Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WBB Gabby Nikitinaite to enter transfer portal
Bookmark and Share
HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Jr Gabby Nikitinaite has announced she plans on transferring and has entered the transfer portal. Gabby averaged 8.0 ppg with 3.4 rpg. Gabby was coming off of a decent Sophomore year but was very inconsistent this year and at times did not seem mentally present and feel from Carlsen’s grace toward the end of the year. This does free up another scholarship to go along with the 5 from the graduating seniors. Good luck to Gabby.
03-30-2020 07:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
So I don't see many women's game so would like to hear more frequent fans' opinions.

What I did see was her freshman season she seemed to be the do it all type of player. Not getting plays run for her but she was all over the floor making a difference. When she was on the floor the team played well.

This year, I didn't recognize her. She seemed lost, slow, disinterested or maybe even hurt. My buddy saw the same thing and we discussed because her future looked bright.

Forgive the assessment cause I'm not trying to be mean just wanted to understand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
03-30-2020 08:09 PM
HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

RE: WBB Gabby Nikitinaite to enter transfer portal
I should point out that 2 scholarships were given in the fall signing period to a PG from Bolingbrook and another off guard from the state of Iowa. So to my knowledge that leaves 4 scholarships left to give in what I’m sure is a different recruiting cycle with the current new rules/virus situation .
03-30-2020 08:16 PM
HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

(03-30-2020 08:09 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  So I don't see many women's game so would like to hear more frequent fans' opinions.

What I did see was her freshman season she seemed to be the do it all type of player. Not getting plays run for her but she was all over the floor making a difference. When she was on the floor the team played well.

This year, I didn't recognize her. She seemed lost, slow, disinterested or maybe even hurt. My buddy saw the same thing and we discussed because her future looked bright.

Forgive the assessment cause I'm not trying to be mean just wanted to understand.

I saw every WBB game either in person or on tv if televised. My assessment you are right on but would add her freshmen year showed some promise but was a turnover machine. Sophomore year for the most part played pretty well ( ave 12.0 ppg I believe) but then like I said I would agree with your evaluation this year.
03-30-2020 08:26 PM
Advertisement

pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
This is from the WBB post-season commentary thread, to show who is expected to return and recruits ... I deleted Gabby Nikitinaite from the returners ... not sure what the total scholarship count is ...

RETURNERS AND RECRUITS

Riley Blackwell, F, 6-1, Sr.*
Mikayla Brandon, F, 6-1, Jr.*
Chrstina Britter, F, 6-1 (was So. in 2019-20)
Paulina Castro, G, 5-8, R-Sr.*
A'Jah Davis, F, 6-1, So.*
Rachel Dumoulin, G, 5-9 (was Jr. in 19-20)
Errin Hodges, G, 6-0, (Jr., medical redshirt 2019-20, 2 years eligibility left)
Grace Hunter, G, 5-10, So.*
Chelby Koker, G, 5-6, So.*
Janae Poisson, G, 5-4, R-Jr.*

Note: * = 2020-21 status; () = unsure. Please correct any.

Seniors departing: Courtney Woods, Ninni Salmi, Myia Starks, Abby Woollacott, Ally May

-----------------------
Signed:
Jayden Marable, 5-6, PG, Bolingbrook HS (IL)
Sidney McCrea, 5-10, G, Prairie HS (Cedar Rapids IA)

Outstanding offer:
Kelby Bannerman, 6-1, G/F, Hampshire HS (IL)

-----------------------
On recruiting, from "Coffee With Carlsen," Feb. 11, 2020:

"We will look to probably fill two or three more spots this spring. We need some post players, so we've spent a lot of time looking at some junior college kids, and then we'll see what happens as far as transfers that may be out there. But right now I don't necessarily anticipate another freshman. I would look for a more experienced junior college player in the post position."

--------------------------------
ALSO, IF YOU WANT TO TRACK who's available, who's been signed, etc., go to https://wbbblog.com/ and select from menu across the top.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 05:16 AM by pvk75.)
03-31-2020 04:37 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
On Nikitinaite ... Good utility player who suddenly, as Teamduh said, seemed to lose enthusiasm this past season. Lot of speculation possible ... she's from the UK so there might be some homesickness there, wanted and didn't get starting job, Carlsen's main subs when they didn't start seemed to be froshes Koker and Hunter, maybe goal is to showcase for WNBA or other post-NIU career, or add-your-own speculation ...

An off-shoot, imo: I wonder how much encouragement Carlsen gives to players who might want to coach some day. E.g., Out of Jane Albright's players, Carol Owens was HC at NIU and is now associate head coach at Notre Dame. Lisa Foss ran a basketball clinic/school (don't know status of clinic, but I think for a while Tammy Hinchee also worked with her too). And Denise Ianello (nee Dove, married to Buffalo FB asst coach Rob Ianello) has quite a history: assistant WBB coach at Arizona and Wisconsin, WNBA scout, and high school coach. May have been others.

Imo, helping those with a deeper interest in the game beyond playing is a strong motivator.

Anyway, here's the link for a story about Ianello, one of my favorites to watch when she was NIU point guard:
https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/10/denis...-football/
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 05:17 AM by pvk75.)
03-31-2020 04:54 AM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(03-30-2020 08:26 PM)HOF 08 Wrote:  
(03-30-2020 08:09 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  So I don't see many women's game so would like to hear more frequent fans' opinions.

I saw every WBB game either in person or on tv if televised. My assessment you are right on but would add her freshmen year showed some promise but was a turnover machine. Sophomore year for the most part played pretty well ( ave 12.0 ppg I believe) but then like I said I would agree with your evaluation this year.

Plain and simple---Chelby Koker is ahead of her on the depth chart and will be the team's scoring threat/leader over the next three years. As a senior, Gabby, I thought would have had many opportunities to score--but I think Chelby has grabbed that role and Gabby will be looking for a spot with a bigger role.

And---not that there's a ton of defensive talent on this team to begin with---Gabby's disinterest on the defensive end was somewhat evident---which could be a factor, as well.
03-31-2020 10:37 AM
Advertisement

HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

Looks like WBB has picked up a verbal from a JUCO Forward in 6’00” Emily Mennert from Parkland College-need 2-3 more to round out the roster.
03-31-2020 09:44 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

(03-31-2020 10:37 AM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  
(03-30-2020 08:26 PM)HOF 08 Wrote:  

Plain and simple---Chelby Koker is ahead of her on the depth chart and will be the team's scoring threat/leader over the next three years. As a senior, Gabby, I thought would have had many opportunities to score--but I think Chelby has grabbed that role and Gabby will be looking for a spot with a bigger role.

And---not that there's a ton of defensive talent on this team to begin with---Gabby's disinterest on the defensive end was somewhat evident---which could be a factor, as well.
Thanks. Appreciate the insight.

04-01-2020 11:47 AM
HOF 08 Offline
2nd String

I have it from a pretty good source that at mid season A’Jah Davis was very unhappy with her playing time and talked about transferring. Now having said that (1) her playing time increased when conference play started-right about that same time (2) I’m sure part of it was the normal feelings of a Fr getting use to not playing as much and not being the star like they were in high school. She should play a lot/start most of the next 3 years so hopefully that’s not an issue anymore.
04-01-2020 02:01 PM
Advertisement

Teamduh Offline
1st String

(04-01-2020 02:01 PM)HOF 08 Wrote:  I have it from a pretty good source that at mid season A’Jah Davis was very unhappy with her playing time and talked about transferring. Now having said that (1) her playing time increased when conference play started-right about that same time (2) I’m sure part of it was the normal feelings of a Fr getting use to not playing as much and not being the star like they were in high school. She should play a lot/start most of the next 3 years so hopefully that’s not an issue anymore.
I hear ya. I got teenagers and if impatience was a valuable commodity they'd be rich. But hey, that is how we learn.

04-01-2020 04:56 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(04-01-2020 02:01 PM)HOF 08 Wrote:  I have it from a pretty good source that at mid season A’Jah Davis was very unhappy with her playing time and talked about transferring. Now having said that (1) her playing time increased when conference play started-right about that same time (2) I’m sure part of it was the normal feelings of a Fr getting use to not playing as much and not being the star like they were in high school. She should play a lot/start most of the next 3 years so hopefully that’s not an issue anymore.

Sometimes I just have to shake my head. This is the same girl that is from DeKalb, went to Florida JUST TO PLAY BASKETBALL in high school at a high profile place, right? I’m guessing since she ended up at NIU that the SEC, ACC, Big East schools weren’t pinging her phone with offers, were they?

I was quite impressed that she totally unseated Abby Wollacott by the half way point and was pushing Ally May at that point, too, although Ally never seemed fully healthy after turning her ankle. I really think that A’Jah had the solid freshman maturation through the year, but I’m speaking as a fan, not an entitled athlete.

Boy, I hope your feelings are right on her—-she has some really good potential to give the ladies a post present that has been missing for a long, long time. A’Jah will improve on her ball handling skills and will learn how to stay out of foul trouble (a contributing factor to lack of playing time) as she gets more experience.

Just sad to read that someone, 10 games in, has thoughts of transferring. Disheartening.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020 05:58 PM by Milwaukee Pilot.)
04-01-2020 05:57 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(03-31-2020 04:54 AM)pvk75 Wrote:  On Nikitinaite ... Good utility player who suddenly, as Teamduh said, seemed to lose enthusiasm this past season. Lot of speculation possible ... she's from the UK so there might be some homesickness there, wanted and didn't get starting job, Carlsen's main subs when they didn't start seemed to be froshes Koker and Hunter, maybe goal is to showcase for WNBA or other post-NIU career, or add-your-own speculation ...

An off-shoot, imo: I wonder how much encouragement Carlsen gives to players who might want to coach some day. E.g., Out of Jane Albright's players, Carol Owens was HC at NIU and is now associate head coach at Notre Dame. Lisa Foss ran a basketball clinic/school (don't know status of clinic, but I think for a while Tammy Hinchee also worked with her too). And Denise Ianello (nee Dove, married to Buffalo FB asst coach Rob Ianello) has quite a history: assistant WBB coach at Arizona and Wisconsin, WNBA scout, and high school coach. May have been others.

Imo, helping those with a deeper interest in the game beyond playing is a strong motivator.

Anyway, here's the link for a story about Ianello, one of my favorites to watch when she was NIU point guard:
https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/10/denis...-football/

I just read that article today. She was my favorite. So intense then and now.
04-01-2020 06:00 PM
Fade2black Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ALLNIU
(03-31-2020 09:44 PM)HOF 08 Wrote:  Looks like WBB has picked up a verbal from a JUCO Forward in 6’00” Emily Mennert from Parkland College-need 2-3 more to round out the roster.

Received commitment from 6' 3" W Brooke Stonebraker from Versailles HS in Ohio. Third team All-State Div. III in Ohio. Probably a "build-a-player".
04-14-2020 09:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.