Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top Sun Belt Football Rivalries
Bookmark and Share
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
Top Sun Belt Football Rivalries
I'm sure this has been done before on here, but I'm not going to dig up old threads.

My opinion:

1) App State vs. Ga. Southern
2) Arkansas State vs. Louisiana
3) South Alabama vs. Troy
4) Ga. Southern vs. Ga. State
5) Louisiana vs. ULM
6) App State vs. Louisiana
7) App State vs. Arkansas State
8) App State vs. Coastal
9) Coastal vs. Louisiana
10) Arkansas State vs. Texas State

Honorable Mentions:

App State vs. Troy
Arkansas State vs. Troy
Louisiana vs. Texas State

Yes, I have an App State bias here, which is why I want to hear others' perspectives.
05-27-2021 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Demoralizer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgia Souther
RE: Top Sun Belt Football Rivalries
After the whole "Jamey Chadwell was turned down in favor of Tyson Summers" debacle and Chadwell's ensuing disdain for Southern, combined with the last few matchups, I'd say GS and Coastal are somewhere on this list. Not towards the top, but maybe an honorable mention.
05-27-2021 11:49 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
We’re lucky that our conference has so many fans that care and rivalries built into that passion. The only school I feel bad for is TXST.

In football, App/GS, UL/StAte, and Troy/USA are probably the top three marquee matchups. App/UL is also one that I think both fan bases really care about now.
05-27-2021 12:11 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(05-27-2021 11:36 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  I'm sure this has been done before on here, but I'm not going to dig up old threads.

My opinion:

5) Louisiana vs. ULM
8) App State vs. Coastal
9) Coastal vs. Louisiana

Honorable Mentions:

App State vs. Troy
Arkansas State vs. Troy

Yes, I have an App State bias here, which is why I want to hear others' perspectives.

I appreciate you reaching for us but I don't think any of us consider stAte a rival. Same for UL, especially considering not only have they dominated our series but the games haven't even been competitive outside of the last one.
05-27-2021 12:34 PM
Michael in Raleigh Online
All American

I Root For: App State
(05-27-2021 12:11 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  We’re lucky that our conference has so many fans that care and rivalries built into that passion. The only school I feel bad for is TXST.

In football, App/GS, UL/StAte, and Troy/USA are probably the top three marquee matchups. App/UL is also one that I think both fan bases really care about now.

Agreed with all of the above.

Regarding the bolded part, I think the same can be said, for the most part, of the MAC, AAC, and MW. Many of those schools have been playing each other for a long time, even if past games were in other conferences.

Where we are really fortunate, as Sun Belt fans, is that we haven't all been together particularly long, yet there are a lot of good games each fanbase looks forward to.

C-USA's current composition has been together for roughly the same period as the Sun Belt's current composition (5 holdovers pre-2012 vs. the Sun Belt's 4 holdovers pre-2012), but their 14 members seem to have fewer total real rivalries than the Sun Belt's 10.

C-USA fans can correct me if I'm off base, but these are the only rivalries I can think of:

FAU-FIU
Marshall-WKU
MTSU-WKU
Marshall-Southern Miss
La. Tech-Southern Miss
Southern Miss-UAB
North Texas-UTSA

Are there ANY others?
05-27-2021 01:01 PM
Advertisement

UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
(05-27-2021 01:01 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(05-27-2021 12:11 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  We’re lucky that our conference has so many fans that care and rivalries built into that passion. The only school I feel bad for is TXST.

Regarding the bolded part, I think the same can be said, for the most part, of the MAC, AAC, and MW. Many of those schools have been playing each other for a long time, even if past games were in other conferences.

Where we are really fortunate, as Sun Belt fans, is that we haven't all been together particularly long, yet there are a lot of good games each fanbase looks forward to.

C-USA's current composition has been together for roughly the same period as the Sun Belt's current composition (5 holdovers pre-2012 vs. the Sun Belt's 4 holdovers pre-2012), but their 14 members seem to have fewer total real rivalries than the Sun Belt's 10.

C-USA fans can correct me if I'm off base, but these are the only rivalries I can think of:

FAU-FIU
Marshall-WKU
MTSU-WKU
Marshall-Southern Miss
La. Tech-Southern Miss
Southern Miss-UAB
North Texas-UTSA

Are there ANY others?

UAB vs La Tech in both football and basketball.
05-27-2021 01:25 PM
T2003 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy & Auburn
(05-27-2021 11:36 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  I'm sure this has been done before on here, but I'm not going to dig up old threads.

My opinion:

5) Louisiana vs. ULM
8) App State vs. Coastal
9) Coastal vs. Louisiana

Honorable Mentions:

App State vs. Troy
Arkansas State vs. Troy

Somehow, I always want to beat Ark State, it’s more important than beating South. The Troy / South “rivalry” isn’t a real rivalry yet...UAB is still our most hated in-state rival.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2021 03:11 PM by T2003.)
05-27-2021 03:11 PM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
If we were in the same conference it’d be USM or UAB. In the SBC it’s Troy - but the Louisiana rivalry could really take off if we were both good in football. It’s been heated in other sports over the years.
05-27-2021 05:46 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(05-27-2021 01:01 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

FAU-FIU
Marshall-WKU
MTSU-WKU
Marshall-Southern Miss
La. Tech-Southern Miss
Southern Miss-UAB
North Texas-UTSA

Are there ANY others?

Marshall-FAU has grown quite a bit despite our being (7-1 against them)
UTSA-LaTech is growing as is UNT-LaTech

And then there’s Charlotte-ODU
05-27-2021 06:03 PM
Advertisement

Rik Flair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stAte
(05-27-2021 03:11 PM)T2003 Wrote:  

My opinion:

5) Louisiana vs. ULM
8) App State vs. Coastal
9) Coastal vs. Louisiana

Honorable Mentions:

App State vs. Troy
Arkansas State vs. Troy

Somehow, I always want to beat Ark State, it’s more important than beating South. The Troy / South “rivalry” isn’t a real rivalry yet...UAB is still our most hated in-state rival.

stAte v Troy is a pretty good rivalry. UL is our biggest, then Troy and probably ULM because of how close they are. Others are growing
05-28-2021 07:41 AM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
ULM and Arkansas St. I would say have a friendly rivalry, but can’t be much of a rivalry when we haven’t won a game in over a decade against you.
05-28-2021 07:54 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I'd definitely say the Troy/USA rivalry has grown fast over the years.

If I'm not mistaken, it's been the highest attended SBC game on average? I also believe the 30,837 attendance in 2016 between Troy/USA is the highest attended SBC game. Correct me if wrong.
05-28-2021 08:06 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(05-27-2021 12:34 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

My opinion:

5) Louisiana vs. ULM
8) App State vs. Coastal
9) Coastal vs. Louisiana

Honorable Mentions:

App State vs. Troy
Arkansas State vs. Troy

I appreciate you reaching for us but I don't think any of us consider stAte a rival. Same for UL, especially considering not only have they dominated our series but the games haven't even been competitive outside of the last one.

If I had to pick one I would pick UL over stAte. Just need to beat them now.
05-28-2021 08:19 AM
Advertisement

kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

(05-28-2021 08:06 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I'd definitely say the Troy/USA rivalry has grown fast over the years.

If I'm not mistaken, it's been the highest attended SBC game on average? I also believe the 30,837 attendance in 2016 between Troy/USA is the highest attended SBC game. Correct me if wrong.

Troy fans travel well to Mobile. I think one of the endzones at Ladd was full of Troy fans. They got loud in that 4th quarter. We will welcome you in HWS in 2022 with no restrictions, aren't we playing you guys in Troy this year?

It's good that we have some rivalries that predate Sunbelt in our conference. I think playing nearly everyone every year helps builds rivalries and familiarity in the conference. It's just going to keep getting better.
05-28-2021 09:32 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

My opinion:

5) Louisiana vs. ULM
8) App State vs. Coastal
9) Coastal vs. Louisiana

Honorable Mentions:

App State vs. Troy
Arkansas State vs. Troy

Unfortunately I think any semblance of a Troy UAB rivalry will be dead by the time play again. 14 years is too long. I would love for USA Troy and UAB to play every year like the Florida schools used to. Alternate home games so the years UAB plays at Troy they play at South who plays at UAB. That way we each have an instate home game every season.
05-28-2021 12:40 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-28-2021 12:40 PM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

My opinion:

5) Louisiana vs. ULM
8) App State vs. Coastal
9) Coastal vs. Louisiana

Honorable Mentions:

App State vs. Troy
Arkansas State vs. Troy

Unfortunately I think any semblance of a Troy UAB rivalry will be dead by the time play again. 14 years is too long. I would love for USA Troy and UAB to play every year like the Florida schools used to. Alternate home games so the years UAB plays at Troy they play at South who plays at UAB. That way we each have an instate home game every season.

As much as I’d like to have UAb on schedule each year, I’d rather have USM. I think a USM-USA has bigger potential then a UAb-USA football rivalry, but honestly I’ll take either of those schools on our schedule every year.
05-28-2021 01:10 PM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

(05-28-2021 01:10 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(05-28-2021 12:40 PM)UAB Schnauzer Wrote:  

My opinion:

5) Louisiana vs. ULM
8) App State vs. Coastal
9) Coastal vs. Louisiana

Honorable Mentions:

App State vs. Troy
Arkansas State vs. Troy

As much as I’d like to have UAb on schedule each year, I’d rather have USM. I think a USM-USA has bigger potential then a UAb-USA football rivalry, but honestly I’ll take either of those schools on our schedule every year.

Mississippi Southern makes more sense as a rivalry for South. I was remembering how great it used to be when Florida, Miami, and Florida State used to play every year. Plus you can win against Mississippi Southern and that won’t happen when you play UAB
05-28-2021 02:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.