RE: WMU game
Wow
11-22-2020 10:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigChilla Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(11-22-2020 10:37 PM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  NIU opens at -18.
Seems about right.

With this many freshman I would like to see them keep it within 10.

No moral victories - but signs of growth are welcome.
11-22-2020 10:41 PM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
NIU -18 a few years ago...??? A legit line is WMU -30. They have NFL talent at WRs, the over under line should be when will they pull their starters.
11-23-2020 03:23 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(11-23-2020 03:23 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  NIU -18 a few years ago...??? A legit line is WMU -30. They have NFL talent at WRs, the over under line should be when will they pull their starters.

My guess is that they begin pulling their starters in the second quarter. If they were wise, they would completely rest their starters and play their backups. They would then pull their backups for the third stringers in the third or fourth quarter.
11-23-2020 03:28 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-23-2020 03:28 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(11-23-2020 03:23 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  NIU -18 a few years ago...??? A legit line is WMU -30. They have NFL talent at WRs, the over under line should be when will they pull their starters.

My guess is that they begin pulling their starters in the second quarter. If they were wise, they would completely rest their starters and play their backups. They would then pull their backups for the third stringers in the third or fourth quarter.

At least we'll finally find out if their waterboy has an arm.
11-24-2020 08:53 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-24-2020 08:53 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(11-23-2020 03:28 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

At least we'll finally find out if their waterboy has an arm.

He does. And he would be the starting QB for the Huskies. Too bad Hammock has not looked at waterboys while recruiting.
11-24-2020 09:58 AM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

Discussion on the WMU board on the most best, most consistent teams in the MAC over the last 5 years, no talk of NIU. Sad.
11-24-2020 03:13 PM
Uclabruin1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WMU
I am not taking Saturdays game for granted, especially after last years NIU win.
11-24-2020 03:14 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(11-24-2020 03:14 PM)Uclabruin1 Wrote:  I am not taking Saturdays game for granted, especially after last years NIU win.
NIU may, "may", keep it respectable at half, then the wheels will come off.
You should be able to relax in the 3rd quarter when you're up by three TD's.
11-24-2020 03:28 PM
AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

I Root For: Snow Days!
(11-24-2020 03:13 PM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  Discussion on the WMU board on the most best, most consistent teams in the MAC over the last 5 years, no talk of NIU. Sad.

Now, keep it in context...the discussion was specifically about teams that have finished with 7 straight years of .500 or better records starting with the 2014 season. It was not a commentary on NIU, it is simply a listing of statistics.

If anything, I think that you will find most of our posters are generally very complimentary toward NIU. We are always wary when we play you. It doesn't seem to matter if you are up or down, NIU has a knack for handing us an L.

Many of us are still a little gun-shy after last season. We came into Dekalb with everything on the table playing a very wounded NIU team and we walked out with another L.

Trust me when I tell you, no one is taking this game for granted or looks down on your consistency.
11-24-2020 04:38 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-24-2020 04:38 PM)AFLAGWA Wrote:  
(11-24-2020 03:13 PM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  Discussion on the WMU board on the most best, most consistent teams in the MAC over the last 5 years, no talk of NIU. Sad.

Now, keep it in context...the discussion was specifically about teams that have finished with 7 straight years of .500 or better records starting with the 2014 season. It was not a commentary on NIU, it is simply a listing of statistics.

If anything, I think that you will find most of our posters are generally very complimentary toward NIU. We are always wary when we play you. It doesn't seem to matter if you are up or down, NIU has a knack for handing us an L.

Many of us are still a little gun-shy after last season. We came into Dekalb with everything on the table playing a very wounded NIU team and we walked out with another L.

Trust me when I tell you, no one is taking this game for granted or looks down on your consistency.

Trust me on this one. You can enjoy watching the game. Prepare yourself a giant "tailgate" meal of hot dogs (with sauerkraut and grilled onions), burgers, sausage, beans, etc. What the hell, throw in a few eggs as well. Eat it all and wash it down with several beers. You will have a relaxed stomach with no indigestion at all. That's how calm and relaxed you will feel watching the game. Enjoy!
11-24-2020 05:04 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

We are basically 2018 WMU right now. A head coach learning on the fly but recruiting very well. It’s difficult because NIU has no identity now after years of clearly being THE program with a recipe for success. But today’s game is so fluid that inevitably change will come. We are in the Broncos same boat(sorry for the reference). We have good players, but are we good?
11-24-2020 05:35 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
I feel like we're the 2018/19 White Sox. Not a good team but an exciting young player pops up now and again.
11-24-2020 06:33 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-23-2020 03:28 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  My guess is that they begin pulling their starters in the second quarter. If they were wise, they would completely rest their starters and play their backups. They would then pull their backups for the third stringers in the third or fourth quarter.

NIU is on the rise but I don't think that the Broncos should give up that easily. We have a good young team but if they play their starters they might be able to hang with us at least until Q4 when NIU will undoubtably crush them.

Hey I can dream!
11-24-2020 06:56 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

Don't get me wrong, any comment made about NIU was, like you said, pretty respectful. I noted that most of you certainly aren't taking the game for granted.
My comment was in reference to how far NIU has fallen off the map of late, even with that miracle 2018 season. It was a miracle that NIU won the west, and a miracle that NIU won the MACC.

The team has certainly taken a step backward. We are hopeful that this rebuilding and seemingly very good recruiting by Hammock pays off. This is a write off year for NIU. Good riddance to 2020.

You guys went through a rough patch when PJ took over, but he turned things around pretty quick with spectacular results.
11-24-2020 07:14 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(11-24-2020 04:38 PM)AFLAGWA Wrote:  If anything, I think that you will find most of our posters are generally very complimentary toward NIU. We are always wary when we play you. It doesn't seem to matter if you are up or down, NIU has a knack for handing us an L.

That's CMU for us. They always beat us, even when we're good and they suck.
11-24-2020 07:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

(11-24-2020 07:57 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  That's CMU for us. They always beat us, even when we're good and they suck.

As a Bronco through and through, I can tell you without question, that CMU ALWAYS sucks! 02-13-banana
11-24-2020 10:05 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(11-24-2020 03:14 PM)Uclabruin1 Wrote:  I am not taking Saturdays game for granted, especially after last years NIU win.
NIU had a better team last year. This year we have better players but young.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
11-24-2020 11:27 PM
AFLAGWA Offline
1st String

(11-24-2020 11:27 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  
NIU had a better team last year. This year we have better players but young.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By the time we played you at the end of the season, NIU was a shell of its 2019 peak. You were filled with injuries, you had a few key players just opt out of the game, and nothing but pride to play for. In typical NIU/WMU fashion...typical late fall weather in Dekalb, a few weird bounces that went your way, and a Bronco team that thought they won before they even got off the bus...you won. We lost.

But, that was last season...this is now.

I say this in all sincerity and absent boast. A healthy WMU team likely doesn't lose another game on our schedule. Unfortunately for us, we aren't healthy. The games against Toledo and CMU extracted a heavy toll. On the offensive side of the ball, we are down to one and a half of our RB rotation and only two of our five main rotating receivers are close to 100%. Every snap of the ball in shotgun is an adventure. We have a first year center that didn't play in 2019 after being a DEFENSIVE lineman in 2018. Let's just say, you need to expand your strike zone quite a bit if you want to call him "accurate". Additionally, we have a kicker that likes to watch his own kicks. When he watches, he misses.

On the defensive side, we started the CMU game down five starters. Both of our DE were out of the game. We actually were rotating LB's to cover the spot. We will MAYBE have one of them back. Our MAC DPOY is playing with a cast and struggles to tackle. He is also good for at least one PF or unnecessary roughness penalty a game.

I think my point of contention is this...a team with talent can click at any time. You guys have talent. I just would prefer that click not happen until the Toledo game.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020 07:31 AM by AFLAGWA.)
11-25-2020 06:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.