Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rese Davis floats ESPN trial balloon
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Rese Davis floats ESPN trial balloon
Rese, on a SEC pre-season show suggested that this year's scheduling format (10 conference games) is the way to go in the future, calling on all conferences to adopt this years model of the SEC and ACC. Davis claims that it is better for fans and better for TV.
08-17-2020 07:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Rese Davis floats ESPN trial balloon
(08-17-2020 07:41 PM)XLance Wrote:  Rese, on a SEC pre-season show suggested that this year's scheduling format (10 conference games) is the way to go in the future, calling on all conferences to adopt this years model of the SEC and ACC. Davis claims that it is better for fans and better for TV.

Yeah, I watched that and thought the same thing. 12 game P scheduling is coming. 10 conference and 2 OOC. That tacitly creates an upper tier separation. Maybe now people will start to believe that this isn't a push by the P5 it is a corporate push to maximize their ad revenue and content value.

I've even understand that FOX and ESPN have made overtures to the Big 10 and PAC to negotiate their new contracts early so they can "assist" with the losses this year. That's shorthand for spread the loss out over the duration of the contract which means less of a bump going forward. It will be fascinating to see how the PAC and Big 10 respond to this. The PAC is so strapped they might go for it. The Big 10 I'm not so sure.
08-17-2020 07:48 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Not surprising ESPN is advocating what would be good for ESPN. If this was the most profitable business model for P5 schools it would've happened years ago, though.
08-17-2020 07:54 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-17-2020 07:54 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Not surprising ESPN is advocating what would be good for ESPN. If this was the most profitable business model for P5 schools it would've happened years ago, though.

It is the most profitable way. But, only if conference championships determine playoff entrants and not polls, committees, and smoke filled rooms. The buy games have never been as profitable They lag conference games in revenue by 2 to 3 million per game. They were considered necessary because of the beauty pageant approach to selecting the mythical national champions after the bowls by the AP and UPI polls, the beauty pageant of being selected to play in the BCS, and now the beauty pageant of being selected to play in the CFP.

So the Networks will have to give a bit before this happens. Coaches and AD's won't feel safe until all conference champions are guaranteed a slot in the CFP. The compromise will probably be 5 champs and 3 at large with the CFP committee picking the 3 at large.
08-17-2020 08:02 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
I'll believe the ACC/SEC will go to 10 conference games permanently when I see it. I'd be surprised if either went to 9 by the 2030's. If Florida is playing 5 road SEC games every year and at Tallahassee every other year, they'll only play six home games every other year. You think that's going to fly in Gainesville? ESPN better come up with a ton of cash to make up for the missed home game. Maybe the Big Ten could go to 10 home games (Iowa would object but I can't think of any others with a permanent non conference rival). Like it or not, the big schools like home games.
08-17-2020 08:12 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(08-17-2020 08:02 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 07:54 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Not surprising ESPN is advocating what would be good for ESPN. If this was the most profitable business model for P5 schools it would've happened years ago, though.

It is the most profitable way. But, only if conference championships determine playoff entrants and not polls, committees, and smoke filled rooms. The buy games have never been as profitable They lag conference games in revenue by 2 to 3 million per game. They were considered necessary because of the beauty pageant approach to selecting the mythical national champions after the bowls by the AP and UPI polls, the beauty pageant of being selected to play in the BCS, and now the beauty pageant of being selected to play in the CFP.

So the Networks will have to give a bit before this happens. Coaches and AD's won't feel safe until all conference champions are guaranteed a slot in the CFP. The compromise will probably be 5 champs and 3 at large with the CFP committee picking the 3 at large.

Wait, so you're suggesting the buy games played because they help in the national championship race? Not buying that. I do know there's a lot of weaker programs in the P5 that will have trouble getting bowl eligibility without them, though.

And I know the blue bloods of the P5 can get 80k or 100k whether they play an FCS team or another blue blood and they don't have to share that money with the rest of the league.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020 08:21 PM by EigenEagle.)
08-17-2020 08:20 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(08-17-2020 08:20 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

Wait, so you're suggesting the buy games played because they help in the national championship race? Not buying that. I do know there's a lot of weaker programs in the P5 that will have trouble getting bowl eligibility without them, though.

And I know the blue bloods of the P5 can get 80k or 100k whether they play an FCS team or another blue blood and they don't have to share that money with the rest of the league.

It's what you don't know. The cost of a conference ticket in the season ticket book starts around $85 a game. The cost of an FBS school starts around $60 and if somebody plays an FCS think 50 to 55 bucks. That's per ticket in the season book for which the person buying them buys a pair and they donate $800 for the right to buy a pair in the end zone, $1200 for upper decks, and more for lower deck sideline depending upon the yard markets. Attendance at those games is routinely 25,000 fewer than most conference games. So that's $25 bucks per seat x the capacity of the stadium, plus concessions and cushion rentals and souvenirs.

The big boys have always played buy games to job their profile whether for big bowls or the BCS or the CFP. As for the SEC and ACC we play 9 P games already for all but a couple of schools which are cellar dwellers anyway.

The key in the future will be the moving of the Spring Game to mid to late August and played as a preseason game against likely an in state G5 or FBS program, or even FCS, and selling that ticket with the season book for the 7th home game.
08-17-2020 08:34 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(08-17-2020 08:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 08:20 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

It's what you don't know. The cost of a conference ticket in the season ticket book starts around $85 a game. The cost of an FBS school starts around $60 and if somebody plays an FCS think 50 to 55 bucks. That's per ticket in the season book for which the person buying them buys a pair and they donate $800 for the right to buy a pair in the end zone, $1200 for upper decks, and more for lower deck sideline depending upon the yard markets. Attendance at those games is routinely 25,000 fewer than most conference games. So that's $25 bucks per seat x the capacity of the stadium, plus concessions and cushion rentals and souvenirs.

The big boys have always played buy games to job their profile whether for big bowls or the BCS or the CFP. As for the SEC and ACC we play 9 P games already for all but a couple of schools which are cellar dwellers anyway.

The key in the future will be the moving of the Spring Game to mid to late August and played as a preseason game against likely an in state G5 or FBS program, or even FCS, and selling that ticket with the season book for the 7th home game.

You're right. I agree getting a 13th game in the Fall is key to making 10 or more P5 games possible. Maybe this year will help advance that idea.
08-17-2020 08:40 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

This also signals that Notre Dame is now all in with the ACC.
There is a reason that Stanford no longer shows up on the Irish schedule after 2024 and USC after 2026.
08-17-2020 08:45 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(08-17-2020 08:45 PM)XLance Wrote:  This also signals that Notre Dame is now all in with the ACC.
There is a reason that Stanford no longer shows up on the Irish schedule after 2024 and USC after 2026.

[Image: tenor.gif]
Any links to witness our independence meeting it's demise?
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020 08:49 PM by domer1978.)
08-17-2020 08:47 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(08-17-2020 08:47 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  
(08-17-2020 08:45 PM)XLance Wrote:  This also signals that Notre Dame is now all in with the ACC.

https://fbschedules.com/future-college-f...schedules/

ACC

Boston College Eagles
Clemson Tigers
Duke Blue Devils
Florida State Seminoles
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Louisville Cardinals
Miami (FL) Hurricanes
NC State Wolfpack
North Carolina Tar Heels
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Pitt Panthers
Syracuse Orange
Virginia Cavaliers
Virginia Tech Hokies
Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Even the Future Football Schedules website now lists Notre Dame as an ACC member

Don't shoot the messenger!
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020 09:00 PM by XLance.)
08-17-2020 08:59 PM
Advertisement

domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(08-17-2020 08:59 PM)XLance Wrote:  

ACC

Boston College Eagles
Clemson Tigers
Duke Blue Devils
Florida State Seminoles
Louisville Cardinals
Miami (FL) Hurricanes
NC State Wolfpack
North Carolina Tar Heels
Pitt Panthers
Syracuse Orange
Virginia Cavaliers
Virginia Tech Hokies

Even the Future Football Schedules website now lists Notre Dame as an ACC member
I know our schedules. I meant Rece Davis trial balloon.

We are a member of the ACC this season It is 100% correct and I hope we get to play in full. But that doesn't mean we stay longer. In fact if this season cancels we may not get a taste.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020 09:04 PM by domer1978.)
08-17-2020 09:03 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

Your thesis is that ND is going to drop Southern Cal to play ten ACC games?

Lance...really? Are you in the market for any swamp land in Arizona?

Big fail. Try again.

(P.S. The Navy series didn't "show up" on future Irish schedules either, right up until the minute they just renewed the series through 2032)
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020 09:46 PM by TerryD.)
08-17-2020 09:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

ACC

Boston College Eagles
Clemson Tigers
Duke Blue Devils
Florida State Seminoles
Louisville Cardinals
Miami (FL) Hurricanes
NC State Wolfpack
North Carolina Tar Heels
Pitt Panthers
Syracuse Orange
Virginia Cavaliers
Virginia Tech Hokies

Don't shoot the messenger!

An epic closing argument, Lance.

Epic.
08-17-2020 09:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
While I think 10 conference games would give us a better overall product, I still think the biggest roadblock to this is the conference bottom feeders that need 4 OOC games to get to bowl eligibility.
08-17-2020 09:49 PM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(08-17-2020 09:03 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  

ACC

Boston College Eagles
Clemson Tigers
Duke Blue Devils
Florida State Seminoles
Louisville Cardinals
Miami (FL) Hurricanes
NC State Wolfpack
North Carolina Tar Heels
Pitt Panthers
Syracuse Orange
Virginia Cavaliers
Virginia Tech Hokies

I know our schedules. I meant Rece Davis trial balloon.

We are a member of the ACC this season It is 100% correct and I hope we get to play in full. But that doesn't mean we stay longer. In fact if this season cancels we may not get a taste.

If they allow Week Zero play and 13 games it might work, but it would likely limit Clemson, UGA, Florida, Louisville, FSU, SCAR, GT and UK from playing in the high profile, out of conference kickoff games in JerryWorld, Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte and Orlando, as well as regular P5 home and homes, unless they were willing to play 12 power teams and potentially only 6 home games some years. It would, however, work for a division-less 15 team ACC (6 annual opponents, 4 of the other 8 every other year), or with an ACC, SEC or B1G with 14 teams and 2 divisions (6 division games, 1 permanent cross-division opponent, and 3 of the remaining 6 teams in the other division every other year).
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020 09:57 PM by CarlSmithCenter.)
08-17-2020 09:56 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-17-2020 09:49 PM)Chappy Wrote:  While I think 10 conference games would give us a better overall product, I still think the biggest roadblock to this is the conference bottom feeders that need 4 OOC games to get to bowl eligibility.

I think having intersectional games give a better product than all conference.

There's a reason Jerry World and Atlanta can pay schools to play at a neutral site.

I think the best would be 12 team conferences with 8 games paired with one or two other conferences and playing at least 10 P5 games. So a 5-0-3-2 or 5-1-2-2 schedule. All 5 division teams, 0 or 1 cross division every year, and 2 or 3 cross division games against the remainder (so you get them every 3rd year or every other year) and 2 out of conference games against the paired conference teams.

One hypothetical example:
Big 12-SEC pairing.
Arkansas and Missouri move to Big 12.
Big 12 South-Texas, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Arkansas
Big 12 North-Oklahoma, Kansas St., Kansas, Oklahoma St., Iowa St., Missouri
Each would play everyone in division and its opposite every year (Texas-OU, TCU-KSU, etc.) and 2 of the other 5 each year. They would also play 2 games against SEC schools.
SEC West-Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., Alabama, Auburn
SEC East-South Carolina, Florida, Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia
Each would play everyone in division and its opposite every year (A&M-S. Carolina, LSU-Florida, etc.) and 2 of the other 5 each year. They would also play 2 games against Big 12 schools.

Now this pairing makes more sense when the ACC gets thrown in to the grouping with or in place of the Big 12, with all the SEC-ACC matchups.
08-17-2020 10:33 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(08-17-2020 10:33 PM)bullet Wrote:  One hypothetical example:
Big 12-SEC pairing.
Arkansas and Missouri move to Big 12.
Big 12 South-Texas, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Arkansas
Big 12 North-Oklahoma, Kansas St., Kansas, Oklahoma St., Iowa St., Missouri
Each would play everyone in division and its opposite every year (Texas-OU, TCU-KSU, etc.) and 2 of the other 5 each year. They would also play 2 games against SEC schools.
SEC West-Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., Alabama, Auburn
SEC East-South Carolina, Florida, Vandy, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia
Each would play everyone in division and its opposite every year (A&M-S. Carolina, LSU-Florida, etc.) and 2 of the other 5 each year. They would also play 2 games against Big 12 schools.

Taking that one step further:

1. Arkansas, Nebraska and Missouri move to Big 12 (back to 12).
North: Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma St.
South: Arkansas, Baylor, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma

2. West Virginia and Maryland move to ACC (16).
Coastal: BC, Pitt, Louisville, FSU, Miami, Syracuse, VTech, WV
Atlantic: Clemson, Duke, GTech, Maryland, UNC, NC State, Wake, Virginia

3. SEC Returns to 12.
West: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss. St. LSU, Texas A&M
East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vandy

4. Big Ten returns to 12.
West: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Purdue
East: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Penn St., Rutgers

5. Pac-12 stays at 12.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020 11:02 PM by DFW HOYA.)
08-17-2020 11:00 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA

If this happens, you can forget about ever seeing games like Auburn- North Carolina, Alabama-USC, and Georgia-Clemson ever happening again. And games like Florida-Florida State, South Carolina-Clemson, Kentucky-Louisville, and Georgia-Georgia Tech could be in danger of being discontinued.

That is why I am opposed to this happening. I like the way things were pre-Covid.
08-18-2020 01:37 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(08-18-2020 01:37 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  

If this happens, you can forget about ever seeing games like Auburn- North Carolina, Alabama-USC, and Georgia-Clemson ever happening again. And games like Florida-Florida State, South Carolina-Clemson, Kentucky-Louisville, and Georgia-Georgia Tech could be in danger of being discontinued.

That is why I am opposed to this happening. I like the way things were pre-Covid.

Instead of getting those games in the Kickoff Classic format, you would be seeing them in the bowl games.
At last there would be some meaning to the bowl structure (which ESPN also owns).
Even with ten conference games w/ one P5 game mandated would allow Clemson and South Carolina to play annually, as well as Florida/FSU, Louisville/Ky and Ga/Tech.

Sadly things are not going to return to the way they were.
08-18-2020 04:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.