Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Danny Kasper
Bookmark and Share
High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State
Danny Kasper
Texas State basketball coach Danny Kasper has been accused of ratially insensitive treatment toward former players. Any thoughts on how this will end? Will he keep his job?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...layers-say

https://twitter.com/thejayyshead/status/...45697?s=19
06-05-2020 10:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cajun_lannister Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: Danny Kasper
(06-05-2020 10:01 AM)High Country Student Wrote:  Texas State basketball coach Danny Kasper has been accused of ratially insensitive treatment toward former players. Any thoughts on how this will end? Will he keep his job?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...layers-say

https://twitter.com/thejayyshead/status/...45697?s=19

This will be used against him in every recruiting battle this might not directly fire him the ramifications will
06-05-2020 10:04 AM
UAB Schnauzer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
He should be fired. I doubt anyone will hire him. Although the line about working at Popeyes if they don’t get their grades up was valid
06-05-2020 10:26 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
The sooner the fire him the better. He's obviously a great coach but the longer the school waits to say or do something the worse it looks.
06-05-2020 10:29 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Online

I Root For: TROY
This will likely end his basketball coaching career. Bad thing is there are wackos calling him a white supremacist now, which is absolutely stupid and overboard no matter what side of the spectrum you're on about what he said.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2020 12:46 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
06-05-2020 12:46 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

Teis is investigating. Fire Kasper. Too many player are saying this is true for it not to be.
06-05-2020 12:52 PM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
Some of the individual comments (like the Popeye's comment) didn't seem particular racial individually. Taken collectively as part of a pattern, I can see how they would come across that way. I have to defer to the players who were there. If they felt racially insensitive to those players, I have to think that the comments were insensitive. Now, calling him a white supremacist seems over the top. That's a whole different ball game. Just because he is an a$$ doesn't mean he's a white supremacist. I don't know the man though.

Liberty might give him a job. They seem to like giving coaching / athletic personnel second chances. Sorry....couldn't resist.
06-05-2020 01:09 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
HE GONE.

. .. ..Let the replacement search begin.
06-05-2020 01:18 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(06-05-2020 01:18 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  HE GONE.

Where did you see that at? I haven't seen anything on twitter yet
06-05-2020 01:25 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Why would Kasper think that it would be ok to say those things..ever?
06-05-2020 02:35 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(06-05-2020 02:35 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  Why would Kasper think that it would be ok to say those things..ever?

According to posters on our board, the players need to toughen up and this generation is soft. I get that coaches can tough but no need to make it race related. This is woke or cancel culture. It is about holding leaders to a higher standard. Be tough but n need to say the things he said. I think he resigns before he is fired. As others said, recruiting is going to be very hard for him now.

That said, at least one former player (from SFA) says he never heard Kaspar say anything racist.
06-05-2020 02:55 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(06-05-2020 01:25 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Where did you see that at? I haven't seen anything on twitter yet

. .. . just my opinion, Brother Bobcat, just MO.

Considering the "current political vibe" in the Country right now, I just don't see how Kaspar survives this.

It's not a good look for him, and it's not a good look for the University. And even should he somehow survive, I gotta believe that it hurts the hell out of recruiting moving forward.
06-05-2020 03:07 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Just thinking, how many white coaches in the SBC who hasn't at one time or another made a racial comment or made a decision determined by racial bias. It's like slipping out a profanity at the dinner table in front of the children. That's why it is important to cleanse the thoughts and the soul. Just saying (Oh, and thinking)
06-05-2020 05:08 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU

I would have Kaspar issue an apology to the team, the university and anyone else he offended and talk about how he will learn from his mistakes and grow as a person. Let Kaspar coach in 2020-2021. This is not the best time to be searching for a new head coach and the guy making the decision to replace Kaspar should not be Teis. If the university determines that Kaspar has to go, how can Teis be completely unaware of what was going on in his own department?
06-05-2020 09:36 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

(06-05-2020 09:36 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

I would have Kaspar issue an apology to the team, the university and anyone else he offended and talk about how he will learn from his mistakes and grow as a person. Let Kaspar coach in 2020-2021. This is not the best time to be searching for a new head coach and the guy making the decision to replace Kaspar should not be Teis. If the university determines that Kaspar has to go, how can Teis be completely unaware of what was going on in his own department?

How can Teis be unaware ?? That's how he rolls. I've never seen an AD so totally out of touch with the very Nature of what his job is/should be.

While I agree with you that this is not an "ideal time" to be conducting a job search, I just don't see how The University goes forward with DK at the helm. It's bad optics in so many ways. IF it were an isolated incident, I'd agree with the "apology and move on" approach. But there are reported multiple incidents of abusive comments directed at players. Sure DK's a Coach, and what Coach doesn't lay it on his team from time to time. But there's a big difference between calling out a player's faults/shortcomings (constructively) and verbage that's abusive/racist. And let's not forget, DK plys his trade at an institution of Higher Learning. His players are Student/Athletes, which means he's not just a Coach, he's also an Educator (at least he's supposed to be).

So let me ask; If he were a just a classroom teacher, directing such comments at students of color, what do you suppose the consequence for such behavior might be?

I don't profess to know what The University will ultimately do. Perhaps he survives this thing, and continues in his present capacity.

The only thing that I know with certainty: It ain't a Great Day to be a Bobcat.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2020 10:51 PM by Bobcat87.)
06-05-2020 10:50 PM
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
Ok I read the quotes attributed to Kasper. The compliant sounds more whiny than anything else. He seems to hear what he wants to hear. How is being a manager at Hertz a black thing? Chasing chickens to develop speed and hand eye coordination was portrayed in Rocky 4 and other shows as a training exercise. Thee Popeyes comment also is just as benign and likely the 1st food joint to pop in his head, are they common in the area or where Kasper is from? The whole hair, tattoos, etc... is just an old school mindset about how he feels young men should look to have more self worth and be able to live in society. It never indicated he only denied or focused on the black students, but apparently some FELT the remarks insensitive.
My concern is the health comments, that would be a bigger issue. What exactly were they doing that could endanger their health?
06-06-2020 05:40 AM
FrankyP Offline
All American

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(06-05-2020 12:46 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  This will likely end his basketball coaching career. Bad thing is there are wackos calling him a white supremacist now, which is absolutely stupid and overboard no matter what side of the spectrum you're on about what he said.

Agreed. I think he gone too but also think anything we’ve seen makes him a WS.
06-06-2020 07:25 AM
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Kaspar is certainly no racist. I spoke with several people, including a couple of his friends. Danny's biggest problem is he never got out of 1973. He's oblivious to how things have changed and therefore the rhetoric he's accused of has come forth.
06-06-2020 09:37 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(06-06-2020 09:37 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Kaspar is certainly no racist. I spoke with several people, including a couple of his friends. Danny's biggest problem is he never got out of 1973. He's oblivious to how things have changed and therefore the rhetoric he's accused of has come forth.

Exactly. I graduated from high school the same year Kaspar did. This was the stuff you would hear in high school from coaches. Actually, worse than that. Kaspar needs to evolve. You can push players and get them to work hard, on and off the court, without the ridiculous 1970's rhetoric. It was the norm back then, but the times have obviously changed. As the leader of the athletic department, Teis should have been communicating that to all coaches. If nothing else, there are liability issues with abusive coaches.
06-06-2020 03:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.