SMU 3.62% 5 3.62%
Total 138 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Worst AAC Stadium is...
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
Worst AAC Stadium is...
I have attended football games at the following AAC venues (most recent visit)...

UCF (obviously as a UCF fan) - 2015
USF - 2014
ECU - 2018
Cincinnati - 2017
Memphis - 2018
Houston - 2016
SMU - 2017
Tulsa - 2019

After being to all of those over the last 4 yrs, I have to say without a doubt Tulsa is BY FAR the worst venue in the AAC. The stadium is cramped with few/no amenities, attendance is relative awful (even when they have good seasons), and just seems so antiquated it's hard to figure why they haven't done any recent updating, or have they? The only thing that looked somewhat new was the ribbon-board and maybe the field itself? Press-box doesn't look too bad either, but everything else is just awful.

I haven't made it down to Tulane, Temple or Navy, but I'm sure Temple (NFL stadium), Navy (everyone raves about it there), and Tulane (still practically brand-new), are all better than what Tulsa has to offer.

What say you about your experience at various AAC football stadiums?
01-13-2020 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
RE: Worst AAC Stadium is...
If you haven't been to UCF's Spectrum Stadium since 2015, so much has changed/improved, as every year, Danny White has upgraded different sections to turn them into premium seating areas with amenities.

Also, DW added new South and North End Zone video boards as well starting in 2016/2017.
01-13-2020 09:46 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2020 09:46 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  If you haven't been to UCF's Spectrum Stadium since 2015, so much has changed/improved, as every year, Danny White has upgraded different sections to turn them into premium seating areas with amenities.

Also, DW added new South and North End Zone video boards as well starting in 2016/2017.

I've kept up with the renovations through pictures and videos and of course seeing it on TV. I moved from Florida to Oklahoma in the spring of 2016, so unfortunately have not been able to make it back to a game there since. It definitely is looking nicer with the improvements. Any changes to the concourses downstairs by chance? Never get to see pics or anything about that one TV. The field-level cabanas seem to be a nice touch and popular, and I'm glad to see some upper level deck seating at the top of the east-side cabana club section. How do you feel splitting the student section to both endzones has been received? Just a few things I've been curious about.

P.S. I think I just missed out on seeing the new video boards. Also I stand corrected, 2014 vs Bethune-Cookman was actually the last home-game I attended. Didn't make it to a home game in 2015, just the road game at South Carolina.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 09:59 AM by Once a Knight....)
01-13-2020 09:55 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
I think someone from each school needs to step and provide me with an all expenses paid trip to a game at their respective stadiums so I can make an objective decision.
01-13-2020 10:07 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I thought the Liberty Bowl was dump in 2008 & 2009. I went to the ECU/Kentucky & ECU/Arkansas bowl games. I understand some improvements have been made.
01-13-2020 10:07 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2020 10:07 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  I thought the Liberty Bowl was dump in 2008 & 2009. I went to the ECU/Kentucky & ECU/Arkansas bowl games. I understand some improvements have been made.

I agree with you, having similar prospective I went to the UCF vs Georgia Liberty Bowl in 2010. It certainly was dated. Having gone back again in 2018 for Memphis vs UCF, I can say there have been some improvements (added chairback seating, new turf, new jumbotron, etc,). One improvement that wasn't done (that should've been a must IMO) was that there were no TVs mounted around the concourse by the vending areas so you could keep tabs on the action. Definitely skimped out there. Overall the Liberty Bowl stadium isn't bad, and certainly can be a loud-intimidating venue when it's packed, but I would like to see some more improvements made. If they could somehow build in some open deck patio areas, that would help too (maybe behind both endzones where it's the closest to the field with the fewest rows?).
01-13-2020 10:27 AM
Advertisement

Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(01-13-2020 09:42 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  I have attended football games at the following AAC venues (most recent visit)...

UCF (obviously as a UCF fan) - 2015
USF - 2014
ECU - 2018
Cincinnati - 2017
Memphis - 2018
Houston - 2016
SMU - 2017
Tulsa - 2019

After being to all of those over the last 4 yrs, I have to say without a doubt Tulsa is BY FAR the worst venue in the AAC. The stadium is cramped with few/no amenities, attendance is relative awful (even when they have good seasons), and just seems so antiquated it's hard to figure why they haven't done any recent updating, or have they? The only thing that looked somewhat new was the ribbon-board and maybe the field itself? Press-box doesn't look too bad either, but everything else is just awful.

I haven't made it down to Tulane, Temple or Navy, but I'm sure Temple (NFL stadium), Navy (everyone raves about it there), and Tulane (still practically brand-new), are all better than what Tulsa has to offer.

What say you about your experience at various AAC football stadiums?

I think your 3-8 record and big ol donut in Tulsa effect your judgement. But hey what do I know, you got an erector set rusting away after you built it, and a program barely old enough to buy beer.

Skelly was built before your school ever existed.
01-13-2020 10:36 AM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
This thread will lead to a campaign by Tulsa to invite UMass to the AAC solely so that they will no longer have the worst stadium in the AAC as deemed by this forum.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 10:41 AM by e-parade.)
01-13-2020 10:40 AM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(01-13-2020 10:40 AM)e-parade Wrote:  This thread will lead to a campaign by Tulsa to invite UMass to the AAC solely so that they will no longer have the worst stadium in the AAC as deemed by this forum.

Are you new to this forum?

Tulsa will most assuredly finish last no matter who else is put up.
01-13-2020 10:43 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(01-13-2020 09:55 AM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  The field-level cabanas seem to be a nice touch and popular, and I'm glad to see some upper level deck seating at the top of the east-side cabana club section. How do you feel splitting the student section to both endzones has been received? Just a few things I've been curious about.

P.S. I think I just missed out on seeing the new video boards. Also I stand corrected, 2014 vs Bethune-Cookman was actually the last home-game I attended. Didn't make it to a home game in 2015, just the road game at South Carolina.

The top of the Cabana Club on the East Side is now a huge bar with standing tables between the 30's as the Cabana expanded to multiple 2nd level sections in 2019 (Season Tix sold out).

Loge Tables at for the Tower opened on the SW Top Level in 2018 and NW in 2019 and instantly sold out. (Covered shade is nice for those 4 swivel chair tables).
[Image: 741694_loge-cover-wide_huge.jpg]

2018 Photo of SW Loge...NW opened in 2019
[Image: 741695_loge-full-at-night_huge.jpg]

Dividing the student section is great (when full) as students are generally louder (again, when they are there for the first half or in 2nd half in big games), so it really gives the defense a big advantage when opposition is near either end zone.

Stadium Club on the West Side Concourse is nice...tons of bars.

Field Cabanas in both end zones are very nice.

Danny White has done an amazing job adding thousands of premium seating areas that have really helped UCF's game day revenue soar...as he turned unused areas into $$$ and turned old plain bleachers into high revenue clubs.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 10:54 AM by KnightLight.)
01-13-2020 10:47 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2020 10:40 AM)e-parade Wrote:  This thread will lead to a campaign by Tulsa to invite UMass to the AAC solely so that they will no longer have the worst stadium in the AAC as deemed by this forum.

Haha... I have no ill-will towards Tulsa, and as a UCF fan plenty of respect especially after beating us in CCG games in C-USA in 2005 and 2012, while beating them in 2007. We also have never won a game at Tulsa (for whatever reason).

Nonethless, Tulsa has SOOOO much potential. Oklahoma is a rabid football state (can confirm since moving here 4 yrs ago). OU and OSU is everywhere, however, Tulsa is so far hidden on the radar most wouldn't even know they exist. Tulsa is a great city of almost 1 million people (metro area). Yes, I know Tulsa is a small private school, but they SHOULD/could be marketing themselves as "Tulsa's Team". Hell it's in the freaking name!! AAC isn't the Big 12, but very competitive and Tulsa fields a great schedule against storied and currently good/great teams. Playing Houston, Navy, Memphis, Tulane, and SMU every yr plus whatever OOC games (and cross-division AAC). Could certainly garner some interest. With that said, if they don't do SOMETHING to improve the stadium (maybe it's time to just tear it down and rebuild)? I'd argue there are high school stadiums (though smaller) in the area that are legitimately as good or better than Chapman Stadium. Broken Arrow H.S. comes to mind as one that I've been to personally and couldn't believe it was a h.s. stadium at all.

3-8 record aside, Tulsa has had great seasons before, and has been competitive in all their games each of the last two yrs at least. If they can do SOMETHING to separate themselves from (insert random small/private FBS school here), they could really make some noise and garner interest, but until they do more to market themselves and get support of their local area, they are going to continue to be doomed to irrelevance.
01-13-2020 10:51 AM
Advertisement

oasispirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
With the new club level, I'll put DF up against any in the league. Altho I am sure Houston and Cincy are nice.
01-13-2020 11:06 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2020 11:06 AM)oasispirate Wrote:  With the new club level, I'll put DF up against any in the league. Altho I am sure Houston and Cincy are nice.

Can confirm Houston and Cincy are nice, and the way they are laid out with the open concourses to where you can watch the game and feel part of the environment even when at the concessions is pretty amazing. Personally (excluding NFL venues), I'd put Houston or Cincy as my #1. Maybe Cincy only because they can sellout their stadium. Not sure what the hell is Houston's problem when they are good and hosting a big team or a P5. Smh...
01-13-2020 11:11 AM
TUCandoit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
Tulsa is in a bad place with it's stadium.

If they do any major upgrades it pisses off a lot of people since the stadium has been deemed historical. I believe a law suit appeared last round of renovations.

Then if they don't do anything then everyone says it's old and antiquated.

However, the locker rooms have been updated and look fantastic. They have the new athletic building in the endzone and the media center is new as well. The video board is up in the upper tiers of the conference and the field is nice....I think most just see the smallness and hate it...that and the concessions are horrible on the east side and bathrooms are in need of reno.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2020 11:15 AM by TUCandoit.)
01-13-2020 11:14 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(01-13-2020 10:07 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  I think someone from each school needs to step and provide me with an all expenses paid trip to a game at their respective stadiums so I can make an objective decision.

Will gladly pay to see you crying at the Linc next year, I’ll throw in the tissues for free.
01-13-2020 11:28 AM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(01-13-2020 11:14 AM)TUCandoit Wrote:  Tulsa is in a bad place with it's stadium.

If they do any major upgrades it pisses off a lot of people since the stadium has been deemed historical. I believe a law suit appeared last round of renovations.

However, the locker rooms have been updated and look fantastic. They have the new athletic building in the endzone and the media center is new as well. The video board is up in the upper tiers of the conference and the field is nice....I think most just see the smallness and hate it...that and the concessions are horrible on the east side and bathrooms are in need of reno.

If we were able to redo the concessions and bathrooms, like you said, I think that would quiet a lot of people's gripes. It would mine anyway. Most of the stadium normally seen by fans is in pretty good shape besides that I feel like.

As far as a vote, I've only ever got to go to SMU, and Memphis' stadiums and really didn't get to view a lot as I was in the band. I suppose I'll vote SMU just because nobody was there.
01-13-2020 11:29 AM
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Product on the field hasn't been good as of late... but hands down, Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium is the class of the American.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fbonesville....amp;nofb=1]
[Image: TowneBank_Tower_2019_3.jpg]
[Image: ECU+stadium+8+12.JPG]
[Image: TowneBank_Tower.jpg]
[Image: 5db2029d489d2.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C815]
[Image: sw47uznu6niiib0n2kaj.jpg]
[Image: DFS_Crop.jpg]
[Image: ECU_UNC_stadium-768x384.jpg]
[Image: 9408640.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200...height=630]
01-13-2020 11:29 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2020 11:14 AM)TUCandoit Wrote:  Tulsa is in a bad place with it's stadium.

Yes, I know how it's in a historic district and right along Historic Route 66, however being a historic/old stadium you CAN make improvements without completely changing the historic look/feel. Nippert Stadium at Cincy is probably the best example of this.

To respond to your comment about the video board... the video board was alright (a bit small, but good), but the sound system was atrocious! Aside from that, leg room was non-existent (especially in the chairback seating area), and the concourse was narrow, though with almost nobody at the game this proved no problems. And then with the bathroom troughs?? I felt like I was back at the old Citrus Bowl (pre-renovation).
01-13-2020 11:31 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

(01-13-2020 11:29 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Product on the field hasn't been good as of late... but hands down, Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium is the class of the American.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fbonesville....amp;nofb=1]
[Image: TowneBank_Tower_2019_3.jpg]
[Image: ECU+stadium+8+12.JPG]
[Image: TowneBank_Tower.jpg]
[Image: 5db2029d489d2.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C815]
[Image: sw47uznu6niiib0n2kaj.jpg]
[Image: DFS_Crop.jpg]
[Image: ECU_UNC_stadium-768x384.jpg]
[Image: 9408640.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200...height=630]

I've been to the ECU vs UCF games in 2009 and 2018, and it definitely is the largest, and a very clean stadium (and rockin when ECU is good!!), and I have no major issues with the stadium. I haven't actually walked around the stadium entirely, but does it have any open/patio areas (either covered or uncovered), in the way that Houston/Cincy have (if you or others have been there). I don't recall seeing them, and I think something like that (possibly at the top of the first level) would really enhance that stadium and experience. ECU in my opinion is easily in the Top 3 or 4 stadiums (non-NFL) in the conference.
01-13-2020 11:35 AM
tharmon15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Cincy would be good non Memphis candidates to give their opinion about the Liberty Bowl after being there back to back weeks.
01-13-2020 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.