Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who Should We Take with Last Scholarship?
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Who Should We Take with Last Scholarship?
I think we would all agree if Willie Jackson gets another year of eligibility, that he would fill the last remaining scholarship for next season. If that does not happen, the following are our current offers that we know about:

* Mo Njie - 6-9 Senior Center - Centerville High School

* Brandon Mosley Bacon - 7-1 Junior Transfer Center - Coppin St (2 years eligibility after sitting out next season)

* Terrance Thompson - 6-7 Senior Power Forward - LaCrosse Central High School

In addition, 6-11 Junior Forward Justin Brown is transferring from Tennessee Chattanoga where current UT Assistant Coach Walter Offutt coached prior to last season. I would assume Toledo will offer him if Coach Offutt thinks he can help the program for the next 2 seasons as he has immediate eligibility as a Grad Transfer.

With that said, I love the potential of Njie but I also like what I've read about Mosley-Bacon -- mostly his defense and rebounding skills. I think either of those two players would be great additions to Toledo. But I trust the Coaching Staff will bring in the best "fit" for the Program based on their past history of signing/developing transfers.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020 12:00 PM by Basketball Jones.)
04-05-2020 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Who Should We Take with Last Scholarship?
Brenden Medley Bacon.

Was wondering why my google search kept coming up with a football player.

In two years, who would be projected as the better post, transfer Bacon or Soph Njie? For such a tall home-town guy, Bacon wasn't getting much floor time. Sure he's ready to leave home?
04-05-2020 04:56 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

(04-05-2020 04:56 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Brenden Medley Bacon.

Was wondering why my google search kept coming up with a football player.

In two years, who would be projected as the better post, transfer Bacon or Soph Njie? For such a tall home-town guy, Bacon wasn't getting much floor time. Sure he's ready to leave home?

Slam dunk if we can get him Bacon look at what he did all league 3rd team and 8.9 boards a game and 24 boards in one game.
04-05-2020 07:13 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Take the best athlete available.
04-05-2020 07:33 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
* Mo Njie - 6-9 Senior Center - Centerville High School
- Sure, good ohio prospect. can definitely be a good mac defender and rebounder. big upside if you can develop his offensive game.

* Brandon Mosley Bacon - 7-1 Junior Transfer Center - Coppin St (2 years eligibility after sitting out next season)
- my #1 option. can't coach 7-1 healthy and fairly agile. has steadily improved each year. can defenitely rebound and defend well in the mac. with a year to develop more could be a solid center against any competition and allows junior/senior year AJ and Maranka the ability to play as big 4 men. toledo would dominate the interior against every mac team.

* Terrance Thompson - 6-7 Senior Power Forward - LaCrosse Central High School
- we offered him a while ago and haven't heard much since. interesting back story. good football player too. His recruiting got hot for a minute and then real quiet. Are we still offering him?

In addition, 6-11 Junior Forward Justin Brown is transferring from Tennessee Chattanoga
- nah, tall long and thin guy who didn't produce much against comparable competition at Chattanooga. not really interested, would be a serviceable backup big for 1 year at best.

Sleepy posted on another thread this part from a chicago area recruiting site
Anthony D’Avanzo - This skilled power forward from Lewis was a prospect we were pretty on in his high school days at Niles Notre Dame and with Chicago Lockdown. He produced in a major way this past year as a junior averaging 15.8 points and 8.4 rebounds while shooting 48% from the field and 40% from three in 33 minutes a game at the D2 level. That has resulted in quite a few colleges showing interest in his services. He says the schools involved are Toledo, Southern Illinois, DePaul, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Wyoming, UW-Milwaukee, Drake, Missouri State, and William & Mary. He is probably going to cut it down to five or so in the next week.
- lots of schools in the mix with UT, wait and see, veteran forward who can shoot and rebound against D2 guys. sounds like a sit 1 play 1 player which would mean the staff would see them as a starter in that 1 year. assume if he comes here, he'd be worth it cuz that's 2 scholarships for 1 year of competition.

Zion Griffin - Griffin was the #3 overall prospect in the PHI 2018 high school class. Great combination of power, strength, and elite athleticism. He committed to Iowa State out of high school and after his sophomore year decided to transfer. On Friday night he told PHI he has narrowed his list of suitors to Grand Canyon, Ball State, Wyoming, UIC, Buffalo, and Toledo.
- buffalo kind of kid to me. physical forward with bounce who cracked the rotation at iowa st as a soph.
here's a local article about his decision to transfer. https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/...066573002/ and some quotes
“It's a lot of stuff that I feel like I still need to do to showcase that I wasn’t really able to.”
about getting passed over off the best in the season finale tournament game of iowa state's worst season in memory. “It was really difficult because (I have that fire) as a basketball player and as a competitor that wants to get out and help a team win a basketball game and a really good basketball game that was really capable of being won,” Griffin said. Still, Griffin said there were no hard feelings between him and Prohm. Griffin said that Prohm continually “stayed true to me.” Even though Griffin hasn’t lived up to the high expectations set for him, he believes he still has time. “I’m very confident,” Griffin said. “It’s just believing in myself and making sure that I’m doing the stuff that I know that I’m capable of. I’m very confident in myself. I just need to make sure that this next decision is the best one.”
- obviously, wants to go down to mid major and be starter to finish his career. with a year to grow and regain his confidence and build some skill could be a very good mac player for 2 years with the athleticism to compete with anyone. i'd say he's your number 2 option. would likely sit next year.
04-06-2020 02:07 AM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

It has been a crazy 48 hours for former Iowa redshirt junior forward Cordell Pemsl. Since entering the transfer portal, he has drawn strong interest from a variety of schools.

On Sunday afternoon, Pemsl told 247Sports that he is drawing interest from New Mexico State, Cincinnati, Boston College, Eastern Tennessee State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Toledo, Akron, Illinois State, Albany, South Florida, Seattle, San Diego, Virginia Tech and Drake.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Artic...145736311/
04-08-2020 12:50 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-08-2020 12:50 AM)Sleepy Wrote:  It has been a crazy 48 hours for former Iowa redshirt junior forward Cordell Pemsl. Since entering the transfer portal, he has drawn strong interest from a variety of schools.

On Sunday afternoon, Pemsl told 247Sports that he is drawing interest from New Mexico State, Cincinnati, Boston College, Eastern Tennessee State, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Toledo, Akron, Illinois State, Albany, South Florida, Seattle, San Diego, Virginia Tech and Drake.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Artic...145736311/
Would be a great fit
04-08-2020 03:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.