UT Arlington performing conference feasibility study
09-03-2021 05:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
RE: UT Arlington performing conference feasibility study
Wasn't there noise about them and (weirdly) the MVC a few months ago?
09-03-2021 05:49 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
There was indeed. Not sure what made that weird. It definitely would be a better fit than the Belt.
09-03-2021 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Sounds like the WAC is going to be a big influence with the Texas schools added.
Not having football in a FCS conference isn’t as bad as being in a FBS conference with the greater money discrepancy.
09-03-2021 06:12 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-03-2021 05:34 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Good news for UTA:

This spring they qualfied for the Texas National Research University Fund, joining Texas Tech, Houston and UT Dallas.

https://reportcenter.highered.texas.gov/...lity-2021/

"This report provides an update to the Comptroller and the Texas Legislature on the
progress institutions are making on all eligibility criteria. The report also identifies institutions
that meet or will meet the minimum requirements to become eligible to receive distributions
from the NRUF. The information is summarized below:
• Eight universities are designated as emerging research universities in the THECB’s
Accountability System: Texas State University, Texas Tech University, The University of
Texas at Arlington, The University of Texas at Dallas, The University of Texas at El Paso,
The University of Texas at San Antonio, University of Houston, and University of North
Texas.
• Texas Tech University and University of Houston data are not included in the report, as
both institutions met eligibility in Fiscal Year (FY) 2012 and began receiving distributions
from the NRUF. Each institution received $16.3 million for the 2012-13 biennium, $17.9
million for the 2014-15 biennium, and $16.9 million for the 2016-17 biennium. The
University of Texas at Dallas data are not included in the report, as the institution met
eligibility in FY 2018 and also began receiving distributions from the NRUF. Each of the
three institutions received $15.4 million for the 2018-19 biennium and $8.2 million in FY

The University of Texas at Arlington reported restricted research expenditures above the
threshold of $45 million in FY 2019 and 2020. In addition, for both fiscal years, the
institution fulfilled the following four of six optional criteria required for NRUF eligibility:

o Criterion 2: Doctor of Philosophy Degrees Awarded
o Criterion 3: Freshman Class of High Academic Achievement
o Criterion 4: Institutional Recognition of Research Capabilities and Scholarly
Attainment
o Criterion 5: High-Quality Faculty.
The University of Texas at Arlington fulfilled a sufficient number of required criteria for
two consecutive years and is eligible for fund distribution in FY 2021, pending a required
audit by the State Auditor’s Office in FY 2021...."
09-03-2021 06:17 PM
PicksUp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP, Texas
(09-03-2021 05:52 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  There was indeed. Not sure what made that weird. It definitely would be a better fit than the Belt.

Its weird because its not a good add for the MVC.
09-03-2021 06:24 PM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(09-03-2021 06:24 PM)PicksUp Wrote:  
(09-03-2021 05:52 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  There was indeed. Not sure what made that weird. It definitely would be a better fit than the Belt.

It is only for one sport, but doesn’t Dallas Baptist play baseball in the MVC?
09-03-2021 06:43 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(09-03-2021 06:43 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(09-03-2021 06:24 PM)PicksUp Wrote:  

It is only for one sport, but doesn’t Dallas Baptist play baseball in the MVC?

They do

I wonder if the success they have had with DBU has led them to want a greater Texas presence
09-03-2021 06:45 PM
HawaiiMongoose Online
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(09-03-2021 06:12 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Sounds like the WAC is going to be a big influence with the Texas schools added.
Not having football in a FCS conference isn’t as bad as being in a FBS conference with the greater money discrepancy.

Can’t see the WAC being interested unless UTA commits to restarting football.
09-03-2021 06:54 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(09-03-2021 06:54 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  
(09-03-2021 06:12 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Sounds like the WAC is going to be a big influence with the Texas schools added.

So leave a conference with FBS football and an auto-invite for a conference just starting football and some HOPING to be able to go FBS in the future?
09-03-2021 07:03 PM
shizzle787 Online
1st String

I Root For: UConn
This tells me they are afraid the Sun Belt could be seriously raided.
09-03-2021 07:08 PM
Advertisement

Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(09-03-2021 05:34 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

So it's a study on what is the likely limit of student fee increases which the student body would pass via referendum. Got it.
09-03-2021 07:54 PM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
I think this benefits the Sun Belt potentially. I'd prefer they go back to 12 all sports members. Even go with 2 FCS teams could help more than non football schools can.
09-03-2021 08:53 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(09-03-2021 06:54 PM)HawaiiMongoose Wrote:  

Not sure why that would matter the WAC has quite a few non football schools. UTRGV may solve the additional football school needed and UTA would fill the other Texas spot the WAC is looking at to split into divisions.
Besides, we the FBS realignment that will follow, NMSU could be moving on shortly.
09-03-2021 09:44 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
UTA's got two open football stadiums within a mile of the campus, three if you count the big one (but don't...)
09-03-2021 10:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-03-2021 07:54 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  So it's a study on what is the likely limit of student fee increases which the student body would pass via referendum. Got it.

Right. The study will lay out the cost of starting an FCS football team and how much they would have to tax the student body to pay for it. And the study will recommend the option that the school administrators prefer.

If the school administration wants to make the case for football, then the study will say that if they start football their conference options are awesome, future donations will skyrocket, and no one will mind a student fee increase that will take effect after the current students have graduated.

If the school administration doesn't want football, then the study will say their conference options are at least as good without football and that the required fee increase for football would be so large that students would revolt.

07-coffee3
09-03-2021 10:10 PM
Advertisement

deb025 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(09-03-2021 05:49 PM)Bogg Wrote:  Wasn't there noise about them and (weirdly) the MVC a few months ago?

Not really weird when you think about it. UTA probably has the best basketball facility in the Sunbelt conference. UTA has had some recent success in basketball and might be trying to establish their identity as a basketball school. The Sunbelt is a horrible basketball conference and the Missouri Valley Conference is a historically strong basketball conference.
09-03-2021 10:20 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
An older story, but some background on this. Les Miles mentioned (doesn't sound like FCS).

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/one-got-away-gerry-mecca
09-03-2021 10:35 PM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(09-03-2021 10:10 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(09-03-2021 07:54 PM)Renandpat Wrote:  So it's a study on what is the likely limit of student fee increases which the student body would pass via referendum. Got it.

Right. The study will lay out the cost of starting an FCS football team and how much they would have to tax the student body to pay for it. And the study will recommend the option that the school administrators prefer.

If the school administration wants to make the case for football, then the study will say that if they start football their conference options are awesome, future donations will skyrocket, and no one will mind a student fee increase that will take effect after the current students have graduated.

If the school administration doesn't want football, then the study will say their conference options are at least as good without football and that the required fee increase for football would be so large that students would revolt.

07-coffee3

There was a certain sarcasm in my words as I have worked on two campus referendums for recreation facilities.
09-03-2021 11:05 PM
mvcfan76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MVC
with instability on the horizon with the AAC, the MVC is going to hold out for a wichita reunion. Though highly unlikely, we can afford to wait, our 2nd best team, who was far worse than our best team, just got an at large bid this year, no need to rush and add UTA in these realignment prone times. No inside sources, but i can promise this.
09-03-2021 11:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.