Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nostradamus aka tin foil hat time
Bookmark and Share
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Nostradamus aka tin foil hat time
The next couple of years could be impact where your team rests the rest of your lifetime.

There are current conference members of the P5 that were at the right place right time and continue to be members even though they aren’t competitive nor have the up side of others.

The boarder line P5/G5 members whether you look at on the field/court performance or marketz are going to slip in or just miss out.

Does schools like Tulsa and Tulane beat out mid-tier on the field programs like FAU and GA St?
07-25-2021 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
RE: Nostradamus aka tin foil hat time
I’ve always felt that the AAC would be the ultimate destination for AppSt. Never really felt that the east coast football league fantasy would ever play out.

Would have liked to have better results last year to build on, but this year is another chance to make a good impact on perception. Beating ECU and playing well at Miami would help along with another division championship.

ECU would likely be left in the AAC if any teams are taken, making a great natural rival and travel partner. Throw Marshall in there, and you’ve got a great league even without UC, Memphis or UCF.

It could happen, if the 8 remaining in the Big 12 stick together and grab BYU and a couple of AAC schools (UC, Memphis, UCF). It’s a lot less likely if PAC 12/BIG10 grabs all of the remaining 8 schools.

I don’t see a scenario where AAC has enough horsepower to grab all 8 remaining Big12 schools.

So, my guess is: we either stay in the SBC or we move to the AAC as a result of all this. My personal opinion is App has the best resume of all SBC schools for a move, and this time, geography might play into our hands.

It’s possible the remaining leagues will swap teams for more regional alignment after all the P5/6 moves are made.
07-25-2021 09:03 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(07-25-2021 08:13 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  The next couple of years could be impact where your team rests the rest of your lifetime.

There are current conference members of the P5 that were at the right place right time and continue to be members even though they aren’t competitive nor have the up side of others.

The boarder line P5/G5 members whether you look at on the field/court performance or marketz are going to slip in or just miss out.

Does schools like Tulsa and Tulane beat out mid-tier on the field programs like FAU and GA St?

To answer your question directly: anyone being considered for this next round of conference moves will be recognizable programs that have a history of success in football. Period. Yes, there are some lucky few in the P5 along for the ride with lousy programs, that won’t change. However, it’s my belief that this round will be dominated by promoting and inviting excellent programs, and less about markets. Streaming changes everything. If you don’t have butts in the stands and a good product on the field, don’t expect to be called up this time. Ask CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 09:15 AM by GoAppsGo92.)
07-25-2021 09:12 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2021 09:03 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  I’ve always felt that the AAC would be the ultimate destination for AppSt. Never really felt that the east coast football league fantasy would ever play out.

Would have liked to have better results last year to build on, but this year is another chance to make a good impact on perception. Beating ECU and playing well at Miami would help along with another division championship.

ECU would likely be left in the AAC if any teams are taken, making a great natural rival and travel partner. Throw Marshall in there, and you’ve got a great league even without UC, Memphis or UCF.

It could happen, if the 8 remaining in the Big 12 stick together and grab BYU and a couple of AAC schools (UC, Memphis, UCF). It’s a lot less likely if PAC 12/BIG10 grabs all of the remaining 8 schools.

I don’t see a scenario where AAC has enough horsepower to grab all 8 remaining Big12 schools.

So, my guess is: we either stay in the SBC or we move to the AAC as a result of all this. My personal opinion is App has the best resume of all SBC schools for a move, and this time, geography might play into our hands.

It’s possible the remaining leagues will swap teams for more regional alignment after all the P5/6 moves are made.

If there's even a .05% chance of landing in a conference with ECU, Marshall, and GS the admin need to make a 100% effort to make that happen. Having games against those 3 every year would fill the coffers to the roof.
07-25-2021 09:18 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Presidents will make the decisions and I don’t think we’ll see a different blue print. Marketz will play a larger part than you’d like.
07-25-2021 09:20 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(07-25-2021 09:18 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 09:03 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  I’ve always felt that the AAC would be the ultimate destination for AppSt. Never really felt that the east coast football league fantasy would ever play out.

If there's even a .05% chance of landing in a conference with ECU, Marshall, and GS the admin need to make a 100% effort to make that happen. Having games against those 3 every year would fill the coffers to the roof.

While GS would be nice, I’d like to get away from the notion that we are a package deal. Our resume far outshines them in football since the move. I know this may draw ire, but this should be a conversation about what’s best for each school.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 09:27 AM by GoAppsGo92.)
07-25-2021 09:22 AM
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

App would drop GS if an opportunity to join some of the eastern AAC members arose. GS would do the same.
07-25-2021 09:26 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(07-25-2021 09:20 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Presidents will make the decisions and I don’t think we’ll see a different blue print. Marketz will play a larger part than you’d like.

Change Marketz to footprint and I will agree with you. Streaming changes everything, no one is going to fall for the markez argument after the tier 2 conferences learned their lesson, and the game changed on them. This will be about program quality and eyeballs. ESPN knows the Q rating of AppState. And it’s not because of where we are located and our TV market.
07-25-2021 09:26 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2021 09:26 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  App would drop GS if an opportunity to join some of the eastern AAC members arose. GS would do the same.

Leaving historic rivalries behind is a great way to stunt a program's progress. It's happened so many times that it's impossible to ignore.
07-25-2021 09:38 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I’m a massive conference shift, my goal would be to get with USM, add Tulane and Louisiana and I’d be happy. Don’t think I’d mind being the eastern corner of the conference if it included those 3 schools as well. Add UAb and Rice for good measure, and fill in with other schools not called F_U. Hell, give me back WKU and MTSU, keep stAte and add LaTech. That gets me to 10.

As much as enjoy our current conference mates, I know each of us have our own dream conference, App would like to go eastern, TxSt would like to go western, we are in the middle.

I didn’t leave out Troy, in this scenario, made up completely in my head, has Troy going East with the Georgia schools.
07-25-2021 09:40 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

Winning the SBC B-ball tournament isn’t going to hurt either. Timing of turning that mess around could be huge.
07-25-2021 09:40 AM
Advertisement

GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(07-25-2021 09:38 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(07-25-2021 09:26 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  App would drop GS if an opportunity to join some of the eastern AAC members arose. GS would do the same.

Leaving historic rivalries behind is a great way to stunt a program's progress. It's happened so many times that it's impossible to ignore.

No reason GS can’t be a regular non conference game.
07-25-2021 09:41 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(07-25-2021 09:41 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

No reason GS can’t be a regular non conference game.

Again, look at all the times losing in conference rivalries has hurt teams. Why do you think UT and OU always is talked about as a pair. Nebraska died the minute they left their rival. Pitt too. Why do you think UConn was willing to take such a financial hit to get back into the Big East? Their attendance shat itself in the AAC, even playing their old rivals OOC.
07-25-2021 09:44 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

And also, who wants to waist an OOC game on those ditch water drinkers?

Having that rivalry is why GS and App came into the SBC with such a bang.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 09:46 AM by Yosef Himself.)
07-25-2021 09:45 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

(07-25-2021 09:45 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  And also, who wants to waist an OOC game on those ditch water drinkers?

Having that rivalry is why GS and App came into the SBC with such a bang.

You and I can agree on that. If the scenario is: get Marshall and ECU but drop GS, I know what I’d pick.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 09:48 AM by GoAppsGo92.)
07-25-2021 09:47 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

You are over estimating the benefit and/or underestimating the trade off in potential rivals. Left WCU and Furman hasn’t hurt us. We wouldn’t trade games vs GA St or CCU for those two today.

In my scenario above we trade ECU and at least one other eastern member for GS. Again they would do the same.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021 09:50 AM by Saint3333.)
07-25-2021 09:49 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
I don’t know if we’re far enough into the world of streaming yet for marketz to not make a difference this time around. Lots of people who are making these decisions are still going to be stuck in the cable-tv mindset. There’s also some things that come along with being in a major tv market that are still useful too, like proximity to airports.

GS has major facility upgrades set to be completed by 2023, I can only hope we get them done before the dominoes start to fall. We are usually competitive in all 3 major sports year in-year out. It’s an anomaly if we aren’t, but we need to be more than just competitive and start winning titles if we want to have the attention of the programs that will be dictating who joined their new conference when the time comes. I’m thinking Marshall, ECU, USF, UAB, USM, etc. consistent 8 or 9 win football seasons and middle of the pack basketball won’t be enough for those schools.
07-25-2021 10:10 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
ask university presidents what they desire in those they call peers.
my bet is that the blueprint didnt change. academics, stability, growth, money, and location.
presidents live in another plane of existence and don't value things the same as us fans do.
athletics is only one of many facets for financial gains and PR effort toward enrollment growth for the benefit of the university. a tool to be used. not the end-all-be-all goal in their eyes.
ex.) Texas is only attractive for the money it brings, not its athletic success. Texas has been quite terrible for some time actually. Conversely, WV could argue about its sports until their face turns blue (again), ACC will never let them in.
07-25-2021 10:38 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
There are schools being mentioned of being soft out of a Big 12/AAC merge. Tulane, ECU and Tulsa, could be we add without going to CUSA. So question is, would we prefer ECU or Marshall, Southern Miss or Tulane???

ECU would make a nice travel partner for CCU. Just saying.
07-25-2021 03:15 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

My uneducated guess is the Big 12 is done, the Pac Ten, ACC, AAC and maybe the Bg Ten take what’s left and there isn’t much, if any, movement in the remaining G5s unless they decide it’s time for a regional approach between the SBC and CUSA.
07-25-2021 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.