Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl Affiliation in New 12-Team Format
micahandme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: PSU
Bowl Affiliation in New 12-Team Format
I've read a fair bit, but I haven't seen these details parsed out much.

It's assumed that the NY6 will become the carriers of the neutral site quarterfinals and playoffs for the new system.

Will they try to keep traditional affiliation? A big question. Let's assume yes. Allow the bye teams to begin travel arrangements ASAP.

Then, how will they match up teams from the "first round" with those bye teams?

I'm a PSU fan, so I'll use 2016 to tease out a proposal.

2016 - CFP Matchups
Byes:
Sugar Bowl #1 Alabama^ (13-0)
Orange Bowl #2 Clemson^ (12-1)
Rose Bowl#4 Washington^ (12-1) vs. #5 Penn St.^ (10-2)
Fiesta Bowl--highest ranked first round winners

First Round Matchups:
#9 USC (9-3) @ #8 Wisconsin (10-3) Propsed winner...USC
#15 Western Michigan° (13-0) @ #3 Ohio St. (11-1) Proposed winner...OSU
#10 Colorado (10-3) @ #7 Oklahoma^ (10-2) Proposed winner...OU
#11 Florida St. (9-3) @ #6 Michigan (10-2) Proposed winner...FSU

Then, we'd have
Sugar--#1 Bama vs. #11 FSU
Orange--#2 Clemson vs. #9 USC
Rose--#4 UW vs. #5 PSU
Fiesta--#3 OSU vs. #7 OU

Semifinals
Rose winner vs. Sugar winner
Orange winner vs. Fiesta winner

What do you think about a set-up like that?
06-16-2021 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
RE: Bowl Affiliation in New 12-Team Format
Do we want to go 2 weeks beyond NYD and start getting into the spring semester at some schools? Or would this result in putting the NCG prime time MLK weekend?
06-16-2021 02:50 PM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

(06-16-2021 02:50 PM)whittx Wrote:  Do we want to go 2 weeks beyond NYD and start getting into the spring semester at some schools? Or would this result in putting the NCG prime time MLK weekend?

Frank the Tank thinks it'd be the fourth Monday after New Year's (MLK Jr. Day is the third Monday). The fourth Monday would be the 22th-28th depending on the year. But you need ample time to separate Jan 1-2 and the semifinal round...and then the semis and finals.
06-16-2021 02:57 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Are you assuming that #5 Penn State is the B1G champ by virtue of winning a rematch against Ohio State but the Buckeyes remain ranked #3?

I would have assumed that the four bye teams would each host an NY6 quarterfinal.
06-16-2021 02:59 PM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

(06-16-2021 02:59 PM)ken d Wrote:  Are you assuming that #5 Penn State is the B1G champ by virtue of winning a rematch against Ohio State but the Buckeyes remain ranked #3?

I would have assumed that the four bye teams would each host an NY6 quarterfinal.

The new 12-team proposal gives the top 4 ranked conference champs the first-round bye. PSU and OSU were 7-1 in Big Ten play and PSU won the head-to-head tie-breaker. PSU went to the Big Ten champ game and beat Wisconsin.

Oklahoma is the 5th highest ranked conference champ...so they didn't get a bye.
06-16-2021 03:05 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
I’m really curious what the relationship will be with the bowls. I’m going to assume the top 4 champs with the byes will get assigned to their historical bowls but my questions are:

Will all 6 that we now call the NY6 still be involved?

Will bowls switch off between being quarter final and semi final hosts?

Will there still be a “Rose Bowl” on NYD when/if Pasadena hosts a semi? (Same question goes for all the others)

Personally I’m a fan of just having 4 permanent quarter final bowls and the semis and finals all being played in 1 city a week apart but I don’t think this is an option the folks in charge have discussed/entertained.
06-16-2021 03:17 PM
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Washington and Penn State wouldn't play each other in the quarterfinals under the proposed new format. The 4 highest-ranked conference champs are the top 4 seeds, so each of them plays one of the 4 winners of the first round.

The below assumes no major conference realignment in the next few years (like the Big 12 losing UT/OU).

For the 1 year in 3 where each pair of NY6 bowls is not part of the CFP, you'd have the top-ranked non-CFP teams from the following conferences in their respective bowls:

Rose: highest-ranked Big Ten and Pac-12 teams outside the CFP
Sugar: highest-ranked Big 12 and SEC teams outside the CFP

Orange: highest-ranked ACC team outside the CFP vs. otherwise highest-ranked non-CFP team
Cotton: at-large

Fiesta: at-large
Peach: at-large

For the years in which the bowls are part of the CFP, you'd attempt to arrange the quarterfinals so that at least one team would be from the traditional conferences associated with the bowl.

Rose: Pac-12 if possible, Big Ten if not
Sugar: SEC if possible, Big 12 if not
Orange: ACC if possible
Cotton: at-large
Fiesta: at-large
Peach: at-large

Getting both conferences represented in the Rose or Sugar would be a challenge with the bracket strictly based on seed.

Semifinals and final are played later in January.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2021 03:28 PM by Nerdlinger.)
06-16-2021 03:20 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
It would mostly be like the NCAA men's basketball tournament now, the highest seeds go to the most geographically convenient bowls first.

Many traditionalists would assume Ohio State would choose to go to the Rose Bowl but from a practical standpoint would they really want to play there if they have a chance to play at a closer bowl site, especially if their potential Rose Bowl opponent is from the Pac 12 (even gasp USC or even UCLA)? Of course they could play Florida or Florida State in the Orange Bowl but all things being even you pick the bowl that's best for you and your fans. Ohio State shouldn't pick what is best for CSNBBS or even the Big Ten, they should pick what's best for Ohio State.
06-16-2021 03:26 PM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

One thing I forgot...currently the Big 12 is tied to the Sugar.

I can see the Pac-12 and Big Ten saying...we don't care if we have two teams who are get first-round byes, we want them playing in the Rose.

I do not see the Big 12 aligning itself with the Sugar like that. It's history is too short. Maybe the Big 12 would bounce to the Fiesta? Or, does the Cotton Bowl get roped in as the other New Year's Day quarterfinal bowl?
06-16-2021 03:28 PM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

(06-16-2021 03:26 PM)schmolik Wrote:  It would mostly be like the NCAA men's basketball tournament now, the highest seeds go to the most geographically convenient bowls first.

Many traditionalists would assume Ohio State would choose to go to the Rose Bowl but from a practical standpoint would they really want to play there if they have a chance to play at a closer bowl site, especially if their potential Rose Bowl opponent is from the Pac 12 (even gasp USC or even UCLA)? Of course they could play Florida or Florida State in the Orange Bowl but all things being even you pick the bowl that's best for you and your fans. Ohio State shouldn't pick what is best for CSNBBS or even the Big Ten, they should pick what's best for Ohio State.

The original Big Ten schools live for the Rose Bowl. They don't care about home field advantage.

But, any bowl allegiance for a conference is going to make this thing messy.
06-16-2021 03:31 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Whittx: it's ADORABLE you think they give 2 poops about their education.
06-16-2021 03:54 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

(06-16-2021 03:26 PM)schmolik Wrote:  It would mostly be like the NCAA men's basketball tournament now, the highest seeds go to the most geographically convenient bowls first.

The Big Ten champ is going to always want the Rose Bowl and here’s why—

If facing the PAC 12, it’s a historical match up and good for ratings—

If facing anyone but the PAC 12, it’s a neutral site. Why would a Big Ten team want to play a southern team in their own backyard?
06-16-2021 04:07 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(06-16-2021 03:28 PM)micahandme Wrote:  One thing I forgot...currently the Big 12 is tied to the Sugar.

I can see the Pac-12 and Big Ten saying...we don't care if we have two teams who are get first-round byes, we want them playing in the Rose.

I do not see the Big 12 aligning itself with the Sugar like that. It's history is too short. Maybe the Big 12 would bounce to the Fiesta? Or, does the Cotton Bowl get roped in as the other New Year's Day quarterfinal bowl?

It will be interesting. I have the feeling that all the bowls will agree on a rotation, including the Rose Bowl.

The Cotton Bowl has much more history than the Fiesta and especially the Peach Bowl so if there is some sort of permanent NYD quarterfinals it would make sense for the Cotton to be a part of that.
06-16-2021 05:38 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
It sounds like the bracket won’t be adjusted for the bowls, but bowls may have dibs on certain (potential) Quarterfinals. I could even see bringing back a BCS-type rule where bowls pick in a pre-determined order.

I also anticipate 2 current NY6 bowls rotating into Semifinal slots. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if all 6 (including the Rose) join the rotation. BUT, I could see the addition of 2 bowls for teams 13-16 and these bowls may or may not have access to the QF and/or SF rotation.
06-16-2021 05:43 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I am curious what the 4 losers of the first round will want to do. Would they still want to go a bowl? If so, will there be 2 dedicated NY6-type bowls for the 4 losers? Or would they fill one of their conference bowl tie-in spots, which would put all the other bowl slots on hold.

Or would they just say thanks but no thanks, we are going to stay home for the holidays?
06-16-2021 06:09 PM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

Another related question I have...

Will first-round winners be individually placed into their "New Year's Day Quarterfinal" matchups...or will teams know in advance where the winner of the first round game will go?

For example, in the above example, I placed #11 FSU over #6 Michigan because that's the way it actually played out that year in the real bowl game. But if Michigan wins that game, as the #6 seed, they'd be slated for #3 Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

Bama would then get #9 USC, and Clemson gets #7 OU.

NCAA basketball would tell us that match-ups would be pre-determined BEFORE the first round games actually take place.
06-16-2021 06:17 PM
Advertisement

GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(06-16-2021 06:09 PM)goofus Wrote:  I am curious what the 4 losers of the first round will want to do. Would they still want to go a bowl? If so, will there be 2 dedicated NY6-type bowls for the 4 losers? Or would they fill one of their conference bowl tie-in spots, which would put all the other bowl slots on hold.

Or would they just say thanks but no thanks, we are going to stay home for the holidays?

I’ll keep beating this drum, but I’d like to see the season moved up a week, 1st round 2 weeks after Conference Champions Week (2nd weekend in December), quarterfinals the next week on campuses, 8 eliminated teams go to an NY6 bowl with the 4 semi-finalists, which would rotate as done currently, then the championship game the same date as currently or moved up to Saturday evening (doesn’t look like there’s any NFL games on Saturday Week 18).
06-16-2021 06:20 PM
clpp01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arizona
[quote='micahandme' pid='17469289' dateline='1623872809']
I've read a fair bit, but I haven't seen these details parsed out much.

It's assumed that the NY6 will become the carriers of the neutral site quarterfinals and playoffs for the new system.

Will they try to keep traditional affiliation? A big question. Let's assume yes. Allow the bye teams to begin travel arrangements ASAP.

Then, how will they match up teams from the "first round" with those bye teams?/quote]

Best guess is that they would follow the same set up that they have now. In the quarter finals the teams ranked 1-3 will pick their preferred venue of choice and the 4th seed team gets whichever bowl is left and in the semi finals the highest seeded team remaining gets to pick which venue for that round.

So using your 2016 scenario the semis that season were the Peach/Fiesta

Opening round would be
Western Michigan (#6 Champion) @ Ohio St (ranked #3 but not a conference champ)
Florida St @ Michigan
Colorado @ Oklahoma
USC @ Wisconsin

Quarterfinals
Alabama vs Wisconsin - Bama would pick the Sugar
Clemson vs Oklahoma - Clemson would pick the Orange
Washington vs Michigan - Washington would pick the Rose
Penn St vs Ohio St - Penn State would be left with the Cotton.

Semi finals:
Bama vs Penn St - Bama picks the Peach
Clemson vs Washington - Clemson is left with the Fiesta

Not a perfect example as the committee would almost certainly have ranked teams differently had they been using a 12 team playoff format instead of a 4 team.
06-16-2021 06:27 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(06-16-2021 05:38 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 03:28 PM)micahandme Wrote:  One thing I forgot...currently the Big 12 is tied to the Sugar.

It will be interesting. I have the feeling that all the bowls will agree on a rotation, including the Rose Bowl.

The Cotton Bowl has much more history than the Fiesta and especially the Peach Bowl so if there is some sort of permanent NYD quarterfinals it would make sense for the Cotton to be a part of that.

I think the Cotton could replace Fiesta if they go down to just 4 bowls. Part of the decision for the Big 12 placing their champ in the first place was to pick a “neutral” bowl when the SWC schools combined with the Big 8. The Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl stadiums were also old and dated at the time—today both of those games are played in modern stadiums.

6 of the 10 Big 12 schools, including the Sooners and Horns, would back the move for sure and that ought to be enough momentum to get the others behind.

The Fiesta Bowl also had a bit of a political scandal a while ago that I think tarnished their reputation a bit.

The Peach, Fiesta, and Cotton would form a tier for the best schools left out of the play off.
06-16-2021 06:32 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Muskie: what was the Fiesta scandal?
06-16-2021 07:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.