Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Volleyball invitational Aug. 27-28 at the Convo
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Volleyball invitational Aug. 27-28 at the Convo
The extent of athletic marketing seems to be to post releases on the official website and that's it. So they did on this one. Whoopee.

Anyway, women's volleyball is hosting an invitational Aug. 27-28 at the Convo, with the other schools being Western Illinois, Cal State-Bakersfield, William & Mary and Air Force. (Nice to get a "national" team in on this.)

Ok, the official website link ...

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2021/7/28/wo...edule.aspx

Northern has another 3-team home event Sept. 16-17-18 with Wisconsin-Green Bay and Wisconsin (nice to see a B1G team coming in).
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2021 01:28 AM by pvk75.)
07-31-2021 01:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: Volleyball invitational Aug. 27-28 at the Convo
(07-31-2021 01:24 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  The extent of athletic marketing seems to be to post releases on the official website and that's it. So they did on this one. Whoopee.

Anyway, women's volleyball is hosting an invitational Aug. 27-28 at the Convo, with the other schools being Western Illinois, Cal State-Bakersfield, William & Mary and Air Force. (Nice to get a "national" team in on this.)

Northern has another 3-team home event Sept. 16-17-18 with Wisconsin-Green Bay and Wisconsin (nice to see a B1G team coming in).

This question goes to the people that know college volleyball. Are the Lady Huskies the top team in the Charleston Southern Invitational? Or do the other teams have good Women's Volleyball programs also?
07-31-2021 03:08 PM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
(07-31-2021 03:08 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  
(07-31-2021 01:24 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  The extent of athletic marketing seems to be to post releases on the official website and that's it. So they did on this one. Whoopee.

This question goes to the people that know college volleyball. Are the Lady Huskies the top team in the Charleston Southern Invitational? Or do the other teams have good Women's Volleyball programs also?

Hope this helps:

Charleston Southern was 9 - 5 in 20 - 21 including a split with the Blue Hens
Bethune Cookman was 8 - 24
The Citadel was 9 - 12

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08-01-2021 10:23 AM
Advertisement

Schaefer Beer Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(08-01-2021 10:23 AM)pantone1935 Wrote:  
(07-31-2021 03:08 PM)Schaefer Beer Wrote:  

Hope this helps:

Charleston Southern was 9 - 5 in 20 - 21 including a split with the Blue Hens
Bethune Cookman was 8 - 24
The Citadel was 9 - 12

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Pantone. And I should have looked that info myself.
I maybe looking at this through Men's College basketball host tournaments goggles where the host team usually has a somewhat decent team and 2 cupcakes to fill out their tournament where the host team is almost assuredly to win.
Before MTE's and non- exempt neutral site games became the norm in early MBB season scheduling, there were the host tournaments like the Illini Classic or the Amana Hawkeye Classic where the host would always win.
And they would send out big press programs about the "Great tradition" of that tournament and how Illinois had won 25 straight Illini Classics etc. Maybe it was to please the basketball boosters.

I guess by the Charleston Southern Invitational as well the Huskies tournament with Wisconsin, that women's volleyball has even scheduling norms where P5 teams will travel to G5 invitationals with no hangups. Good for WVB!.
08-01-2021 01:07 PM
Fade2black Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ALLNIU
NIU plays Wisconsin on September 18th in Dekalb. Wisconsin could easily be ranked the number 1 women's volleyball team in the country at that time. The match should be played in the main arena rather than Victor E. Court as the attendance could reach 3,000 to 4,500 fans if the match were played there. Wisconsin VB fans travel extremely well, sell out their home arena regularly, and Wisconsin football does not play that weekend. NIU should not be content to jam 1,200 fans into VEC and turn people away. Wisky fans will know that VEC is tiny and could arrive early to dominate the crowd. C'mon Sean, get busy and do whatever is necessary to make the arena suitable for volleyball.
08-02-2021 09:01 AM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(08-02-2021 09:01 AM)Fade2black Wrote:  NIU plays Wisconsin on September 18th in Dekalb. Wisconsin could easily be ranked the number 1 women's volleyball team in the country at that time. The match should be played in the main arena rather than Victor E. Court as the attendance could reach 3,000 to 4,500 fans if the match were played there. Wisconsin VB fans travel extremely well, sell out their home arena regularly, and Wisconsin football does not play that weekend. NIU should not be content to jam 1,200 fans into VEC and turn people away. Wisky fans will know that VEC is tiny and could arrive early to dominate the crowd. C'mon Sean, get busy and do whatever is necessary to make the arena suitable for volleyball.

Seems like an obvious and easy adjustment, get on it Sean....
08-02-2021 09:05 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(08-02-2021 09:05 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(08-02-2021 09:01 AM)Fade2black Wrote:  NIU plays Wisconsin on September 18th in Dekalb. Wisconsin could easily be ranked the number 1 women's volleyball team in the country at that time. The match should be played in the main arena rather than Victor E. Court as the attendance could reach 3,000 to 4,500 fans if the match were played there. Wisconsin VB fans travel extremely well, sell out their home arena regularly, and Wisconsin football does not play that weekend. NIU should not be content to jam 1,200 fans into VEC and turn people away. Wisky fans will know that VEC is tiny and could arrive early to dominate the crowd. C'mon Sean, get busy and do whatever is necessary to make the arena suitable for volleyball.

He's too busy talking to donors and season ticket holders and, if he has a spare moment, ordering hot dogs for the upcoming season. That man works very hard!
08-02-2021 09:24 AM
Advertisement

Huskie D Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Niu
(08-02-2021 09:05 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

I was pleasantly surprised and glad to see a team such as Wisconsin on the docket for this tournament. If you want a high end/showcase type of tournament, play it in a suitable setting like the Convo and NOT VEC!
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2021 09:25 AM by Huskie D.)
08-02-2021 06:35 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Wisconsin-Green Bay is not too shabby either. Not counting the covid-impacted 2020-21 season, GB finished 21-9 the year before, including a win over Ohio State. They were 20-11 the year before that (2018), won the Horizon championship, and lost to Wisconsin in the first round of the NCAA tournament. If they're travel partners with Whisky, the whole thing should be in the main Convo. Don't embarrass us by splitting the tournament between two venues. Let's show off a bit.

(I wonder, tho, since bball skeds are not out yet, if there's a conflict. If so, really dumb to sked a conflict with teams like that coming in for v-ball. Hopefully not.)

The sked is:
Sept. 16 NIU v GB 6 p.m.
Sept. 17 Wisc. v GB 6 p.m.
Sept. 18 NIU v. Wisc. 6 p.m.

If nothing else, see what attendance is like on 9-17 when the two Wisconsins go at it, then shift to the main Convo for the NIU-Wisc. matchup on 9-18. I bet Fade2Black is right on the headcount.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2021 08:17 PM by pvk75.)
08-02-2021 07:59 PM
Advertisement

pvk75 Offline
All American

Re-edit cuz I forgot one ....

NIU vs. Air Force Saturday 2 p.m. on schedule for ESPN3.

Also, Friday night's match against CSU Bakersfield will be on ESPN+ at 7 p.m.

Links to coverage in the red box on the website post at
https://niuhuskies.com/news/2021/8/26/wo...ekend.aspx
08-26-2021 07:34 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

NIU def. WIU 3-1 in early match. Having much tougher time with CSUB. Now on ESPN+.

------------------

CSUB def. NIU 3-1.

------------------

NIU def. Air Force 3-0.
Record 2-1.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2021 06:23 PM by pvk75.)
08-27-2021 07:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.