RE: Play Ball

Saw this too
05-11-2020 02:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Question RE: Play Ball
Very worried they'd keep the DH in NL after this season as well. Commies takeover baseball.
05-11-2020 02:54 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Now the players association has to agree to a 50-50 revenue split, and since revenue is only going to be from television (and other media platforms), it's going to be a lot less money than the players are used to.

From a Houston Astros standpoint, it also seems unfair to make them have to play just western teams (along with the Texas Rangers) - the proposal is just AL and NL eastern division teams playing each other, AL and NL central teams against each other, and western division teams against each other. But I don't see MLB worrying too much about being unfair to the Astros right now.

I haven't watched that many regular season baseball games on TV the past few years, but I will absolutely be watching them now - empty stadium or not.
05-11-2020 03:15 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-11-2020 02:54 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Very worried they'd keep the DH in NL after this season as well. Commies takeover baseball.

That might be the only way the players association agrees to a revenue split. That and larger rosters and expanded playoffs.
05-11-2020 03:16 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(05-11-2020 02:54 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Very worried they'd keep the DH in NL after this season as well. Commies takeover baseball.

That needed to happen years ago. No one wants to watch pitchers try to hit or bunt.
05-11-2020 03:20 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
let's review...

#panic

#pRonRules

#-$$$

I live in #dumbofaggooland
05-11-2020 03:21 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(05-11-2020 03:21 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  let's review...

#panic

#pRonRules

#-$$$

I live in #dumbofaggooland

tried to explain why #henceDJT played this one wrong..

#coinnflippedLoser
05-11-2020 03:26 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Is that something that the NL has already done before, or was it just being discussed for the future?
05-11-2020 04:09 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(05-11-2020 03:15 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Now the players association has to agree to a 50-50 revenue split, and since revenue is only going to be from television (and other media platforms), it's going to be a lot less money than the players are used to.

From a Houston Astros standpoint, it also seems unfair to make them have to play just western teams (along with the Texas Rangers) - the proposal is just AL and NL eastern division teams playing each other, AL and NL central teams against each other, and western division teams against each other. But I don't see MLB worrying too much about being unfair to the Astros right now.

I haven't watched that many regular season baseball games on TV the past few years, but I will absolutely be watching them now - empty stadium or not.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you see it as unfair? The NL West is pretty stacked, but it has the same affect on the A's. The Astros still only have to win their division. Maybe it's unfair in terms of home-field advantage in the playoffs, but the Yankees would have to play the Braves, Nats, Phillies, and Mets. No slouches there.

I think it will actually be pretty cool, I look forward to seeing more of the DBacks and Padres, who are flush with young talent. Not to mention the Dodgers, imagine how intense those games are going to be.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 04:34 PM by Kronke.)
05-11-2020 04:15 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(05-11-2020 02:41 PM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  

Saw this too
Can return but the epl hasn't decided

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
05-11-2020 04:16 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(05-11-2020 03:20 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  

That needed to happen years ago. No one wants to watch pitchers try to hit or bunt.

I grew up a Detroit Tigers fan (and therefore an AL fan). 40 years ago I moved west. Denver got an expansion team and I became an NL fan.

I disagree with your assessment mainly because having the pitcher try to hit makes the strategy involved in game planning much more involved. How often do you see a double switch in the AL? Not often. I love offense, sure, but I like the chess games between managers that is caused by having pitchers hit. While I was an AL fan, I thought it was the best but that was mostly because I hadn't had a lot of exposure to the NL and the machinations involved in getting the matchups you want and the chance to keep a rally going when the pitcher is coming up. I have totally switched my stance since becoming a fan of the National League.

Yeah, I realize that pitchers are lousy hitters but the game is more pure to its roots than artificial offense from a DH.
05-11-2020 04:16 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I don't see how this is going to happen in states trying to drag this on. The teams in those states are going to have to play in Florida or Texas, me thinks. Also I wonder how long they plan to play without fans?
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 04:17 PM by Bronco'14.)
05-11-2020 04:17 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-11-2020 04:16 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I grew up a Detroit Tigers fan (and therefore an AL fan). 40 years ago I moved west. Denver got an expansion team and I became an NL fan.

I disagree with your assessment mainly because having the pitcher try to hit makes the strategy involved in game planning much more involved. How often do you see a double switch in the AL? Not often. I love offense, sure, but I like the chess games between managers that is caused by having pitchers hit. While I was an AL fan, I thought it was the best but that was mostly because I hadn't had a lot of exposure to the NL and the machinations involved in getting the matchups you want and the chance to keep a rally going when the pitcher is coming up. I have totally switched my stance since becoming a fan of the National League.

Yeah, I realize that pitchers are lousy hitters but the game is more pure to its roots than artificial offense from a DH.

NL ball is just so boring to me. I'd much rather see pitchers try to deal w/ a stacked 1-9 lineup than double switches and what not.
05-11-2020 04:23 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(05-11-2020 04:15 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(05-11-2020 03:15 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Now the players association has to agree to a 50-50 revenue split, and since revenue is only going to be from television (and other media platforms), it's going to be a lot less money than the players are used to.

How do you see it as unfair? The NL West is pretty stacked, but it has the same affect on the A's. They still only have to win their division. Maybe it's unfair in terms of home-field advantage in the playoffs, but the Yankees would have to play the Braves, Nats, Phillies, and Mets.

I think it will actually be pretty cool, I look forward to seeing more of the DBacks and Padres, who are flush with young talent. Not to mention the Dodgers, imagine how intense those games are going to be.

Just unfair in travel time compared to the other teams. MLB is actually talking about using buses to travel for some road games, but outside of the Rangers, that's impossible really for the Astros (the next nearest team is either Arizona or Colorado). I guess the two Florida teams are sort of in the same boat, but maybe not as extreme as the two Texas teams.

I also am old and don't like to stay up for all those western time zone games! Although if we're not going to be playing games with fans in the stadiums right away at least, you may as well try having more day games. ESPN needs programming during the day too.
05-11-2020 04:34 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(05-11-2020 04:17 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  I don't see how this is going to happen in states trying to drag this on. The teams in those states are going to have to play in Florida or Texas, me thinks. Also I wonder how long they plan to play without fans?

https://twitter.com/xeni/status/1259948821397659648

BRUSHBACK PITCH
05-11-2020 04:34 PM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(05-11-2020 04:34 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  
(05-11-2020 04:15 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

How do you see it as unfair? The NL West is pretty stacked, but it has the same affect on the A's. They still only have to win their division. Maybe it's unfair in terms of home-field advantage in the playoffs, but the Yankees would have to play the Braves, Nats, Phillies, and Mets.

Just unfair in travel time compared to the other teams. MLB is actually talking about using buses to travel for some road games, but outside of the Rangers, that's impossible really for the Astros (the next nearest team is either Arizona or Colorado). I guess the two Florida teams are sort of in the same boat, but maybe not as extreme as the two Texas teams.

I also am old and don't like to stay up for all those western time zone games! Although if we're not going to be playing games with fans in the stadiums right away at least, you may as well try having more day games. ESPN needs programming during the day too.

Yeah, I thought of travel after I posted and that's an advantage the A's would have. Hopefully that's something they can deal with.

The A's have come out strong the past 2 years and then faded late, so hopefully the Astros realize that and don't get 5-10 games back before waking up, because with 82 games there isn't time to make it up.

This is also the best A's team in a while. They don't really have any weaknesses, and we lost Cole, Verlander is coming off surgery, and Alvarez' knees are already giving him trouble.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2020 04:41 PM by Kronke.)
05-11-2020 04:39 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

(05-11-2020 04:34 PM)green Wrote:  
(05-11-2020 04:17 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  I don't see how this is going to happen in states trying to drag this on. The teams in those states are going to have to play in Florida or Texas, me thinks. Also I wonder how long they plan to play without fans?

https://twitter.com/xeni/status/1259948821397659648

BRUSHBACK PITCH

There were reports earlier of people going into the plant, so he wasnt kidding.
05-11-2020 04:52 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(05-11-2020 04:52 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  There were reports earlier of people going into the plant, so he wasnt kidding.

https://twitter.com/KTVU/status/1259942856330018820

KID YOU NOT
05-11-2020 05:10 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
What law passed by the California legislature is Musk breaking?
05-11-2020 05:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.