Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Penny needs to start using his bench
Bookmark and Share
Keeper Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB Penny needs to start using his bench
Until coach Hardaway starts to hold himself accountable by holding his players accountable this team will remain the most talented bad team in basketball history.
Playing 11 players in the rotation is not responsible. There are plenty of seats available for teammates who throw the ball into the stands, dribble too much, fail to pass to the hot and open man.
The bench is where accountability registers. The bench is the coaches friend, but it requires a coach who sees his job as helping the TEAM win. Practice is where a coach can encourage good play the game is when he demands it. Game time is for winning. Winning requires accountability. Accountability can put you on the bench. There are ten other players who want your minutes.
01-27-2020 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: Penny needs to start using his bench
(01-27-2020 10:11 PM)New Here 101 Wrote:  The reality is that by this time of the year you should be trimmed down to a 7-8 man rotation.

We just don't have the depth to play 11 guys.

truEth
01-27-2020 10:17 PM
UOFMGLENN Online
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
You tell em coach!
01-27-2020 11:20 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
We have some very dramatic posters. We lose a few games and all of sudden:

1. Penny does not recruit and is not actually responsible for the #1 class
2. Does not actually want the TEAM to win (what the hell does that even mean?)
3. This team is definitely not making the NCAA tournament
4. This is the most talented bad team in the history of basketball
07-coffee3

I am frustrated about the team's play of late and there is certainly a ton of room for improvement with both the players and coaching staff, but some of you all need to eat a Snickers bar or lay off the booze a bit before posting...
01-28-2020 12:43 AM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
That's what is getting us into trouble right now
01-28-2020 09:27 AM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(01-27-2020 09:38 PM)Keeper Wrote:  Until coach Hardaway starts to hold himself accountable by holding his players accountable this team will remain the most talented bad team in basketball history.
Playing 11 players in the rotation is not responsible. There are plenty of seats available for teammates who throw the ball into the stands, dribble too much, fail to pass to the hot and open man.
The bench is where accountability registers. The bench is the coaches friend, but it requires a coach who sees his job as helping the TEAM win. Practice is where a coach can encourage good play the game is when he demands it. Game time is for winning. Winning requires accountability. Accountability can put you on the bench. There are ten other players who want your minutes.

Your post says "Penny needs to use his bench" then you bemoan the fact he's using his bench (playing 11 players in the rotation is not responsible).

Which one is it?
01-28-2020 09:33 AM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(01-28-2020 12:43 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  We have some very dramatic posters. We lose a few games and all of sudden:

1. Penny does not recruit and is not actually responsible for the #1 class
2. Does not actually want the TEAM to win (what the hell does that even mean?)
3. This team is definitely not making the NCAA tournament
4. This is the most talented bad team in the history of basketball
07-coffee3

I am frustrated about the team's play of late and there is certainly a ton of room for improvement with both the players and coaching staff, but some of you all need to eat a Snickers bar or lay off the booze a bit before posting...

It really is ridiculous.
01-28-2020 10:10 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-28-2020 09:33 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(01-27-2020 09:38 PM)Keeper Wrote:  Until coach Hardaway starts to hold himself accountable by holding his players accountable this team will remain the most talented bad team in basketball history.

Your post says "Penny needs to use his bench" then you bemoan the fact he's using his bench (playing 11 players in the rotation is not responsible).

Which one is it?

Lol...

You're mean...But at least you are honest.

Pennies did not play Junior for the first time all year against SMU. He had been playing him the first half to make sure he got time.

Penny will eventually realize that he is going to have to hurt some feelings in order to maximize his teams capabilities...I think he is getting there.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2020 10:17 AM by macgar32.)
01-28-2020 10:16 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
(01-28-2020 10:16 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Which one is it?

Lol...

You're mean...But at least you are honest.

Pennies did not play Junior for the first time all year against SMU. He had been playing him the first half to make sure he got time.

Penny will eventually realize that he is going to have to hurt some feelings in order to maximize his teams capabilities...I think he is getting there.

Mean?......03-lmfao
01-28-2020 10:19 AM
Advertisement

hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina

Which one is it?

He meant use the physical bench as a tool/punishment/weapon against pour play. If you can’t value the ball, make good decisions, play good D, and rebound you can come sit on the BENCH. He did not mean to use his bench players more.
01-28-2020 12:33 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-28-2020 12:33 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  

Which one is it?

He meant use the physical bench as a tool/punishment/weapon against pour play. If you can’t value the ball, make good decisions, play good D, and rebound you can come sit on the BENCH. He did not mean to use his bench players more.

I think Salukis response was valid.

If you are going to punish someone by benching them then you are going to need to go deeper into the bench to replace their minutes.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2020 12:36 PM by macgar32.)
01-28-2020 12:35 PM
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins
I think too little is being made of the age and experience of this team. This fact has been beaten, but only because it’s true.

We are literally the youngest team in the nation. We have mostly 18 year old players going against 20+yo players. They are more experienced and developed. If you have a very talented JV team of 16 year olds and put them against a talented varsity team with 18 y/os, the 16yo team loses most of the time.

With Wiseman, we may have overcome a lot of the differences in experience, maturity, and chemistry due to having the most talented 18yo in the nation. I think we win at least 2 and probably 3 games we have lost. He’s gone, we are ridiculously young and in year 2 of a full rebuild after the Tubby disaster. It will take time and as fans we need to be more realistic and patient.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2020 01:09 PM by tigerjamesc.)
01-28-2020 01:07 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain

Which one is it?

Um, in order to "use the bench" (the physical object) he has to then play guys other than those sitting on the physical object.

So the question remains, how is it possible to be mad that he is playing 11 players (he played 9 vs. SMU, of course) when he would have to play 9 or 10 if he were relegating others to the physical object.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2020 01:13 PM by salukiblue.)
01-28-2020 01:12 PM
Advertisement

MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(01-28-2020 01:12 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Which one is it?

Um, in order to "use the bench" (the physical object) he has to then play guys other than those sitting on the physical object.

So the question remains, how is it possible to be mad that he is playing 11 players (he played 9 vs. SMU, of course) when he would have to play 9 or 10 if he were relegating others to the physical object.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Penny's substitions have not been based upon performance. There has been no consistent factor in them. No core lineups.

OP is just saying Penny needs to sit players down when they jack up a 40 ft 3 on the break, turn the ball over for no reason, or fail to block out, rebound or give their all.

This team needs a incentive to focus. Maybe with their backs against the wall it will happen. Penny can still use the bench as a teaching tool, something he really hasn't done this year imo.

And stop that 1-5 switching defense already...smh
01-28-2020 07:10 PM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

I remember before the season started how everyone was talking about how we wouldn’t lose but 3-5 games. U said then that this young team would take their lumps. Now that we have lost the quitter Wiseman it just magnifies it. Young inexperienced teams rarely do well.
01-28-2020 10:28 PM
cvilletiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: the tigers
(01-28-2020 01:07 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  I think too little is being made of the age and experience of this team. This fact has been beaten, but only because it’s true.

We are literally the youngest team in the nation. We have mostly 18 year old players going against 20+yo players. They are more experienced and developed. If you have a very talented JV team of 16 year olds and put them against a talented varsity team with 18 y/os, the 16yo team loses most of the time.

With Wiseman, we may have overcome a lot of the differences in experience, maturity, and chemistry due to having the most talented 18yo in the nation. I think we win at least 2 and probably 3 games we have lost. He’s gone, we are ridiculously young and in year 2 of a full rebuild after the Tubby disaster. It will take time and as fans we need to be more realistic and patient.

Agree 100%. Frustrating that so few seem to get this
01-29-2020 12:23 AM
ShilohTiger Offline
Special Teams

Use the bench. Up is down. Black is white.
Well I think you’re half-smart.
01-29-2020 02:34 AM
Advertisement

GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

(01-28-2020 01:07 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  It will take time and as fans we need to be more realistic and patient.

So true, yet many of the basketball "experts" posting on this board wish to strongly disagree with you. 04-cheers
01-29-2020 09:17 AM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
Fortunately, our Memphis fanbase contains many HOF coaches who can give Coach Hardaway expert advice on what he needs to do differently. That makes it easier on fans like me who want the team to win, but don’t have that expertise. I can come to this board and receive expert opinions on our team’s shortcomings and weaknesses. Of course I was once told that opinions are like rectums .... everybody has one.
01-29-2020 09:34 AM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(01-28-2020 01:07 PM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  I think too little is being made of the age and experience of this team. This fact has been beaten, but only because it’s true.

Absolutely! Great post!
01-29-2020 09:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.