Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oops! Facebook Bug Reveals That Greta Thunberg's Posts May Not Be Her Own
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
Oops! Facebook Bug Reveals That Greta Thunberg's Posts May Not Be Her Own
https://pjmedia.com/trending/oops-it-tur...y-her-own/

Quote:A bug in the code of a Facebook update rolled out last week accidentally made it possible to see which accounts were responsible for posts to Facebook Pages, including those of celebrities and politicians, for a period of several hours.

"All it took to exploit the bug was opening a target page and checking the edit history of a post. Facebook mistakenly displayed the account or accounts that made edits to each post, rather than just the edits themselves," explained Wired.

Facebook was quick to post a fix, thanks to a security reacher who alerted them to the big. "We quickly fixed an issue where someone could see who edited or published a post on behalf of a Page when looking at its edit history," Facebook said in a statement.

While the fix was made quickly, screenshots began circulating on social media reveal the accounts behind several official Facebook pages, including that of teenage climate activist, Greta Thunberg.

And guess what? If you're one of Greta's 3 million fans, you might be disappointed to hear that she is likely not the author of all of her posts. According to screenshots shared online, posts that are supposed to be written by Greta may actually have been written by her father, Svante Thunberg, and/or Adarsh Prathap, a climate activist and delegate at the UN's Climate Change organization—who reportedly founded the page in December 2018.

Greta, or someone pretending to be her, tried to explain the situation on Saturday morning in a Facebook post. "Some people have been asking who manages this page," the post reads. "First of all, since last spring I only use Facebook to repost what I write on my Twitter and Instagram accounts."

"Since I have chosen not to be on Facebook personally ( I tried early on but decided it wasn’t for me) I use my father Svantes account to repost content, because you need an account to moderate a Facebook page," the post continued.

"The rest that is shared on Facebook is reposted from Twitter and Instagram by the guy who founded the Greta Thunberg Facebook page long before I knew it existed. His name is Adarsh Prathap and he lives in India. Since a lot of people thought it was my official page in the beginning I asked if I could co-manage it and he said yes."

Greta claims all the content on the page was written by her, then posted by either her father or Prathap. "All texts posted on my Facebook page has of course been written by me, just like everything else."

Another outlet covering this: https://www.zerohedge.com/political/youv...er-posting
01-12-2020 08:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
RE: Oops! Facebook Bug Reveals That Greta Thunberg's Posts May Not Be Her Own
A fck I do not care.
01-12-2020 08:26 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
Meh. I doubt Trump authors all his own tweets. I pay as much attention to young Greta as I do to tennis or curling. I find it reprehensible that her parents are exploiting her for their own gain though.
01-12-2020 10:17 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
How dare you
01-12-2020 11:13 PM
Advertisement

JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
Shocker. If you think anyone with more than 100k followers is creating every post themselves you're probably over the age of 50 or under the age of 10.
01-13-2020 11:08 AM
JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
(01-12-2020 10:17 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Meh. I doubt Trump authors all his own tweets. I pay as much attention to young Greta as I do to tennis or curling. I find it reprehensible that her parents are exploiting her for their own gain though.

Hey now. I like both of those! I don't follow Greta at all. I find the use of her to be distasteful tbh.
01-13-2020 11:09 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-12-2020 10:17 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  Meh. I doubt Trump authors all his own tweets. I pay as much attention to young Greta as I do to tennis or curling. I find it reprehensible that her parents are exploiting her for their own gain though.

I pay more attention to Greta than I do to curling, but less than I do to tennis.

Reminds me of an old story about Billy Tubbs, the former Lamar, OU, and TCU basketball coach. His wife told him, "Billy, I think you love basketball more than you love me," to which he responded, "Is it okay if I love you more than track?"
01-13-2020 11:26 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
01-13-2020 03:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.