Bookmark and Share
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Not "Not Duane"
CJ Frederick
21 points
6-11 FG
3-6 3PT FG

This guy was a 10 minute drive for Mick (no need for his stupid jet he whined about). And allegedly wanted to be a Bearcat. Mick apparently didn't make an offer. If Brannen was here 2 years ago, good chsnce he could be wearing Red and Black tonight and UC gets a win. Mick, we hardly knew ya!

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2019 04:15 PM by jarr.)
12-21-2019 11:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
RE: CJ Frederick
(12-21-2019 11:50 PM)jarr Wrote:  21 points
6-11 FG
3-6 3PT FG

This guy was a 10 minute drive for Mick (no need for his stupid jet he whined about). And wanted to be a Bearcat. Mick wouldn't even take a look. If Brannen was here 2 years ago, he is wearing Red and Black tonight and UC gets a win. Mick, we hardly knew ya!

FWIW, he's a 3 star recruit with a ranking in the mid-200s whose only big offers were Indiana and iowa (who i don't really rate in CBB). i'm hoping Brannen does way better than him, otherwise we'll likely be no better than iowa.

BTW, his 247 page says that NKU didn't offer him either...

12-22-2019 12:02 AM
cincybb51 Offline
BEARCAT FOREVER

I Root For: UC,Bengals,
6-11 FG
3-6 3PT FG

This guy was a 10 minute drive for Mick (no need for his stupid jet he whined about). And wanted to be a Bearcat. Mick wouldn't even take a look. If Brannen was here 2 years ago, he is wearing Red and Black tonight and UC gets a win. Mick, we hardly knew ya!

Yes we definitely were the faster more athletic team in my opinion but that "pesky" little necessity of being able to make open spots was our downfall. Being smarter and patience for the right player to take the shots would help also ...wish we could redo some of the opportunities in the second half when Scott and Diarra forced shots.

12-22-2019 12:02 AM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-22-2019 12:02 AM)eroc Wrote:  
6-11 FG
3-6 3PT FG

FWIW, he's a 3 star recruit with a ranking in the mid-200s whose only big offers were Indiana and iowa (who i don't really rate in CBB). i'm hoping Brannen does way better than him, otherwise we'll likely be no better than iowa.

Well I had seen him play a few times and could tell he was going to be alot better than his ranking. He is exactly the player that had been a thorn in our side for years. His ranking is right in line with other players Cronin recruited, why not ever look at the local guy?

12-22-2019 12:07 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(12-22-2019 12:07 AM)jarr Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 12:02 AM)eroc Wrote:  
6-11 FG
3-6 3PT FG

Well I had seen him play a few times and could tell he was going to be alot better than his ranking. He is exactly the player that had been a thorn in our side for years. His ranking is right in line with other players Cronin recruited, why not ever look at the local guy?

if you're looking for someone to absolve Mick's recruiting you've got the wrong guy. Quite frankly i could see him coming off the bench as a zone buster but i don't know if he would merit a scholly offer based upon the characteristics that Mick valued.

12-22-2019 12:13 AM
Romell Shorter Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
Saw CJ play a lot in H.S. He was definitely under ranked because those Cov Cath teams were loaded. They played team ball so all the players contributed. Probably would have averaged 30+ pts - like he did in the state championship game and almost averaged in the tourney - only any other team.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2019 12:30 AM by Romell Shorter.)
12-22-2019 12:16 AM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(12-22-2019 12:02 AM)cincybb51 Wrote:  
6-11 FG
3-6 3PT FG

Yes we definitely were the faster more athletic team in my opinion but that "pesky" little necessity of being able to make open spots was our downfall. Being smarter and patience for the right player to take the shots would help also ...wish we could redo some of the opportunities in the second half when Scott and Diarra forced shots.

Yes faster and more athletic but the were smarter and better shooters.

12-22-2019 12:17 AM
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Cincy
I have bitched about this problem with Mick for years. His inability to either recognize the need for or recruit a pure shooter was a huge problem then and is one that needs to be solved still.

12-22-2019 07:07 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Brannen said last night he offered Frederick at NKU. Sometimes those sites don’t list every team that makes an offer.

12-22-2019 07:51 AM
Romell Shorter Offline
Banned

(12-22-2019 07:51 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Brannen said last night he offered Frederick at NKU. Sometimes those sites don’t list every team that makes an offer.

Playing style comparison:

Gabe Madsen = CJ Frederick = John Brannen

12-22-2019 08:06 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
Mack didn't offer him either from what i recall while he was at X.

12-22-2019 09:30 AM
Advertisement

dsquare Offline
All American

Joe Frederick called into Sportstalk this am and basically said the color guy from the B10 network completely fabricated that story. He said he was full of crap. He said Cronin and the other local schools offered him, and in fact they're family friends as well. He committed to McCaffrey very early on as his family had known him for years from his days as an asst. at ND. Who was the color guy last night?

12-22-2019 12:23 PM
Romell Shorter Offline
Banned

(12-22-2019 12:23 PM)dsquare Wrote:  Joe Frederick called into Sportstalk this am and basically said the color guy from the B10 network completely fabricated that story. He said he was full of crap. He said Cronin and the other local schools offered him, and in fact they're family friends as well. He committed to McCaffrey very early on as his family had known him for years from his days as an asst. at ND. Who was the color guy last night?
Someone else posted that Terry Nelson said CJ told him that when they talked to each other before the game.

I'm sorry. I will try to stop this.

12-22-2019 12:32 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

Joe said the reason you didn't see a lot of offers for him on recruiting sites was that he committed so early to Iowa he was not even in play.

12-22-2019 12:35 PM
scoscox Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Xavier
Xavier and UC both offered him. he chose Iowa for reasons unknown

12-22-2019 12:37 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

(12-22-2019 12:37 PM)scoscox Wrote:  Xavier and UC both offered him. he chose Iowa for reasons unknown

It wasn't reasons unknown at all. His family are close with the coach according his uncle. His uncle is extremely high on Brannen. He could not have given a more glowing endorsement of him. He said what you are seeing with Uc including Cumberland not being 100% is a ton of new pieces trying to get used to each other. Bball is still a team sport.

12-22-2019 12:41 PM
Advertisement

levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-22-2019 12:23 PM)dsquare Wrote:  Joe Frederick called into Sportstalk this am and basically said the color guy from the B10 network completely fabricated that story. He said he was full of crap. He said Cronin and the other local schools offered him, and in fact they're family friends as well. He committed to McCaffrey very early on as his family had known him for years from his days as an asst. at ND. Who was the color guy last night?

LOL, that's amazing.

12-22-2019 12:50 PM
Bcatbog Offline
1st String

I Root For: U of Cincy
Fake news everywhere!

12-22-2019 02:05 PM
GameTime_21 Offline
Doing My Thing Covering The Cats

I Root For: UC
(12-22-2019 12:41 PM)dsquare Wrote:  
(12-22-2019 12:37 PM)scoscox Wrote:  Xavier and UC both offered him. he chose Iowa for reasons unknown

It wasn't reasons unknown at all. His family are close with the coach according his uncle. His uncle is extremely high on Brannen. He could not have given a more glowing endorsement of him. He said what you are seeing with Uc including Cumberland not being 100% is a ton of new pieces trying to get used to each other. Bball is still a team sport.

Joe Frederick played at Notre Dame. Fran was an assistant coach at ND when Joe was there and the two have been close ever since.
CJ was going to Iowa if Iowa wanted him from the start...

12-22-2019 03:05 PM
jarr Offline
Hall of Famer

Sorry for spreading false information if that is the case, I don't know why I have always heard that he never got the local offers. Sounds like he had an in with Iowa regardless. But still, who knows if that could have changed had Brannen had been here. But that is all speculation.

12-22-2019 04:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.