Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Well if we get left behind...
Bookmark and Share
grapes Offline
GTG

I Root For: MEMPHIS/AAC
Well if we get left behind...
we gotta be the best team left right... it would be nice to run a conference again like cusa... hmmm

in all honesty after reading a lot into it and just thinking it over I really think our chances are low... all in all this could be a devastating blow for our program as a whole and put us into a category of teams who are permanent leftovers that will never get the upgrade.

the list of teams who have been in our conference and have upgraded without us is.. huge already.. having teams like houston and ucf who have been with us forever get the nod hurts.. bad..

im heartbroken thinking about a conference without houston cincinnati and ucf..
07-23-2021 12:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
RE: Well if we get left behind...
let's go independent
07-23-2021 12:44 AM
grapes Offline
GTG

I Root For: MEMPHIS/AAC
(07-23-2021 12:44 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  let's go independent

honestly... a great idea if this falls through like this
just look at byu and how they are able to schedule great teams being independent and not worry about a wack conference
07-23-2021 12:47 AM
tigers0830 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Go independent in football and then plead with the Big East to let you in for basketball.
07-23-2021 06:41 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(07-23-2021 06:41 AM)tigers0830 Wrote:  Go independent in football and then plead with the Big East to let you in for basketball.

That might be our best option. If we are left behind, do whatever is possible to save basketball.
07-23-2021 07:39 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I think some this board are being too pessimistic. If Texas and Oklahoma leave I think a few other Big 12 programs will also find landing spots in other autonomous conferences. How many are left behind will determine whether those programs join the AAC or AAC program join them. But I can easily see a scenario where six teams are added now in a couple later. Memphis would be somewhere in that mix in my opinion.
07-23-2021 07:49 AM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2021 07:49 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  I think some this board are being too pessimistic. If Texas and Oklahoma leave I think a few other Big 12 programs will also find landing spots in other autonomous conferences. How many are left behind will determine whether those programs join the AAC or AAC program join them. But I can easily see a scenario where six teams are added now in a couple later. Memphis would be somewhere in that mix in my opinion.

It just sounds like we are further on down the list -

UCF
Houston
BYU
Cincy
Boise(??)
Col St (??)
SMU (??)

We just need to hope for about 6 spots to open up and I think we'd be safe. Depending on who you ask, we told the B12 to go jump last time when they changed the terms of the deal at the 11th hour and that is why we didnt make the list before. If that is true, I cant imagine it doing anything but working against us this time.
07-23-2021 08:00 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

BFS. It’s a thing.
07-23-2021 08:03 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-23-2021 08:03 AM)holyterror Wrote:  BFS. It’s a thing.

We have fans thinking that Tulane, Rice, Colorado State, SMU, Boise State, BYU, USF and Houston would get in ahead of us. Mind boggling.
07-23-2021 08:10 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
The problem is it will likely be a domino process. Obviously the B12 remainders will move quickly, probably adding 4 schools. And those 4 schools will depend somewhat on what Fox is willing to pay the NB-12 going forward when their TV contract expires in 2025 (or even under the existing contract absent UT & OU). But then the other dominos will take some time, maybe even 1-2 years for the B1G, PAC to counter, if they do at all.
07-23-2021 08:11 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Actually Memphis is in that group being mentioned in the national media as one of the possible candidates if this realignment happens. We're great Geographic fit, and provide another recruiting area. We have one of the best G5 football programs in the nation and it's been sustained for a while now. Good facilities and National branded basketball. Sorry I don't see the reason we're not going to be one of the handful of schools in that Final Mix.
07-23-2021 08:12 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-23-2021 08:12 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Actually Memphis is in that group being mentioned in the national media as one of the possible candidates if this realignment happens. We're great Geographic fit, and provide another recruiting area. We have one of the best G5 football programs in the nation and it's been sustained for a while now. Good facilities and National branded basketball. Sorry I don't see the reason we're not going to be one of the handful of schools in that Final Mix.

Cincinnati is the first choice, we are second, UCF is third and everyone else is behind them. 4 tiers with equal distance between each.
07-23-2021 08:15 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Why would the BIGXII not go back to 12 members if they are forced to backfill?
07-23-2021 08:21 AM
aardWolf Offline
Heisman

(07-23-2021 08:11 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  The problem is it will likely be a domino process. Obviously the B12 remainders will move quickly, probably adding 4 schools. And those 4 schools will depend somewhat on what Fox is willing to pay the NB-12 going forward when their TV contract expires in 2025 (or even under the existing contract absent UT & OU). But then the other dominos will take some time, maybe even 1-2 years for the B1G, PAC to counter, if they do at all.

This is the Big12 we're talking about here. It will take them 3 months of meetings just to decide on the first candidate list.
07-23-2021 08:22 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Looking at this objectively on AAC teams only

When the big east expanded...Cinci and USF went before us. Cinci has continued to be successful and USF has fallen apart...I say UCF has definitely surpassed them in any expansion talks.

Cinci is obviously still first tier.

Then you have UCF and Memphis...Possibly Houston if the Texas schools don't mind adding another Texas school.

We are in the hunt but far from a shoe in...Especially if they only add 2...But I see them adding 4 if this happens.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021 08:34 AM by macgar32.)
07-23-2021 08:32 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(07-23-2021 08:22 AM)aardWolf Wrote:  
(07-23-2021 08:11 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  The problem is it will likely be a domino process. Obviously the B12 remainders will move quickly, probably adding 4 schools. And those 4 schools will depend somewhat on what Fox is willing to pay the NB-12 going forward when their TV contract expires in 2025 (or even under the existing contract absent UT & OU). But then the other dominos will take some time, maybe even 1-2 years for the B1G, PAC to counter, if they do at all.

This is the Big12 we're talking about here. It will take them 3 months of meetings just to decide on the first candidate list.

The problems in point form...

- The worst leadership imaginable; brainless, no vision for the future

- Texas and Oklahoma bullying everyone around

- The lesser schools (Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Texas Tech) knew expansion would relegate their games to lesser networks, or they wouldn't be televised at all

- Everyone hated Houston, the Texas schools couldn't be seen as not voting them in, especially since they performed well on the field

- Cincinnati was performing poorly at the time, going through a change in Presidents

- ESPN ended up blowing up the deal at the last minute

A lot of those issues don't exist anymore.
07-23-2021 08:34 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

How much is a B-12 worth absent UT & OU? That will be the first factor for the NB-12 to determine who is interested in moving to the NB-12. For sure, precedence says remaining members will not share residual exit fees, NCAA credits etc. with incoming members. 3rd, relationships & personalities will play a part in any moves/invitations. It's this factor that caused UCONN to be left out in the last big move, WVU winding up in the B-12 rather than the ACC, & Rutgers getting an invite to the B1G over probably more qualified possibilities. And another factor could be what commercial influences a school might be able to bring. If FedEx & AutoZone (& any other big movers who might benefit by a Memphis move up) were willing to get involved in a big way, it could leverage for Memphis. Point is lots of factors beyond the obvious & it will be a wild scramble that will likely play out over the next several years.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2021 08:39 AM by Atlanta.)
07-23-2021 08:35 AM
Revan Offline
Water Engineer

Honestly, i dont think any G5 teams make the cut. ND and WVU to ACC, KS and KSU to Big 10, TT BAY TCU & OK ST to pac 12, isu gets left out and joins aac. That would make (4) 16 team conferences. I think this time around all of the metrics/qualifications supposedly used before are thrown out the window and its just an arms race between the 4 meg conferences. Sucks but seems like that is reality.
07-23-2021 08:35 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2021 08:32 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  Looking at this objectively on AAC teams only

When the big east expanded...Cinci and USF went before us. Cinci has continued to be successful and USF has fallen apart...I say UCF has definitely surpassed them in any expansion talks.

Cinci is obviously still first tier.

Then you have UCF and Memphis...Possibly Houston if the Texas schools don't mind adding another Texas school.

We are in the hunt but far from a shoe in...Especially if they only add 2...But I see them adding 4 if this happens.

Agree Cincinnati is the first pick. I think Memphis is in that big group that comes after. Houston might be second depending on the number of Texas teams left. Outside of the AAC there's BYU. Maybe Boise.
07-23-2021 08:40 AM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(07-23-2021 08:35 AM)Revan Wrote:  Honestly, i dont think any G5 teams make the cut. ND and WVU to ACC, KS and KSU to Big 10, TT BAY TCU & OK ST to pac 12, isu gets left out and joins aac. That would make (4) 16 team conferences. I think this time around all of the metrics/qualifications supposedly used before are thrown out the window and its just an arms race between the 4 meg conferences. Sucks but seems like that is reality.

Unfortunately, I think that this is most likely.
07-23-2021 08:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.