Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Details on that "other conference"'s new media deal
schmolik Online
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Details on that "other conference"'s new media deal
I know most of you aren't too fond of the Big Ten here. I'm not sure how you feel about this other conference Big Ten people don't like very much but you might be aware of their media deal.

https://www.secsports.com/article/304915...-agreement

It sounds like the "SEC Game of the Week" will move to ABC and that slot will be off limits to the ACC (and Big Ten) starting in the 2024 season. Unfortunately the ACC has no recourse as they are stuck with their ESPN deal until the 2036-37 season and unless there are other changes might be stuck with their #1 games demoted to ESPN. I probably would rather see the Big Ten move their #1 games to FOX or CBS full time not wanting them stuck on ESPN either (and if it helps the ACC by clearing space for you to get more ABC games, it's a bonus for you).

Speaking of ABC, the details say the SEC is going to get some men's basketball games on ABC once the deal starts. It makes you wonder why can't the ACC get games on ABC (or at least relevant games?) How about the ACC Championship on Saturday (move it to 6pm ET leading into an NBA primetime game or 4pm if the local stations don't want to lose their news)? How about Duke/North Carolina games on ABC? Do you really want an inferior basketball conference to have more OTA exposure than the ACC? If the SEC gets to have basketball games on ABC, the ACC should definitely as well.
12-10-2020 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Details on that "other conference"'s new media deal
TV money continues to damage college sports and will eventually destroy it.
12-10-2020 08:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(12-10-2020 06:26 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I know most of you aren't too fond of the Big Ten here. I'm not sure how you feel about this other conference Big Ten people don't like very much but you might be aware of their media deal.

It sounds like the "SEC Game of the Week" will move to ABC and that slot will be off limits to the ACC (and Big Ten) starting in the 2024 season. Unfortunately the ACC has no recourse as they are stuck with their ESPN deal until the 2036-37 season and unless there are other changes might be stuck with their #1 games demoted to ESPN. I probably would rather see the Big Ten move their #1 games to FOX or CBS full time not wanting them stuck on ESPN either (and if it helps the ACC by clearing space for you to get more ABC games, it's a bonus for you).

Speaking of ABC, the details say the SEC is going to get some men's basketball games on ABC once the deal starts. It makes you wonder why can't the ACC get games on ABC (or at least relevant games?) How about the ACC Championship on Saturday (move it to 6pm ET leading into an NBA primetime game or 4pm if the local stations don't want to lose their news)? How about Duke/North Carolina games on ABC? Do you really want an inferior basketball conference to have more OTA exposure than the ACC? If the SEC gets to have basketball games on ABC, the ACC should definitely as well.

It won't be inferior for long.
12-10-2020 11:57 PM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(12-10-2020 11:57 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 06:26 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I know most of you aren't too fond of the Big Ten here. I'm not sure how you feel about this other conference Big Ten people don't like very much but you might be aware of their media deal.

It has always been UK and everyone else. Yes, UF stepped up and out of the shadow of UK for a little while. Arkansas have not managed to hold onto Nolan Richardson glory days. LSU has mostly been irrelevant, same with Vandy and Mizzou. GA, well is GA. Same can be said for Bama, Miss St and Miss. Buzz might get A&M some shine but more likely a good team every once in a while. Barnes has Tenn respectable but that is a once in awhile program. Auburn is one scandal away from being irrelevant once again. Maybe not as inferior but inferior none the less. As UK goes.... goes the SEC.
12-11-2020 10:04 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-11-2020 10:04 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 11:57 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

It has always been UK and everyone else. Yes, UF stepped up and out of the shadow of UK for a little while. Arkansas have not managed to hold onto Nolan Richardson glory days. LSU has mostly been irrelevant, same with Vandy and Mizzou. GA, well is GA. Same can be said for Bama, Miss St and Miss. Buzz might get A&M some shine but more likely a good team every once in a while. Barnes has Tenn respectable but that is a once in awhile program. Auburn is one scandal away from being irrelevant once again. Maybe not as inferior but inferior none the less. As UK goes.... goes the SEC.

It is true that the SEC is up and down in hoops, but we are trending more up than down, including an Auburn route of the Tar Heels and a missed double dribble and touch foul call away from eliminating Virginia in their championship year. So say what you wish and continue in denial, the SEC isn't investing more in football, it is investing it in basketball, building up baseball which it is quite deep in, and the trajectory is up. How's the trajectory for what was once the top of the ACC hoops? What is trending in the ACC is the improvement of hoops for football first schools. Could this be because their stadia and alums are earning and giving more on football Saturdays? Could be. You better be paying attention to this trend. It is a fact of life that is slowly altering the power structure in basketball.
12-11-2020 02:38 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Perhaps we see Rick Pitino, Larry Eustachy, and other clean cut gentlemen resurrect their careers in the much forgiving SEC as well.

Where can UNC and Duke go when they're the Pinnacle? Virginia and Louisville* recently won titles. Syracuse needs a new coach (sorry, Orangemen), and I believe Pitt and Wake have solid coaches for the future.

Clemson is obviously investing and I'd take them over the majority of the SEC this year. Florida State looks great, Miami is quite competitive. These are not what most people would think of as "basketball schools".

If somebody actually believes 14 SEC basketball teams are going to be perennial top-25 teams year in and out, they're delusional.
12-11-2020 03:30 PM
Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
The blue bloods rule their conferences and intermittent conference championships by "football" first schools is not a sign of doom for these programs. Is there more parity? Yes. Does it mean these programs have something to fear? Don't think so. Let's give FSU the 2020 championship. ND won in 2015, Miami in 2013, FSU in 2012. You have to go back to 2004 (Maryland) where a champion wasn't won by UNC, Duke and UVa (2018, 2014). 95 and 96 Wake and 93 by GaTech.

SEC Tourney Champ: 2019 Auburn, 2015-2018 UK, 2014 UF, 2013 Ole Miss, 2012 Vandy, 2011-2012 UK, 2009 MissSt, 2008 UGa, 2005 - 2007 UF, 2003-2004 UK, 2002 Miss St, 2001 UK, 2000 Ark, 97-98 UK, 96 Miss St, 92-95 UK, 91 Bama.

Big 12 Tourney Champ: 2019 ISU, 2018 KU, 2017 ISU, 2016 KU, 2014-2015 ISU, 2013 KU, 2012 Mizzou, 2010-2011 KU,
2009 Mizzou, 2006-2008 KU, 2004-2005 OSU, 2001-2003 OU, 2000 ISU, 97-99 KU

Pac Tourney Champ: 2019 Ore, 2018-2019 Zona, 2016 Ore, 2015 Zona, 2014 UCLA, 2013 Ore, 2012 Colo, 2010-2011 UW, 2009 USC, 2008 UCLA, 2007 Ore, 2006 UCLA, 2005 UW, 2004 Stanford, 2003 Ore, 88-90 Zona, 87 UCLA

Big Tourney Champ: 2019 MSU, 2017-2018 UM, 2016 MSU, 2015 Wis, 2014 MSU, 2013 OSU, 2012 MSU, 2010-2011 OSU, 2009 PU, 2008 Wis, 2007 OSU, 2006 Iowa, 2005 Ill, 2004 Wis, 2003 Ill, 2002 OSU, 2001 Iowa, 1999 - 2000 MSU, 1998 UM

Not really seeing a trend where "football first" schools are challenging for conference and national championships versus the elites of each conference. I guess a case can be made for Oregon versus Zona and UCLA. The Big is the exception. The SEC, aside from UF, UK has dominated the majority of the time and the championship still runs through them. KU rules over Big 12 bball. UNC and Duke for the ACC. Maybe I am not seeing what you are seeing.
12-11-2020 04:47 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I won’t lose any sleep worrying about SEC basketball. I’ve spent the last 50 plus years listening to UK fans brag about SEC basketball. I simply point out that the SEC Tournament couldn’t sell out in Tampa with Florida as defending National Champion. Or name the last NCAA basketball champion from The SEC, not named Kentucky. (Florida and Arkansas)

Basketball has always been upon and down in the SEC.

Today’s SEC might have Bruce Pearl down on the Plains in Auburn but he ain’t Sonny Smith. I’m not sure who is coaching in Tuscaloosa but I know it’s not Wimp Sanderson. Those plaid jackets were dreadful. Tennessee is still looking for a coach as good as Don Devoe. Thompson - Boling Arena was built because of Devoe’s success not Pat Summits. Nolan Richardson and his “40 minutes of Hell” was the high water mark of Arkansas basketball. Dale Brown at LSU was a showman.

SEC basketball has had success, just not consistently anywhere but Kentucky. Billy Donovan, got it done a couple of times in Gainesville.

The truth is even Kentucky is struggling to remain at a high level. Cal has had 37 All Americans during his time at UK. Those 37 burger boys have yielded a lot of wins, a lot of lottery picks but only 1 Championship.

The SEC may improve. I doubt it ever surpasses The ACC or even The Big East.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2020 07:45 PM by CardinalJim.)
12-11-2020 07:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.