Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dems talk about killing filibuster if they win
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Dems talk about killing filibuster if they win
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/5048...-democrats

McConnell has handicapped the Republicans for 4 years. Hopefully the Republicans will elect a new Senate leader in 2025.

"Democrats are stepping up talks about reforming or abolishing the filibuster if they win back the Senate and White House in November.

The renewed discussions are being spurred by Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.), an outspoken liberal who has long championed revamping the procedural tactic that Democrats see as a serious obstacle to passing legislation and confirming nominees...."
06-29-2020 10:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Dems talk about killing filibuster if they win
(06-29-2020 10:00 AM)bullet Wrote:  McConnell has handicapped the Republicans for 4 years. Hopefully the Republicans will elect a new Senate leader in 2025.
McConnell has been the Senate Republican leader for almost 14 years. Was “4” a typo, or do you mean he suddenly became a liability 4 years ago? And if he is a liability now, why wait until 2025 to replace him?
06-29-2020 10:14 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
They should go back to actually having to filibuster.

In practice its just an artificial 60 vote threshold allowing it to be abused.

Make people fillibuster
06-29-2020 10:23 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
If they want to get rid of the filibuster does that mean they will stand by their principles (lol, yeah, I know... I laughed as I typed it) and voluntarily end their own filibuster efforts? You know, to demonstrate their integrity.

OK, I have no idea how I even made it through typing that stuff about dems, principles and integrity.
06-29-2020 10:28 AM
Advertisement

TigersOhMy Offline
Not 1st String

I Root For: Memphis
(06-29-2020 10:28 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  If they want to get rid of the filibuster does that mean they will stand by their principles (lol, yeah, I know... I laughed as I typed it) and voluntarily end their own filibuster efforts? You know, to demonstrate their integrity.

OK, I have no idea how I even made it through typing that stuff about dems, principles and integrity.

I mean they used it LAST WEEK to block a black (republican) senators bill on police reform. They don't want solutions, they want all encompassing power to do as they please.
06-29-2020 10:36 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(06-29-2020 10:36 AM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  
(06-29-2020 10:28 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  If they want to get rid of the filibuster does that mean they will stand by their principles (lol, yeah, I know... I laughed as I typed it) and voluntarily end their own filibuster efforts? You know, to demonstrate their integrity.

I mean they used it LAST WEEK to block a black (republican) senators bill on police reform. They don't want solutions, they want all encompassing power to do as they please.

Exactly. Are they going to stop using it to show us just how righteous they are?
06-29-2020 10:37 AM
BartlettTigerFan Online
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
(06-29-2020 10:37 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(06-29-2020 10:36 AM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  

Exactly. Are they going to stop using it to show us just how righteous they are?

Obviously a rhetorical question :)
06-29-2020 10:41 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(06-29-2020 10:14 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-29-2020 10:00 AM)bullet Wrote:  McConnell has handicapped the Republicans for 4 years. Hopefully the Republicans will elect a new Senate leader in 2025.
McConnell has been the Senate Republican leader for almost 14 years. Was “4” a typo, or do you mean he suddenly became a liability 4 years ago? And if he is a liability now, why wait until 2025 to replace him?

Obama was president 4 years ago. The filibuster wasn't being massively abused until Trump was elected.
06-29-2020 11:11 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-29-2020 10:23 AM)solohawks Wrote:  They should go back to actually having to filibuster.

In practice its just an artificial 60 vote threshold allowing it to be abused.

Make people fillibuster

Yeah, its like pushing a button instead of having to stand up and talk.
06-29-2020 11:12 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Well I mean they can kill it, but be ready for the crying when it's reversed and used on them.
06-29-2020 11:19 AM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
There is nothing in the Constitution about needing 60 votes. Get rid of it.
06-29-2020 11:39 AM
Marc Mensa Online
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
McConnell has effectively destroyed the Senate.

Democrats shouldn’t vote to end the filibuster, however, we’ve reached a point where brokered, bi-partisan legislation is a pipe dream. The Senate was never intended to be the House... yet that’s how it now operates. Hopefully, the next majority leader will be less focused on ideological purity.
06-29-2020 11:41 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
The senate was never intended to be the house of representatives. In the first place, it was supposed to represent the states, whereas the HOR was supposed to be the people's house. The 17th Amendment killed that.

McConnell is next to useless. But if you are looking for a leader less focused on ideological purity, it ain't Chuckie Schumer. There is no such thing as a major US political leader who is NOT focused on ideological purity.
06-29-2020 12:08 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-29-2020 11:39 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  There is nothing in the Constitution about needing 60 votes. Get rid of it.

Would you be opposed to keeping it but making people actually filibuster like in Mr Smith Goes to Washington?

The Senate is for deliberation and the point of a fillibuster is to force people to listen to you not an artificially high vote threshold
06-29-2020 12:28 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/his...Saturdays.

Imagine if they didnt actually make the opponents of the Civil Rights Act fillibuster. How long would it have taken to get 67 votes?

The filibuster against the bill backfired as America got tired of the crap and Senator's switched their votes out of fear of voter backlash.

Make Senator's filibuster and let the public decide if it's a worthwhile cause
06-29-2020 12:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.