Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Chicago Area School District to Give Minority Students Priority in Returning to Class
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Chicago Area School District to Give Minority Students Priority in Returning to Class
Quote:Coronavirus is making the return to school uncertain for most students across the country, but in one suburban Chicago school district, the superintendent has made it clear that students of color and those considered “marginalized” or “oppressed” will be given priority over everyone else.

The decision was made because the district is not going to require teachers to come back to on-site work, thus, it’s unlikely all students are going to be accommodated.

“We are in a pandemic," Superintendent Devon Horton reportedly said at a roundtable event on Tuesday. “And we also know that everyone is affected by this differently. But there was a pandemic before this. That was inequity and racism, and classism and all of these other things. And so I just want to make sure that as we're making a decision – no decision is going to make everyone happy – we understand that.

“We're trying to support every single child to the best of our ability, and we can't allow a political cash train to take over our decision-making regarding how we return our students to school,” he continued. “We have to make sure that students who've been oppressed, that we don't continue to oppress them and that we give them opportunity.

“I've heard for quite some time that this is a community that's about equity for Black and Brown students, for special education students, for LGBTQ students. We know that this is important work, and we're going to prioritize that.”

According to Deputy Superintendent Latarsha Green, the district will also prioritize students who are struggling academically. She said the prioritized categories include “students receiving free or reduced lunch, Black and Brown students, students who received an I [Incomplete] or less than 50% on their report cards, emerging bilinguals, and students with IEPs."

"There are also other categories in relation to students who are not performing according to reading or math grade-level expectations, and students with no comorbidity factors," she added. [...]

Classes are scheduled to begin with remote learning on Aug. 27, with a potential in-person option beginning Sept. 29. (Fox News)

The Trump administration has been pressuring schools to fully reopen in the fall. The CDC said the "harms attributed to closed schools on the social, emotional, and behavioral health, economic well-being, and academic achievement of children, in both the short- and long-term, are well-known and significant," while at the same time children are "far less likely to suffer" severe symptoms of the virus.

Link

Do these idiots really believe they are solving anything, rather than imbedding racism in our society?
08-07-2020 03:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Chicago Area School District to Give Minority Students Priority in Returning to Class
Makes sense... seeing as poor minorities are less likely to have wifi and more likely to need subsidized meals which were previously being delivered to their homes.
08-07-2020 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Chicago Area School District to Give Minority Students Priority in Returning to Class
Do they believe this passes constitutional muster?

Its not even close.

How much do they want in lawsuits?
08-07-2020 03:48 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
Unequal treatment lawsuit just waiting to be filed.
There are plenty of poor, disadvantaged white children too.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2020 03:50 PM by mptnstr@44.)
08-07-2020 03:50 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-07-2020 03:50 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  Unequal treatment lawsuit just waiting to be filed.
There are plenty of poor, disadvantaged white children too.

Basically this would mean Obama's children would get priority over lower middle class white children.
08-07-2020 03:51 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Well, that seems fair.
08-07-2020 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(08-07-2020 03:30 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Makes sense... seeing as poor minorities are less likely to have wifi and more likely to need subsidized meals which were previously being delivered to their homes.

And why do you think that is so? Hint. Joe Biden knows.
08-07-2020 06:08 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(08-07-2020 06:08 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  
(08-07-2020 03:30 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Makes sense... seeing as poor minorities are less likely to have wifi and more likely to need subsidized meals which were previously being delivered to their homes.
And why do you think that is so? Hint. Joe Biden knows.

Keep 'em dumb (with terrible schools), keep 'em poor (with a welfare system that penalizes upward movement), keep 'em dependent on handouts (and use every "crisis" to come up with a new one), and you'll keep 'em voting democrat.

Lefties can deny that all they want, but the facts say that's what's going on.
08-07-2020 06:12 PM
450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
Liberal identity politics is racism defined.
08-07-2020 06:29 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

So you are a racist. Got it

Poor kids are just as smart as white kids - Joe Biden

At least you admit it.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2020 06:34 PM by shere khan.)
08-07-2020 06:32 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Hey, wait a minute. If I was in that school district I'd be mighty Ps'ed about having my vacation cut short and letting the white kids have more of it. I'd be showing my birth certificate to these idiot "administrators". 03-wink
08-07-2020 08:01 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
White privilege, man. 04-chairshot
08-07-2020 09:00 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
If they want to base it on kids with the biggest needs (IE kids receiving free/reduced lunch) I can understand. But I don’t see how being Black, brown, or lgbtq Equates to being poor.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2020 09:44 PM by Chappy.)
08-07-2020 09:42 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(08-07-2020 09:42 PM)Chappy Wrote:  If they want to base it on kids with the biggest needs (IE kids receiving free/reduced lunch) I can understand. But I don’t see how being Black, brown, or lgbtq Equates to being poor.

^This I can accept prioritizing kids who are on life's margins but it has to be regardless of color. Those kids need every advantage the public can provide as they are behind the line at the start.

They need to be in school in a classroom or they might not go to school at all and over time become un- or under-educated and on the dole in the prison system for the rest of their lives.
08-08-2020 09:32 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(08-08-2020 09:32 AM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(08-07-2020 09:42 PM)Chappy Wrote:  If they want to base it on kids with the biggest needs (IE kids receiving free/reduced lunch) I can understand. But I don’t see how being Black, brown, or lgbtq Equates to being poor.

^This I can accept prioritizing kids who are on life's margins but it has to be regardless of color. Those kids need every advantage the public can provide as they are behind the line at the start.

They need to be in school in a classroom or they might not go to school at all and over time become un- or under-educated and on the dole in the prison system for the rest of their lives.

therefore, fk some to achieve sum.....

I can't come up with a dumber premise in scope....it's muh Great Society en macro....

just jfc...
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 09:44 AM by stinkfist.)
08-08-2020 09:42 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
The school district (#65) apparently operates within the City of Evanston and the “village” of Skokie. Combined population ~140,000.

In 2016, Evanston went 87% for Hillary Clinton and 7% for Donald Trump. I don’t have exact #s for Skokie but I have a hunch it was very similar.
08-08-2020 10:09 AM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom

By all means, explain to us how a poor white kid is more likely to have access to wifi and meals than a poor black kid. POOR IS POOR.

You literally post the dumbest things.

I'm convinced you know they are stupid and dishonest, and you are fine with that.
08-08-2020 10:18 AM
BartlettTigerFan Online
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
Stupid and dishonest is the Democratic way
08-08-2020 10:22 AM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Lawsuits will lose. Affirmative Action has been ruled okay in the past.
08-08-2020 11:20 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(08-08-2020 11:20 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Lawsuits will lose. Affirmative Action has been ruled okay in the past.

which defines how/when/where suits are filed dependent upon who is POTUS...
08-08-2020 11:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.