Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Douglas County Maryland
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Douglas County Maryland
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl...42439.html

"...As a third-generation Washingtonian, I have been an involved advocate for complete D.C. voting rights my entire adult life. Four years ago, I started a nonpartisan nonprofit political reform organization called Douglass County, Maryland. Douglass County, with the initials “DC”, and named after the great abolitionist Frederick Douglass, is the fully enfranchised future of the District of Columbia. Frederick Douglass was born a slave in Maryland. He died a second-class citizen by law not due to the color of skin but due to his residency in the District.

The technical term for our advocacy is “retrocession” and it has occurred once before. From 1846 to 1847, the Virginia portion of the District of Columbia fell back (or “retroceded”) into the state from which it came. This process can be repeated, on the northern side of the Potomac, realigning our nation’s capital once more. The geography of Douglass County, Maryland is identical to that of the would-be 51st state, belatedly being called “Douglass Commonwealth” by its chief sponsor, 15- term, D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton...."

DC is a city, not a state. I think this is the right solution. Just make the central area the "District of Columbia National Park" so that they have significant control over development. Of course Democrats won't like it much because while it guarantees the Maryland electoral votes, those are pretty safe. It loses 2 from DC (the 3rd will go with Maryland's votes).
02-20-2020 11:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Douglas County Maryland
There was a time when "District" was needed. But the government's powers have expanded and its really not necessary anymore.
02-20-2020 11:22 AM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
I would be fine with retrocession of the District’s territory back into Maryland.

We may be at a point when the people of Maryland would be fine with it, too. Certainly that would’ve been a political non-starter at any time from about 1950-2010. I remember a former Maryland Governor named Parris Glendening (Democrat) making a sarcastic/negative comment about that idea while he was in office (1995-2002).

But perhaps the situation has changed. Could be a positive solution.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2020 01:31 PM by Native Georgian.)
02-20-2020 01:26 PM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
I was wondering where this was going...I'm like, there is no Douglas County in Maryland. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2020 01:40 PM by Redwingtom.)
02-20-2020 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.