Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

12 Days!!!!
Bookmark and Share
BDB5yp Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Wink 12 Days!!!!
I miss Huskie football and I’m so excited to watch these young guys play. I think we’re going to give Georgia Yech a run for their money. RED, BLACK!!!!
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2021 04:24 PM by BDB5yp.)
08-23-2021 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: 12 Days!!!!
I think there are three keys and unknowns that will determine our success or lack thereof this season, my 50th season of following the program.

1) Oline play
2) QB play - Lombardi has had accuracy problems in the past; will that continue to plague him this season?
3) Defensive secondary ... they need to show a ton of improvement from last year

Adding that I have more faith in coach Hammock than I do in our offensive and defensive coordinators. Hopefully I am underestimating them.
08-23-2021 05:05 PM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(08-23-2021 05:05 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  I think there are three keys and unknowns that will determine our success or lack thereof this season, my 50th season of following the program.

1) Oline play
2) QB play - Lombardi has had accuracy problems in the past; will that continue to plague him this season?
3) Defensive secondary ... they need to show a ton of improvement from last year

Adding that I have more faith in coach Hammock than I do in our offensive and defensive coordinators. Hopefully I am underestimating them.

I think these are all very good, I would put QB play at #1, I feel good about the line. Lombardi has been inaccurate. The MSU system wasn't super QB friendly last season, and he had some awful wind games, but that needs to improve (i don't know how much a QB can fix that.)

The secondary is the #1 issue for the D. I like the safeties, I like the youth at corner, but it needs to show up. Dillion Thomas moving to safety makes me feel better. He plays hard, just isn't a corner. Not his fault.
08-23-2021 06:06 PM
Big Redd Offline
Special Teams

Run defense is my #1
08-23-2021 08:45 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(08-23-2021 06:06 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  
(08-23-2021 05:05 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  I think there are three keys and unknowns that will determine our success or lack thereof this season, my 50th season of following the program.

1) Oline play

I think these are all very good, I would put QB play at #1, I feel good about the line. Lombardi has been inaccurate. The MSU system wasn't super QB friendly last season, and he had some awful wind games, but that needs to improve (i don't know how much a QB can fix that.)

The secondary is the #1 issue for the D. I like the safeties, I like the youth at corner, but it needs to show up. Dillion Thomas moving to safety makes me feel better. He plays hard, just isn't a corner. Not his fault.

Lombardi has been overlooked by those other new interesting guys at other positions. QB has been the bugaboo here since Hare. I think we are giving Rocky the benefit of the doubt due to him coming from MSU. Has the "pedigree". I have him as the #1 determining factor of the teams success. The D-line #2. Secondary 3 and O-line 4.
08-23-2021 09:08 PM
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
12 Days!!!!
Should be a very exciting and interesting year to watch Huskie Football. Do we get the young and upcoming talent we all hope? Or do we get the youngsters not yet ready to come into their own?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
08-24-2021 07:02 AM
Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

Being so far removed in Reno, it's very difficult to predict anything, but based on the conversations I've heard, I would put both the O-line and D-line in the top spot followed by the secondary. D-line pass pressure will help the later.

QB play will be critical as well. Hopefully, the tight end position can help on the run game and passing game.

I miss the early 2010's when we knew we had a chance in most games. This team being so young, makes this a guessing game to some extent.
Go Huskies!
08-24-2021 08:34 AM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(08-23-2021 09:08 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(08-23-2021 06:06 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  

1) Oline play

I think Childers was underrated and not used correctly under Rod.

He was an excellent runner and if nothing else a good game manager, although his passing was not up to par at times. He played lights out in the MACC against Buffalo.

Lombardi has been overlooked by those other new interesting guys at other positions. QB has been the bugaboo here since Hare. I think we are giving Rocky the benefit of the doubt due to him coming from MSU. Has the "pedigree". I have him as the #1 determining factor of the teams success. The D-line #2. Secondary 3 and O-line 4.
08-24-2021 08:41 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

Anyone here want to venture a guess at the 2-Deeps? We are 1 week away from the official release of a 2-Deep
08-24-2021 09:37 AM
Advertisement

ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

Hopeful for a winning record and a Bowl game this year, but more importantly want to see the some athletes and plays on the field that allow to dream of the near years to come. Need at a minimum to create optimism the program is on the cusp of something great, even if this is not the year it all comes together
08-24-2021 09:39 AM
Red Dog Offline
Special Teams

I'm extremely excited for the season to start! I'm cautiously optimistic for this season- we have talent on this roster , there's no doubt about that. Yes, we are still young at a lot of positions but so are most teams in the country. I think 5-7 wins is very realistic and should be the goal. We obviously need to win some ballgames this year to show some improvement. Anything less than 5 will be a disappointment- my guess is 6. hopefully I'm wrong!

Out of the non-conference power 5 games (Georgia Tech and Michigan) I think G tech is beatable. Both teams will have some first game rust but if we can come out and play a relatively clean game, who knows!

Go Huskies! THE HARD WAY
08-24-2021 10:23 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Everything starts with trenches. Offensive and defensive lines are key. No holes, no pass protection no plays. No pass rush no control of line of scrimmage long days for defensive secondary. I believe we have plenty of playmakers on offense just need some time and room.
08-24-2021 01:02 PM
clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
(08-24-2021 09:39 AM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  Hopeful for a winning record and a Bowl game this year, but more importantly want to see the some athletes and plays on the field that allow to dream of the near years to come. Need at a minimum to create optimism the program is on the cusp of something great, even if this is not the year it all comes together

One of my favorite days of the year is 2-deep day. Multiple tabs open for deep dives on all our players I'm not totally familiar with.
08-24-2021 03:15 PM
Advertisement

UnknownScout Offline
2nd String

(08-24-2021 01:02 PM)klake87 Wrote:  Everything starts with trenches. Offensive and defensive lines are key. No holes, no pass protection no plays. No pass rush no control of line of scrimmage long days for defensive secondary. I believe we have plenty of playmakers on offense just need some time and room.

This is the key to a successful season. That, and having a healthy squad. We can get by with a less than stellar secondary if the D-Line can get pressure on the QB consistently. Same with the offense, if the O-Line protects the QB, it can open a whole world of offensive possibilities.
08-25-2021 10:17 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I’m a little confused as to why there is as much concern/emphasis on the O-line. I believe it’s the only unit returning all its starters. So it has experience across all spots. It has size (avg 6’5”, 312 lbs). And has better depth(young back ups have grown on avg by 15lbs).

They weren’t great last year. No position on the team was. But there is really zero reason to not expect good things from this group. Outside of RB it may be the most stacked group on the team.

If the concern is about them being great, then I guess that is reasonable. But to not expect this line to do more than enough to get those talented backs and receivers ample time and space, that confuses me.
08-25-2021 10:54 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-25-2021 10:54 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  I’m a little confused as to why there is as much concern/emphasis on the O-line. I believe it’s the only unit returning all its starters. So it has experience across all spots. It has size (avg 6’5”, 312 lbs). And has better depth(young back ups have grown on avg by 15lbs).

They weren’t great last year. No position on the team was. But there is really zero reason to not expect good things from this group. Outside of RB it may be the most stacked group on the team.

If the concern is about them being great, then I guess that is reasonable. But to not expect this line to do more than enough to get those talented backs and receivers ample time and space, that confuses me.

We had a small sample size last year. Just because they are big, that means little if they can't move, block etc. The trenches control the game. They play well we will do well. After a couple of games, we will know.
08-25-2021 12:39 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(08-25-2021 12:39 PM)klake87 Wrote:  
(08-25-2021 10:54 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  I’m a little confused as to why there is as much concern/emphasis on the O-line. I believe it’s the only unit returning all its starters. So it has experience across all spots. It has size (avg 6’5”, 312 lbs). And has better depth(young back ups have grown on avg by 15lbs).

We had a small sample size last year. Just because they are big, that means little if they can't move, block etc. The trenches control the game. They play well we will do well. After a couple of games, we will know.

They weren’t a disaster last year. I’d give them a C or C-. But last year was really tough to develope line cohesion for a mostly new group. Now that they’re in their second year together with a full off season I’m sure they will improve. Probably a lot. And anyone who can’t move(I didn’t really see that last year but I’m no o-line aficionado) there is talent behind them. The D line I would grade ironically at a D. And they have lost arguably their best player in Mr.MacIsTooEasy. Plus they have little depth.

There’s no real weak link on the O-line we’re you’d say “we are so screwed there”. There’s also not any mystery. Patton is on yr 5. Cox and Potter are on yr 4 and Z on yr 3. If any of those guys were busts we should know by now.
08-25-2021 01:08 PM
stpeterocketfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
The ESPN Bottom Ten is hot off the press!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...k-bad-ever
08-25-2021 01:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.