 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

You could experiment with a split schedule where you play your OOC in the fall and your in-conference in the spring. I've heard that soccer might go in that direction. And some sports do year-round schedules already (tennis has individual tournaments in the fall and team play in the spring, I think?). But none of those sports are football, so that presents tons of unique challenges.

Probably too counterintuitive to work. I mean, was anyone here more likely to watch FCS football this past spring than they have in other falls?
09-17-2021 07:09 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
My understanding was the viewership was generally disappointing.
09-17-2021 07:29 PM
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
(09-17-2021 07:29 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  My understanding was the viewership was generally disappointing.

As much as people love football I believe springs leagues are just subject to people being football fatigued and needing the break.
09-17-2021 09:28 PM
Advertisement

OscarWildeCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: ACU & UGA
This topic has been discussed at length on FCS forums. Bottom line, there’s not much interest in Spring ball.
09-18-2021 04:06 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
No, spring ball sucked.
09-18-2021 08:00 AM
Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
(09-17-2021 07:29 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  My understanding was the viewership was generally disappointing.

It was quite bad, I think the quarterfinal game between NDSU and Sam Houston lost to run-of-the-mill horse racing in TV ratings. ESPN only picked up a handful of regular season games, only one of which involved a playoff caliber team (Delaware, at Delaware State), so it wasn't like there was a lot of exposure gained by showcasing perennial contenders like NDSU and JMU all spring.

But the big thing is operating off-cycle from the rest of college football and the negative impact it would have on staffing and recruiting. Northern Iowa lost its OC to an NFL gig like a week and a half before the first game. Eastern Washington lost multiple coaches DURING the season.. Montana State didn't play, but their HC got hired away by Sark when he was staffing up at Texas. It would be an abject disaster to make stuff like that a regular part of FCS. That's before we ever get to the strain that puts on event staff, SIDs, and any facility overlap football might have with spring sports at some schools. It's just not a good idea.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2021 12:51 PM by Mister Consistency.)
09-18-2021 10:07 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(09-17-2021 04:51 PM)goofus Wrote:  Absolutely not! Football is meant to be played in the fall.

Sometimes, spring football can be great.

09-18-2021 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.