Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UC football needs(wants) for next year
Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
UC football needs(wants) for next year
I'll start a list - agree, disagree, make up your own, etc.

1. Receiver(s) - The guys that are on the team play hard and get the occasional big play, but defenses do not fear UC attempting or making many long pass plays.

2. Cutting the penalties in half would be a good start.

3. Kicker - Crosa performed well down the stretch but after seeing what the Memphis kicker could do, wouldn't it be nice to have a guy like that?

4. Offensive line - need to open up holes for the RB's just a bit better. experience will help. Also they were a huge part of the problem with penalties.

5. Offensive play calling - can still be too predictable, although in the AAC championship it was better.

6. Defense - I think the defense improved greatly but the head scratching game against ECU should never happen again.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019 10:44 AM by bearcatfan.)
12-09-2019 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: UC football needs(wants) for next year
(12-09-2019 10:43 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  I'll start a list - agree, disagree, make up your own, etc.

1. Receiver(s) - The guys that are on the team play hard and get the occasional big play, but defenses do not fear UC attempting or making many long pass plays.

3. Kicker - Crosa performed well down the stretch but after seeing what the Memphis kicker could do, wouldn't it be nice to have a guy like that?

4. Offensive line - need to open up holes for the RB's just a bit better. experience will help. Also they were a huge part of the problem with penalties.

5. Offensive play calling - can still be too predictable, although in the AAC championship it was better.

6. Defense - I think the defense improved greatly but the head scratching game against ECU should never happen again.

#3 for certain. If UC continues to be a run dominant, clock control offense it's imperative to have points when those drives stall after crossing midfield. Unless the offensive line can just blow the other team off the line, a steady diet of 4th and short attempts is risky.

12-09-2019 10:52 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Development of the offensive line is key. Though I'm optimistic. I think the defense is going to be lights out next year. My two biggest concerns are receiver and quarterback. To take the next step they really need to be more consistent and more explosive in the passing game.

12-09-2019 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(12-09-2019 10:43 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  I'll start a list - agree, disagree, make up your own, etc.

I think you're on track with two of these.

Penalties need to be addressed. It's to the point where we will start to genuinely lose games because of them, and three years is a trend regardless of how bad AAC officiating tends to be,

Offensive Play Calling needs to be much more dynamic. When it's a 1/4 pickem of plays every time you line up to snap, it makes things incredibly easy on defenses and incredibly hard on us.

As for the other four, I think our receiving corps is probably better than many believe, as it comes down to being put into position to succeed. If your OC doesn't have, or use, appropriate route concepts for big plays, you'll never have them.

Kicker, I really do think Cole Smith built some confidence this year, and he'll be alright for us for the next two.

OL, we return three starters and 8 guys in the rotation, along with the guy who was supposed to start for us at LT this whole year in James Hudson. I think we'll be fine there with another year of seasoning for the young guys.

Defense, I'm exceptionally confident that ECU was an aberation based on two players playing the games of their careers against us and really a perfect storm of some injuries, scheming to a specific matchup (Johnson vs. Hicks in man coverage) and exposing the hell out of it. In the last few games, Hicks has been the high zone on most plays, which to me shows that they're willing to adjust AND we do potentially get Wiggins back next year, which will help to alleviate some of that, as that means we'll have 3 starting safeties on the roster (I could easily see them moving Forrest down to LB).

12-09-2019 10:57 AM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
Definitely need receivers who don't drop the ball so often. I know they always weren't perfect passes on Saturday but if you can get two hands on the ball you should be able to reel it in most times. Also, Denbrock either has to go or the play calling has to drastically change. I trust this coaching staff to do the right things and have the Bearcats rolling towards an AAC Championship next season.

12-09-2019 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
7. Fans need to give more money and to go to games. Money solves a lot of problems.

12-09-2019 11:02 AM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2019 11:02 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  7. Fans need to give more money and to go to games. Money solves a lot of problems.

No question, more fans attending and giving is always at the top of the list. And I'm not referring just to elite donor levels; just everybody pitching in at their own reasonable level of support.

I think some former coaches have chosen their words carefully, but it means a lot to players and coaches to run out of that tunnel into a packed Nippert. The money is great at MSU, ND and UT but coaches' egos are also fed by a packed house on national TV. And the packed house = more $ in the budget to retain and build the program.

12-09-2019 11:17 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(12-09-2019 10:54 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Development of the offensive line is key. Though I'm optimistic. I think the defense is going to be lights out next year. My two biggest concerns are receiver and quarterback. To take the next step they really need to be more consistent and more explosive in the passing game.

That's exactly where I am. Our three biggest problem areas are QB, OL, and WR. I think with Hudson and our recruiting OL will be the biggest improvement. I think WR will be okay. QB and how our staff has managed that position is my biggest concern.

12-09-2019 11:20 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I was just looking at our depth chart in Saturday's game notes. We don't have a Senior in our DL rotation and only Jeffries in our defensive backfield. We have to replace Wright and Young who are great players but we could be sick defensively next year.

Lots of young guys in the OL rotation too but we're losing Morgan James who was all conference. Seems Robinson and Metz have been the two biggest culprits of the penalty issues; not sure if replacing them is on the table. Hudson becoming eligible means either Harper or Metz are going to be out of the starting lineup.

12-09-2019 11:33 AM
Jchuges7 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Reds, FCC
(12-09-2019 11:33 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  I was just looking at our depth chart in Saturday's game notes. We don't have a Senior in our DL rotation and only Jeffries in our defensive backfield. We have to replace Wright and Young who are great players but we could be sick defensively next year.

Lots of young guys in the OL rotation too but we're losing Morgan James who was all conference. Seems Robinson and Metz have been the two biggest culprits of the penalty issues; not sure if replacing them is on the table. Hudson becoming eligible means either Harper or Metz are going to be out of the starting lineup.

Don't forget: Wiggins is coming back!

12-09-2019 11:37 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2019 11:37 AM)Jchuges7 Wrote:  Don't forget: Wiggins is coming back!

I know. It's crazy. Wiggins coming back. Gardner all conference as a freshman. Bush is a freshman. Tons of competition and depth; not sure if any has the size to move up and help at LB. We've already got White at the tweener/hybrid spot so if someone switches they'd need to have more pure LB size although Young is undersized.

Wonder if Pierce to LB would be considered. He's 6'3 and 210 and would obviously be a superior athlete for the position. Maybe he's had enough of being severely underthrown when he gets behind the defense.

12-09-2019 11:46 AM
Advertisement

Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

O line MUST improve.

And for gosh sakes cut down the penalties. I had to have a plate put in my head from hitting it against the wall this year.

12-09-2019 11:55 AM
Z-Fly Offline
1st String

I'm worried about the linebackers leaving. I think they were the main reason the defense was so good this year. 2018 strength was on the D-Line. 2019 strength are the linebackers. 2020 strength will probably be in the secondary.

As far as giving, I was at every home game. I've considered buying club seats, but I don't really want to sit all the way up there. It's not a money thing. I just feel like to be in the thick of it.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019 11:59 AM by Z-Fly.)
12-09-2019 11:59 AM
OptimisticCoach Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Myself
Next Year
I know this year isn't over yet but I am extremely excited about next year.

The DB group is going to be insane

Wiggins, Forest, Bryant, Gardner, Bush, Hicks, I think Harris will be good as well. We still haven't seen Sheppard.

Heard good things about Dingle

LB Group is going to be the most interesting

The coaches seem to be big on Bacevich, Oakes, Fossen, and Dublanko

We have coming back White who I think should take over Perry Youngs spot he's been huge for us, and Beavers.

Beavers left a lot to be desired but I think with a year in the system he'll be better next year and I think he could work the middle linebacker position or they could move one of the Jacks there.

D-line will be huge for us

Myjai and Malik coming in strong for their Junior year. They really have me excited about next year.

We still have yet to see Hawthorne and Ruffin

Marcus Brown, Jabari, Brooks, and Ponder are MEN....

and I have heard good thing about Daeshon and Eric Phillips

And Jack

We have Tucky and Pitts whom both have been a base of consistency for us. I believe they will be great for us next year and they may move one of them to middle linebacker (I have no basis for this just a thought) But you have Dublanko, Bacevich, Ruffin, and Hawthorne who could move in to back Tucky and Pitts.

OFFENSE

Quarterback

Desmond Ridder- Another year experience. Will he better? Is a winner but have some real short comings

Ben Bryant- Will he be able to truly compete for starting opportunity? A better thrower than Ridder. Real chance he may transfer

Evan Prater - A freshman that will most likely Redshirt

Runningback

Warren and Doaks will Beast next year behind huge aggressive offensive line

WE GET MCLELLAND BACK!

OFFENSIVE LINE

My Projected Starters and I believe they will be Magnificent

Harper Cooper Robinson Hudson Metz
We also have O'Quinn, Woodside, Mendiola, and to a lesser extent McConnell

Receiver

They will be better!

Tucker should be a monster, Jayshon WILL be who we know he can be, Modj will take a step forward, along with Alec.

Blue Smith HAS to be given a real opportunity
Garyn May also get some opportunity

I respect Geddis but I didn't understand the coaches Obsession with him and his graduation will allow for (what I believe to be) better talent to get opportunities

I think UC may lose Cloud and Hawes to the transfer portal (purely looking at talent ahead of them.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019 07:51 PM by OptimisticCoach.)
12-09-2019 12:14 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I want an open competition at QB in camp and the best QB to start. If it happens to be Ridder, fine, so be it. But I don't want to see anymore of his lock onto one receiver, he's covered, tuck and run play.

12-09-2019 12:15 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-09-2019 12:14 PM)OptimisticCoach Wrote:  Quarterback

Desmond Ridder- Another year experience. Will he better? Is a winner but have some real short comings

Ben Bryant- Will he be able to truly compete for starting opportunity? A better thrower than Ridder. Real chance he may transfer

Evan Prater - A freshman that will most likely Transfer.

I hope not. Long term, Prater is the best of the lot (in my opinion).

12-09-2019 12:18 PM
Advertisement

skylinecat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
I wouldn't be surprised to seem them drop Darrick Forrest down to Perry Young's position. They are similar size wise and it allows you to get Wiggins, Forrest and Hicks on the field all at the same time.

12-09-2019 12:24 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

You meant Prater to redshirt, not transfer right?

12-09-2019 12:25 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2019 12:15 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  I want an open competition at QB in camp and the best QB to start. If it happens to be Ridder, fine, so be it. But I don't want to see anymore of his lock onto one receiver, he's covered, tuck and run play.

We've got 3 1/2 weeks prior to the next game; now would be a great time to start evaluating the QBs. If you wait to spring your options may be mediocre Des vs true freshman Prater who won't be here until summer.

12-09-2019 12:29 PM
OptimisticCoach Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Myself
(12-09-2019 12:18 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  
(12-09-2019 12:14 PM)OptimisticCoach Wrote:  Quarterback

Evan Prater - A freshman that will most likely Transfer.

I hope not. Long term, Prater is the best of the lot (in my opinion).

That was a typo I fixed it... It was suppose to say Redshirt

12-09-2019 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.