Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Grissom to the transfer portal
Bookmark and Share
vannzee Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
Grissom to the transfer portal
Jairus Grissom has entered the transfer portal per 24/7.
02-23-2021 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

alum93 Offline
2nd String

RE: Grissom to the transfer portal
(02-23-2021 05:32 PM)vannzee Wrote:  Jairus Grissom has entered the transfer portal per 24/7.

Not surprised. Underutilized.
02-23-2021 06:20 PM
Huron Boy Offline
2nd String

Underutilized is an understatement. In some ways CC's biggest disappointment - just could not find a way to use this guy.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021 07:34 PM by Huron Boy.)
02-23-2021 07:33 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(02-23-2021 07:33 PM)Huron Boy Wrote:  Underutilized is an understatement. In some ways CC's biggest disappointment - just could not find a way to use this guy.

I noticed something about our recruiting.

according to 247 (so take that with a grain of salt) our best ALL-TIME recruits are as follows:
1. Roback (13)
2. Melvin Swindle (21)
3. CJ Parks (20)
4. Juwan Lewis (12)
5. Pudge Cotton (11)
6. Branham (19)
7. Carter Evans (21)
8. Donivan Wright (20)
9. Grisson (17)
10. Canty (13)

Parks, Branham, Grisson, and Wright were recruited by CC and either didnt even suit up or never made much of an impact. On one hand that says something for his ability to identify and develop talent further down the roster but i'd like to see him hit some of these guys out of the park yknow?
02-24-2021 06:51 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(02-24-2021 06:51 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(02-23-2021 07:33 PM)Huron Boy Wrote:  Underutilized is an understatement. In some ways CC's biggest disappointment - just could not find a way to use this guy.

according to 247 (so take that with a grain of salt) our best ALL-TIME recruits are as follows:
1. Roback (13)
2. Melvin Swindle (21)
3. CJ Parks (20)
4. Juwan Lewis (12)
5. Pudge Cotton (11)
6. Branham (19)
7. Carter Evans (21)
8. Donivan Wright (20)
9. Grisson (17)
10. Canty (13)

Parks, Branham, Grisson, and Wright were recruited by CC and either didnt even suit up or never made much of an impact. On one hand that says something for his ability to identify and develop talent further down the roster but i'd like to see him hit some of these guys out of the park yknow?

I am sure some may have left for academic or other reasons. Talent is not the only criteria on CC teams.
02-24-2021 07:24 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

And most of the guys who transfer out do what at the new schools they go to?
02-24-2021 07:26 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(02-24-2021 07:26 AM)emu79 Wrote:  And most of the guys who transfer out do what at the new schools they go to?

the 4 i highlighted don't do anything at the new schools (if they even have them). for me its all about resource management. retention and development are important at all levels.
02-24-2021 07:57 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
BTW, let me toss my feeling on transfers here:

I would give players a one-time pass after their 2nd year of athletic eligibility. Why?

This is the time players (and students) attending JUCOs transfer. If I attended say Wayne State and decided I wanted a different environment (say EMU), then after two years is the perfect time to transfer.

No student should be transferring say 3 years into a 4-year degree.

After 2 years a D-I player should know his fit at his school. If he feels he isn't going to actualize his abilities then he could/should transfer.

This is especially good for players who aren't seeing PT, then transferring to a lesser level of competition is appropriate.

Maybe don't like the coach staff, then one free get out of jail card.

The idea is to avoid what we are seeing in h.s. hoops where a player transfers to from one school system to another, then another, and then a prep program. That sounds worse than the NBA G-league.

And I might add that one GOAL might be for the student athlete to develop ROOTS with his team, university and community. The idea of a lot of transferring basically turns a student athlete into a quasi pro athlete.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 08:35 AM by emu steve.)
02-24-2021 08:15 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(02-24-2021 08:15 AM)emu steve Wrote:  BTW, let me toss my feeling on transfers here:

I would give players a one-time pass after their 2nd year of athletic eligibility. Why?

This is the time players (and students) attending JUCOs transfer. If I attended say Wayne State and decided I wanted a different environment (say EMU), then after two years is the perfect time to transfer.

No student should be transferring say 3 years into a 4-year degree.

After 2 years a D-I player should know his fit at his school. If he feels he isn't going to actualize his abilities then he could/should transfer.

This is especially good for players who aren't seeing PT, then transferring to a lesser level of competition is appropiate.

Maybe don't like the coach staff, then one free get out of jail card.

The idea is to avoid what we are seeing in h.s. hoops where a player transfers to from one school system to another, then another, and then a prep program. That sounds worse than the NBA G-league.

I broadly agree with most of those ideas. I think the big thing for me is that the system as it's currently constructed is deeply unjust for players.
02-24-2021 08:34 AM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
Not every recruit obviously works out! But losing Q Williams, and J Grissom really hurt talent wise! Both are P5 athletes! Grissom could play up the street! CC never played him for some reason! This is CC make it or break season period! Very easy OOC schedule! Have to finish 8-4! 8th season, absolutely ZERO excuses!
02-24-2021 08:48 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2021 08:48 AM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  Not every recruit obviously works out! But losing Q Williams, and J Grissom really hurt talent wise! Both are P5 athletes! Grissom could play up the street! CC never played him for some reason! This is CC make it or break season period! Very easy OOC schedule! Have to finish 8-4! 8th season, abs
olutely ZERO excuses!
Next man up. We have incomplete information about what happens behind the scenes remember that.
02-24-2021 08:57 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-24-2021 08:57 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 08:48 AM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  Not every recruit obviously works out! But losing Q Williams, and J Grissom really hurt talent wise! Both are P5 athletes! Grissom could play up the street! CC never played him for some reason! This is CC make it or break season period! Very easy OOC schedule! Have to finish 8-4! 8th season, abs
olutely ZERO excuses!
Next man up. We have incomplete information about what happens behind the scenes remember that.

And, as you know, '79, C.C. is noted for giving each player, scholarship or PWO, a fair chance to make 2-deeps.

As far as Grissom, he has the talent but doesn't have a position. Kind of a jack of all trades but master of none.

Is he a MAC starting QB? Probably not.

A starting MAC WR? Probably not.

A starting MAC RB? ...
02-24-2021 09:07 AM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(02-24-2021 09:07 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
olutely ZERO excuses!

And, as you know, '79, C.C. is noted for giving each player, scholarship or PWO, a fair chance to make 2-deeps.

As far as Grissom, he has the talent but doesn't have a position. Kind of a jack of all trades but master of none.

A starting MAC RB? ...
I agree with both of your responses, but MAC schools typically out of high school, don't get kids with 24 D1 offers usually! Many P5 offers! Physically Grissom is an absolute stud! When he actually got the ball on a jet sweep he was electric! He literally played 5-7 snaps a game! Instead we ran our QB 15 times a game! Does that make sense? CC makes the decisions and was calling the plays! I sure hope Grissom doesn't end up being a star somewhere else! Has all the tools.........6'3" 215, athletic as can be, and speed to burn..........this transfer makes sense for Grissom though! Best of luck!
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 12:03 PM by EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's.)
02-24-2021 12:02 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I mean some guys on this board went ganga on Dieuly Aristilde Mackey and Grissom. Super stardom was predicted. In a lot cases some of these players who left haven't been burning up the charts were they landed. I wish those who leave the program the best of luck at their new schools.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 12:52 PM by emu79.)
02-24-2021 12:51 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2021 12:02 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 09:07 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
olutely ZERO excuses!

A starting MAC RB? ...
I agree with both of your responses, but MAC schools typically out of high school, don't get kids with 24 D1 offers usually! Many P5 offers! Physically Grissom is an absolute stud! When he actually got the ball on a jet sweep he was electric! He literally played 5-7 snaps a game! Instead we ran our QB 15 times a game! Does that make sense? CC makes the decisions and was calling the plays! I sure hope Grissom doesn't end up being a star somewhere else! Has all the tools.........6'3" 215, athletic as can be, and speed to burn..........this transfer makes sense for Grissom though! Best of luck!

I think Hutchison earned all of his snaps. He didn't have any P5 offers. Neither did Glass. I take either one at QB over Grissom
02-24-2021 12:54 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-24-2021 12:51 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I mean some guys on this board went ganga on Dieuly Aristilde Mackey and Grissom. Super stardom was predicted. In a lot cases some of these players who left haven't been burning up the charts were they landed. I wish those who leave the program the best of luck at their new schools.

I understand the staff was not sad to see Aristilde leave. We remember the dumb penalty on the TD run, but there was more (I don't know the details, though).
02-24-2021 01:03 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2021 01:03 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 12:51 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I mean some guys on this board went ganga on Dieuly Aristilde Mackey and Grissom. Super stardom was predicted. In a lot cases some of these players who left haven't been burning up the charts were they landed. I wish those who leave the program the best of luck at their new schools.

I understand the staff was not sad to see Aristilde leave. We remember the dumb penalty on the TD run, but there was more (I don't know the details, though).

Ditto Kilby
02-24-2021 01:14 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-24-2021 01:14 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 01:03 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Ditto Kilby

Yep. Think there were issues there as well.
02-24-2021 03:49 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(02-24-2021 07:24 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 06:51 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

1. Roback (13)
2. Melvin Swindle (21)
3. CJ Parks (20)
4. Juwan Lewis (12)
5. Pudge Cotton (11)
6. Branham (19)
7. Carter Evans (21)
8. Donivan Wright (20)
9. Grisson (17)
10. Canty (13)

I am sure some may have left for academic or other reasons. Talent is not the only criteria on CC teams.

Conflicted with this one.....I was leading the parade with Grissom getting more playing time the last 2 years but after this 6 game season, I may have changed my tune. He rarely saw the field and I didnt miss him. I always thought he was a difference maker but if he cant get on the field, there must have been a reason why. Hard to believe CC would be sitting on a diamond and not use him. I wish him the best, but if you dont want to be a part of this offense next season, then good luck. I think we are loaded offensively with Drummond, Beydoun, Tanner, the entire O-line, RB's and Cannon.
02-24-2021 08:46 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Good luck to him. Doesn’t affect the team at all.
02-24-2021 10:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.