Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Grave desecration is next
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Grave desecration is next
https://www.11alive.com/article/news/cri...ea066f4c29

"11Alive has learned that someone went into and vandalized the gravesite of Henry W. Grady at Westview Cemetery. Generations of the Grady family are buried there.

Grady's name has been synonymous with Atlanta for more than a century and can all around the city - and across the state. Grady is the namesake of Grady Memorial Hospital and a Midtown high school. His statue also sits just off of Marietta Street and, in Athens, his name adorns the University of Georgia's School of Journalism...."

Grady promoted the "New South" and was very important in making Atlanta what it is today. Now being a leader in the late 1800s meant he was definitely what would now be called a "white supremacist." He was also the owner and "builder" of the Atlanta Constitution newspaper.
06-13-2020 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Grave desecration is next
There is a very tall and “dramatic” memorial to the CSA located within Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. The enemy has been slow to attack cemeteries, but I have no doubt they eventually will do so.
06-13-2020 08:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-13-2020 07:16 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.11alive.com/article/news/cri...ea066f4c29

"11Alive has learned that someone went into and vandalized the gravesite of Henry W. Grady at Westview Cemetery. Generations of the Grady family are buried there.

Grady's name has been synonymous with Atlanta for more than a century and can all around the city - and across the state. Grady is the namesake of Grady Memorial Hospital and a Midtown high school. His statue also sits just off of Marietta Street and, in Athens, his name adorns the University of Georgia's School of Journalism...."

Grady promoted the "New South" and was very important in making Atlanta what it is today. Now being a leader in the late 1800s meant he was definitely what would now be called a "white supremacist." He was also the owner and "builder" of the Atlanta Constitution newspaper.

CNN reporters were seen in the area. 04-cheers Remember the other protestors aren't literate enough to know who he was.
06-13-2020 08:08 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(06-13-2020 08:05 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  There is a very tall and “dramatic” memorial to the CSA located within Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. The enemy has been slow to attack cemeteries, but I have no doubt they eventually will do so.

Atlanta was talking about removing it. To me that is WAAAAYYYYY beyond the pale.
I dislike all the statue removal, but that is more frustration with their stupidity and weird belief that every person can be perfect. But messing with graves gets me angry.
06-13-2020 09:13 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

They're burning cars and have shut down I75/I85 in Atlanta now.
06-13-2020 09:18 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(06-13-2020 09:13 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(06-13-2020 08:05 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  There is a very tall and “dramatic” memorial to the CSA located within Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. The enemy has been slow to attack cemeteries, but I have no doubt they eventually will do so.

Atlanta was talking about removing it. To me that is WAAAAYYYYY beyond the pale.
I dislike all the statue removal, but that is more frustration with their stupidity and weird belief that every person can be perfect. But messing with graves gets me angry.

Bullet, a Republic doesn't operate by giving in to demands that don't go through proper channels, or by allowing mobs to riot, steal, burn, or destroy public or private property. Give in on any point and there will be no end to their demands and no line of indecency they will not cross.

It's as simple as that. I'm for the fair treatment of all of our citizens, but we are talking about 13% of the population. Reasonable requests that don't come at the expense of other citizen's rights should be heard and handled. But we can't have the tail wag the dog. Those who have loved ones buried in confederate sections of cemeteries have rights too. And the nation has a right to her historical monuments. Caving on these matters is the height of gutlessness and will only bring even more unreasonable demands. This is how terror gets started and it needs to be quickly squashed.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2020 09:24 PM by JRsec.)
06-13-2020 09:19 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(06-13-2020 09:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-13-2020 09:13 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Bullet, a Republic doesn't operate by giving in to demands that don't go through proper channels, or by allowing mobs to riot, steal, burn, or destroy public or private property. Give in on any point and there will be no end to their demands and no line of indecency they will not cross.

It's as simple as that. I'm for the fair treatment of all of our citizens, but we are talking about 13% of the population. Reasonable requests that don't come at the expense of other citizen's rights should be heard and handled. But we can't have the tail wag the dog. Those who have loved ones buried in confederate sections of cemeteries have rights too. And the nation has a right to her historical monuments. Caving on these matters is the height of gutlessness and will only bring even more unreasonable demands. This is how terror gets started and it needs to be quickly squashed.

I was referring to statue removal by city councils. That is different than what is going on this week.
06-13-2020 09:27 PM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Would like to see some states (yes, you TN, where the Dems are powerless in state gov) to start passing laws making it a felony to destroy a monument and prosecuting these people to the max.
06-13-2020 09:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Those people in Virginia, unfortunately, may have found there was a death penalty.
06-13-2020 09:34 PM
Advertisement

memphistiger89 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(06-13-2020 09:28 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Would like to see some states (yes, you TN, where the Dems are powerless in state gov) to start passing laws making it a felony to destroy a monument and prosecuting these people to the max.

I was getting ready to post the same thing. This is beyond sick.
06-13-2020 09:35 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-13-2020 09:35 PM)memphistiger89 Wrote:  
(06-13-2020 09:28 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Would like to see some states (yes, you TN, where the Dems are powerless in state gov) to start passing laws making it a felony to destroy a monument and prosecuting these people to the max.

I was getting ready to post the same thing. This is beyond sick.
I really question if you can get juries to convict on this sort of thing anymore.
06-13-2020 11:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.