Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Atlantic Conference Proposal
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
New Atlantic Conference Proposal
I've said many times the AAC sucks for Temple geographically and once Cincinnati, Central Florida, and Houston leave the conference won't make much sense in terms of being a "top" conference either. There is also a thread that Old Dominion doesn't like Conference USA as well for the same reason. Both conferences have headquarters in the Dallas Metroplex and have clearly made their bed in the South/Southwest. If you're Temple or Old Dominion or any school on the East Coast, you don't want to be in either conference right now. Why is UMass not in a conference? What conference fits them that wants them? Temple joined the old "Big East" when the Catholic 7 and UConn were still in the conference. Now not only are they gone but Cincinnati is as well. I'm not even sure East Carolina would join a conference of Memphis, South Carolina, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, and Wichita State right now. Old Dominion joined C-USA just to play FBS football, they would've joined the Pac-12 or MWC if they would have had them.

Which conference is right for Temple? The real answers would be the ACC, Big 10, or Big East. None of those conferences are calling. What teams do Temple want to be in a conference in? There's a survey in CSNBBS. All the teams I want Temple to play and visit Philly are in the ACC, Big 10, and Big East (Penn State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Connecticut, Villanova).

If there was another "Atlantic" conference, it would be...

Massachusetts, Temple, Old Dominion, East Carolina, Charlotte, Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, South Florida, Florida International, Florida Atlantic

I'd be willing to take Buffalo and Marshall as full members and UConn, Army, and Navy as football only members (well as full members but I'm realistic).

Is this conference or the MAC better for Temple? I do have family in the Chicago area and Northern Illinois's close and I would like to see Temple play the Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan schools plus Buffalo. But playing the Florida and other Atlantic Coast schools would be cool too. Anything's better than playing schools west of the Mississippi. You can argue the AAC when they had NY6 teams and multiple NCAAT teams (including a Final Four in 2021). Only one AAC team that played in a NY6 bowl isn't on their way to the Big 12. If the Atlantic schools did form a new conference, they wouldn't have an automatic bid for a while although there isn't a school on this list that is a perennial men's basketball NCAAT contender and a team that wins the conference should merit NCAAT at large consideration anyway. Maybe if the AAC takes all western teams, Temple, East Carolina, South Carolina, and Old Dominion could just bolt for the Sun Belt or Conference USA (whatever conference is more in danger). We all are used to think the AAC is the best of the G5. Is it anymore?
09-17-2021 05:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigEastMike Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big East
RE: New Atlantic Conference Proposal
I'd love for their to be another eastern conference. I'd also look to call up Delaware and JMU.

Temple, UMass, Buffalo, Delaware, JMU, ODU, Marshall, ECU, APP St, Charolette, Coastal & USF.

If you don't want to go with call ups add in Georgia St/Southern and FAU/FIU
09-17-2021 05:54 AM
jaybird44 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion,va
Marshall JMU ODU App St Charlotte Coastal Carolina
Georgia St Georgia Southern Liberty

If AAC would cooperate add Temple East Carolina Navy South Florida and UAB,but we know that ain't happening

AAC is short sighted and treats other schools just like they complain P5 schools treat them. They are naive about being a power conference and delusional. Just look how quick their schools deserted them and the rest will too.
09-17-2021 06:10 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
That would be a nice football conference for East Coast universities. The key is to get buy-in from Temple, USF and ECU. Those three have to form the core of the conference. The roadmap is really a mixture of OBE football and the current ACC. Each of the schools represents an important cultural faction that the conference tries to build upon.

There is a northern wing…Temple, UMass and Buffalo

There are a slew of Tidewater schools to consider…ECU, Delaware, Marshall, JMU, Liberty, ODU, App State, Charlotte and Coastal Carolina

There is the Florida base…USF, FAU and FIU

It would be preferable than being appendages to the far away (Dallas-based) AAC.
09-17-2021 06:26 AM
Advertisement

LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I’m a Penn alumnus, my sister-in-law is an administrator at Brown and Temple already plays Penn in various sports. Therefore, Temple should join the Ivy League because it’s a great geographic fit and I have relatives in multiple Ivy cities. If Temple can’t join the Ivy it should definitely join the Patriot because Bucknell and Lafayette are among Temple’s most frequently played opponents. If Temple can’t join the Patriot it should drop American football and join the Premier League or Bundesliga.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2021 06:41 AM by LostInSpace.)
09-17-2021 06:40 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
With some movement, a new Eastern conference and a new Southern conference can be forged without having to create new conferences and maintaining all 10 current FBS conferences.

Assumptions:
XII adds Memphis, South Florida
MWC adds Rice, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Wichita St (non-football)
Navy (football) > Independence

East Carolina and Temple retain AAC brand and add:
From CUSA - Charlotte, Florida International, Marshall, Old Dominion
From Sun Belt - Appalachian St, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Troy
From FCS - Delaware, James Madison

CUSA adds:
From Sun Belt - Arkansas St, Georgia St

Sun Belt adds:
From FBS Independence - Liberty (ASUN), New Mexico St (WAC)
From FCS - Abilene Christian, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville St, Lamar, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, Stephen F. Austin St

Alignment:

XII
East: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, TCU, West Virginia
West: Baylor, BYU, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech

MWC
East: Air Force, Colorado St, New Mexico, Rice, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Wyoming
West: Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii*, Nevada, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV, Utah St
* Football-only
^ Non-football: Wichita St

AAC
North: Delaware, East Carolina, James Madison, Marshall, Old Dominion, Temple
South: Appalachian St, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Florida International, Georgia Southern, Troy

CUSA
East: Florida Atlantic, Georgia St, Middle Tennessee St, Southern Miss, UAB, Western Kentucky
West: Arkansas St, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, UL Lafayette, UTEP, UTSA

SBC
East: Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville St, Liberty, McNeese St, South Alabama, UL Monroe
West: Abilene Christian, Lamar, New Mexico St, San Houston St, Stephen F. Austin St, Texas St
^ Non-football: Arkansas - Little Rock, Texas- Arlington

IND: Army, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Navy, Notre Dame
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2021 07:33 AM by BePcr07.)
09-17-2021 07:32 AM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-17-2021 07:32 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  With some movement, a new Eastern conference and a new Southern conference can be forged without having to create new conferences and maintaining all 10 current FBS conferences.

Assumptions:

CUSA adds:

Sun Belt adds:
From FCS - Abilene Christian, Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville St, Lamar, McNeese St, Sam Houston St, Stephen F. Austin St

Alignment:

XII
East: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, TCU, West Virginia

MWC
West: Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii*, Nevada, San Diego St, San Jose St, UNLV, Utah St
* Football-only

AAC
South: Appalachian St, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Florida International, Georgia Southern, Troy

CUSA
East: Florida Atlantic, Georgia St, Middle Tennessee St, Southern Miss, UAB, Western Kentucky

SBC
East: Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville St, Liberty, McNeese St, South Alabama, UL Monroe
West: Abilene Christian, Lamar, New Mexico St, San Houston St, Stephen F. Austin St, Texas St

Boise needs to join the Big Sky. Compact geography and great built in rivalry with Weber State.
09-17-2021 07:40 AM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(09-17-2021 07:32 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  With some movement, a new Eastern conference and a new Southern conference can be forged without having to create new conferences and maintaining all 10 current FBS conferences.

Assumptions:

CUSA adds:

Sun Belt adds:

Alignment:

XII

MWC
* Football-only

AAC

CUSA

SBC

I have no use for Troy, I'd rather Georgia State (Atlanta) and/or Florida Atlantic. Who cares about Alabama and if you want 'Bama go for UAB?
09-17-2021 08:19 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
If they could negotiate as a bloc to be treated by the CFP as if they were a conference for revenue distribution purposes, I would prefer to see Temple, East Carolina and Old Dominion join Navy, Army UConn, UMass and Liberty as eastern football independents with a scheduling alliance. I believe those three could find suitable homes for their Olympic sports, and the other five already have.
09-17-2021 10:06 AM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(09-17-2021 10:06 AM)ken d Wrote:  If they could negotiate as a bloc to be treated by the CFP as if they were a conference for revenue distribution purposes, I would prefer to see Temple, East Carolina and Old Dominion join Navy, Army UConn, UMass and Liberty as eastern football independents with a scheduling alliance. I believe those three could find suitable homes for their Olympic sports, and the other five already have.

Agree with this and Wahoowa84 above. If this starts with the AAC schools, we may get to some sensible geographies for the AAC, C-USA and Sunbelt without the messiness of the current process with exit and entrance fees.

Another core of G5 schools resides in the Southwest within Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas who could build a nice conference.
09-17-2021 10:21 AM
Advertisement

CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
(09-17-2021 10:06 AM)ken d Wrote:  If they could negotiate as a bloc to be treated by the CFP as if they were a conference for revenue distribution purposes, I would prefer to see Temple, East Carolina and Old Dominion join Navy, Army UConn, UMass and Liberty as eastern football independents with a scheduling alliance. I believe those three could find suitable homes for their Olympic sports, and the other five already have.

Could the Eastern Independent Conference have a three-game schedule and a championship game? The North Division consists of UMass, UConn, Army, and Temple. The South Division is Navy, Liberty, Old Dominion, and East Carolina. The Army-Navy game and any other teams that want to play each other cross-division would be considered non-conference games.
09-17-2021 01:51 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2021 01:51 PM)CenterSquarEd Wrote:  

Could the Eastern Independent Conference have a three-game schedule and a championship game? The North Division consists of UMass, UConn, Army, and Temple. The South Division is Navy, Liberty, Old Dominion, and East Carolina. The Army-Navy game and any other teams that want to play each other cross-division would be considered non-conference games.

First, they can not be a conference according to NCAA rules. But that would sort of defeat the purpose. They should play a full seven game round robin. No championship game. And they have five additional games to play anyone else they want.

Navy would want/need to play Notre Dame and Air Force, and they might like to play SMU and Houston or Rice. East Carolina has a host of local teams they would want to play - UNC, NC State, App State, etc. This gives them the flexibility to do those things while developing rivalries within their alliance.
09-17-2021 02:14 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(09-17-2021 02:14 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 01:51 PM)CenterSquarEd Wrote:  

First, they can not be a conference according to NCAA rules. But that would sort of defeat the purpose. They should play a full seven game round robin. No championship game. And they have five additional games to play anyone else they want.

Navy would want/need to play Notre Dame and Air Force, and they might like to play SMU and Houston or Rice. East Carolina has a host of local teams they would want to play - UNC, NC State, App State, etc. This gives them the flexibility to do those things while developing rivalries within their alliance.

I mean, there's nothing anyone can really do about it if you just up and decide to have a trophy game. Bob Diaco proved that.
09-17-2021 02:21 PM
Advertisement

CenterSquarEd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Siena
(09-17-2021 02:14 PM)ken d Wrote:  First, they can not be a conference according to NCAA rules.

Is that because you can’t have a football-only FBS conference?

Quote:But that would sort of defeat the purpose. They should play a full seven game round robin. No championship game. And they have five additional games to play anyone else they want.

I think you’ve outlined why this is unlikely to be an attractive conference to pretty much everyone. That’s why I was speculating about whether you could have a “conference” with fewer commitments.

In theory, a 12-team conference only needs to have 5 conference games to benefit from a bonus conference championship game, right? Cross-division play isn’t really required.
09-17-2021 02:23 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2021 02:23 PM)CenterSquarEd Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 02:14 PM)ken d Wrote:  First, they can not be a conference according to NCAA rules.

Is that because you can’t have a football-only FBS conference?

Clearly, you can have a football only conference in FCS (the MVFC, for example). My understanding for FBS is that any conference must have at least 8 all sports members. My suggestion was that they not try to find a way around that, and just all be officially independents, which we know they can do. But right now, CFP access and revenue sharing formulas are strong incentives against independence. That would have to change.
09-17-2021 02:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.