Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
RE: Nebraska players suing the B1G
(08-27-2020 11:40 AM)usffan Wrote:  

Kevin Warren's seat getting warm yet?

USFFan

This will go about as far as the PAC-12 player demands for 40% of the conference revenue before the conference shut down for the fall. 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 03-nutkick 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 05-stirthepot 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2020 11:54 AM by panite.)
08-27-2020 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Finally a movement by players I can get behind!
08-27-2020 12:01 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(08-27-2020 11:40 AM)usffan Wrote:  

Kevin Warren's seat getting warm yet?

USFFan

Epic Applause
08-27-2020 12:04 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
This will be an instant loser in court.

At the same time, these players would be the first ones to sue the university if they ended up contracting COVID-19 if the Big Ten *did* play. I don't believe that the Big Ten commissioner messaged this well at all, but the league should absolutely NOT let the public whining (much of it politically driven) determine their decisions.

As I've noted elsewhere, it would be quite ironic if the Big Ten and Pac-12 end up playing more games in the winter/spring than the 3 P5 leagues that are charging ahead this fall. Generally, it's a good bet to back the institutions that are basing their decisions on safety and science. We'll see who's complaining in a few weeks when it's a fairly good bet that we'll see games start getting cancelled due to outbreaks.
08-27-2020 12:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-27-2020 12:46 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  This will be an instant loser in court.

At the same time, these players would be the first ones to sue the university if they ended up contracting COVID-19 if the Big Ten *did* play. I don't believe that the Big Ten commissioner messaged this well at all, but the league should absolutely NOT let the public whining (much of it politically driven) determine their decisions.

As I've noted elsewhere, it would be quite ironic if the Big Ten and Pac-12 end up playing more games in the winter/spring than the 3 P5 leagues that are charging ahead this fall. Generally, it's a good bet to back the institutions that are basing their decisions on safety and science. We'll see who's complaining in a few weeks when it's a fairly good bet that we'll see games start getting cancelled due to outbreaks.

Well safety and science award goes to the SEC/Big 12/ACC/CUSA/Sun Belt/AAC who are closely monitoring the health of their student/athletes now. They aren't relying on a sloppy heart/corona study.
08-27-2020 12:58 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-27-2020 12:46 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  This will be an instant loser in court.

Yes, but it serves the social function of continuing to highlight the division and ineptitude within the B1G, and to hold its feet to the fire over their premature decision to cancel the season.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2020 12:58 PM by quo vadis.)
08-27-2020 12:58 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
Are the B1G and PAC institutions really basing their decisions on safety and science?

What do safety and science say about the thousands of high school football players and coaches that have already played 2 or 3 games with minimal COVID spread or disruption?

Could it be that one man's safety and science is another man's paranoia and control?
08-27-2020 12:59 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-27-2020 12:58 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Well safety and science award goes to the SEC/Big 12/ACC/CUSA/Sun Belt/AAC who are closely monitoring the health of their student/athletes now. They aren't relying on a sloppy heart/corona study.

Yes, it's ironic that the side that claims the mantle of Science, the cancel side, is actually the side that has acted based on fear of the unknown, incomplete results, unproven what-ifs, etc.
08-27-2020 01:00 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(08-27-2020 01:00 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yes, it's ironic that the side that claims the mantle of Science, the cancel side, is actually the side that has acted based on fear of the unknown, incomplete results, unproven what-ifs, etc.
Amen....
08-27-2020 01:03 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
They could at least consider to make decisions based on reality and the true risk-benefit analysis:

PAC 12 Networks let go of entire digital staff
08-27-2020 01:13 PM
Advertisement

forphase1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
(08-27-2020 12:59 PM)YNot Wrote:  Are the B1G and PAC institutions really basing their decisions on safety and science?

What do safety and science say about the thousands of high school football players and coaches that have already played 2 or 3 games with minimal COVID spread or disruption?

Could it be that one man's safety and science is another man's paranoia and control?

This. All of this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
08-27-2020 02:42 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(08-27-2020 12:59 PM)YNot Wrote:  Are the B1G and PAC institutions really basing their decisions on safety and science?

[Image: giphy.gif]
08-27-2020 02:47 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

They're pretty much not relying on anything if you think about it. They're gonna play regardless....lol. Just throwing caution into the winds and letting the chips fall where they may.
08-27-2020 03:16 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

I'm sorry, but this seems pretty similar to the huffing and puffing of how well places like Florida and Texas supposedly managed to hold cases down in the spring compared to New York and New Jersey... and then we saw what happened within a couple of months of those states' approaches of thinking that this would magically go away. For all the complaining about economic shutdowns and freedoms, this country would actually be fully open *safely* like other countries in Asia and Europe if all states actually put in the work that they needed to in March and April. And then, a disproportionate amount of the people (not all) complaining about economic shutdowns end up being the same ones complaining about the simple measures like masks and social distancing that actually would allow our economy to start functioning again. Our parents and grandparents dealt with the Great Depression, constant wars and military drafts while people today whine about having to wear a piece of cloth and not being able to watch some kids playing football games. I'm sick of it.

Beyond the macro level issues, if people are just going to deny the outbreaks on college campuses everywhere where these players are actually going to be attending, then they're just being willfully ignorant. The "we're just going to go on as normal and hope that it's going to go away and no one gets seriously ill or dies" approach didn't work in March and it's not going to work now.
08-27-2020 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-27-2020 12:59 PM)YNot Wrote:  What do safety and science say about the thousands of high school football players and coaches that have already played 2 or 3 games with minimal COVID spread or disruption?

Just wait for it. It takes a couple of weeks to determine if there will be an increase in cases. And based off what I have seen in Alabama from the 1st week, Imma go out on a limb and say you'll start seeing an increase in cases with students and players in high school.

Moody Blue Devil football sidelined two games related to Covid-19
Battle of Pritchard postponed due to COVID-19
Coach breaks silence on decision to play high school football in Alabama

excerpt Wrote:“There are no testing policies. Zero,” Rose said. “Of course players want to play. Players want to do a lot of things. It’s the adults that are supposed to be protecting them. It’s our jobs.”

The AHSAA, the state of Alabama and local school districts have failed in that fundamental responsibility when people needed their leadership most of all. High school football without testing is putting families and communities at great risk and, as Rose put it in an editorial for the Auburn-Opelika News, it is “unconscionable.”
08-27-2020 03:25 PM
Advertisement

mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
This is a frivolous lawsuit

1. Players are not professionals. Therefore, they have no business expectations.

2. Players are not party to any contractual obligations between universities and the Big Ten. Additionally their scholarships are being honored, and they are not losing a year of eligibility, so the season postponement does not detrimentally impact their standing with their respective universities.

3. The Big Ten is not a public agency. They do not have to maintain or produce records for public consumption. Nor do they have to adhere to policies of the governing documents if the members agree to waive those policies.

These kids and their parents have no leg to stand on and could find themselves being countersued by the Big Ten for legal fees related to this ridiculous lawsuit.
08-27-2020 03:26 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Frank.....it's refreshing to see someone try to stick up for the B1G especially since the Big Ten has given you so little to work with.
08-27-2020 03:28 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Interesting. How many student-athletes have sued their school or conference arguing that playing football during COVID is unsafe and too dangerous to play?
08-27-2020 03:34 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

And as Frank repeatedly points out, there is a liability concern.

There is also a unionization concern.
08-27-2020 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.