Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

FSU Buyout dispute?
Bookmark and Share
Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
FSU Buyout dispute?
I have no "inside" sources but because I have 120 job sites around the country I get to talk to some local people who provide insight. Anyways latest I've heard is Sexton is asking 15 to 18 mil buyout for Mike if hes fired. This is causing pause in contract negotiations if true. Dont at me. It could be bs. But I deal alot with this guy in Florida.
12-06-2019 11:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UMTiger02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers & Uggla
RE: FSU Buyout dispute?
Hmm
12-07-2019 12:00 AM
Tigergary Offline
All American

And the guy said hes asking 4.8 mil for 5 yrs. Which seems weird to me if the buyout requirement is true.
I don't know anymore who to believe. Sh*t giving me a headache. Just hope we curb stomp cincy tomorrow.
12-07-2019 12:02 AM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Sounds like a nice gig.
12-07-2019 12:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I think there is a pride penalty required to take the job as the known second choice. It might blow the deal.
12-07-2019 12:07 AM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
(12-07-2019 12:02 AM)Tigergary Wrote:  And the guy said hes asking 4.8 mil for 5 yrs. Which seems weird to me if the buyout requirement is true.
I don't know anymore who to believe. Sh*t giving me a headache. Just hope we curb stomp cincy tomorrow.

Don't know if these #s are anywhere near reality but...

If your soon-to-be employer fired the last guy with less than 2 full seasons on his contract, you better make damn sure you are taken care of if they get a hair trigger again.

And if the rumors about them going down their list only to finally end up on Norvell are true, Sexton had all the leverage in contract negotiations.

I think Norvell is about to get paid in a major way.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 12:09 AM by TGTiger.)
12-07-2019 12:08 AM
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
I agree with the buyout. He is taking a serious chance leaving Memphis for the unknown. If he is going to leave a place he loves, he better guarantee, at the very least, he gets paid really well for it. If things go the way he wants them to, it wont be an issue.
12-07-2019 12:10 AM
Tigergary Offline
All American

I definitely agree with the buyout if true. Gotta make sure if it goes south you're at least comfortable for awhile.
12-07-2019 12:14 AM
MvETigers Offline
Special Teams

(12-06-2019 11:53 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  I have no "inside" sources but because I have 120 job sites around the country I get to talk to some local people who provide insight. Anyways latest I've heard is Sexton is asking 15 to 18 mil buyout for Mike if hes fired. This is causing pause in contract negotiations if true. Dont at me. It could be bs. But I deal alot with this guy in Florida.

Unless Sexton just doesn't want him to take the FSU job, those numbers have to be wrong.
12-07-2019 12:15 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-07-2019 12:15 AM)MvETigers Wrote:  
(12-06-2019 11:53 PM)Tigergary Wrote:  I have no "inside" sources but because I have 120 job sites around the country I get to talk to some local people who provide insight. Anyways latest I've heard is Sexton is asking 15 to 18 mil buyout for Mike if hes fired. This is causing pause in contract negotiations if true. Dont at me. It could be bs. But I deal alot with this guy in Florida.

Unless Sexton just doesn't want him to take the FSU job, those numbers have to be wrong.

Unless Norvell really doesn't want to take that job.
12-07-2019 12:17 AM
Tigergary Offline
All American

Dont know what sexton's angle would be then. Every agent wants their client to get paid.
I'm just wondering if or what we've offered.
12-07-2019 12:18 AM
Advertisement

MvETigers Offline
Special Teams

(12-07-2019 12:18 AM)Tigergary Wrote:  

Dont know what sexton's angle would be then. Every agent wants their client to get paid.
I'm just wondering if or what we've offered.

He might have a little leverage, but I don't know of any college contract that is anywhere close to those numbers on the buyout clause.
12-07-2019 12:22 AM
Alanda Offline
All American

The way I've seen FSU fans complain about their admin and their decision making I do not blame him one bit for asking for that if true. Also considering Sexton is the agent for both Jimbo Fisher and Willie Taggart, I would easily assume he knows what they are like down there.
12-07-2019 12:32 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

This is the norm (or even low) for every team in the top 25. If FSU is a top ten job, Then $15-$20 million will be the number.
12-07-2019 01:07 AM
muffinman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
(12-07-2019 12:32 AM)Alanda Wrote:  

The way I've seen FSU fans complain about their admin and their decision making I do not blame him one bit for asking for that if true. Also considering Sexton is the agent for both Jimbo Fisher and Willie Taggart, I would easily assume he knows what they are like down there.

I wonder if Jimmy Sexton fills his pool with dollar bills to swim in. The dude is everyone's agent, he is getting cuts from all of these multi-million dollar salaries.
12-07-2019 01:07 AM
Alanda Offline
All American

I found these articles about other buyouts for a reference.

https://herosports.com/college-football/...t-ash-ahah

https://herosports.com/college-football/...uyout-ahah

Using Taggart as a comparison his buyout was 85% of the remaining balance. Maybe Sexton is looking for something similar.

(12-07-2019 01:07 AM)muffinman Wrote:  
(12-07-2019 12:32 AM)Alanda Wrote:  

I wonder if Jimmy Sexton fills his pool with dollar bills to swim in. The dude is everyone's agent, he is getting cuts from all of these multi-million dollar salaries.

Leaked footage from Sexton's property:

[Image: giphy.gif]
12-07-2019 01:19 AM
Advertisement

UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-07-2019 01:07 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  This is the norm (or even low) for every team in the top 25. If FSU is a top ten job, Then $15-$20 million will be the number.

Sounds fairly normal to me to. I m sure he wants at least what Taggart got. Five Million for 5 years guaranteed. Damn I m sure FSU has deep pockets but wow they are on the hook between what they owe Taggart and now a new coach.
12-07-2019 01:32 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(12-07-2019 01:32 AM)UOFMGLENN Wrote:  
(12-07-2019 01:07 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  This is the norm (or even low) for every team in the top 25. If FSU is a top ten job, Then $15-$20 million will be the number.

Sounds fairly normal to me to. I m sure he wants at least what Taggart got. Five Million for 5 years guaranteed. Damn I m sure FSU has deep pockets but wow they are on the hook between what they owe Taggart and now a new coach.

Boosters will be on the hook. Probably trying to shake them down now in order to get it in place. I hope they werent delusional to think they were going to get him on the cheap. They will be lucky if he doesnt tie any guaranteed facility upgrades to the contract.

Thats the issue with these things. They are more complex that they appear on the surface. Certain boosters who wanted Stoops arent going to be as willing to put forth money for someone else.

It appears a certain group of boosters got the Kiffin hire killed at Arkansas.
This isnt always a clean process. There can be some serious in-fighting.

And Sexton is gonna Sexton.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019 01:46 AM by UofMstateU.)
12-07-2019 01:43 AM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
If FSU were smart...they should just roll with the interim that’s been there for 14 years... he’s the consensus pick...He could be had on the “cheap” while they upgrade facilities and get their shiitake together down there....ANY other coach is going to feel immense pressure to perform/succeed immediately and unfortunately it’s just NOT that type of situation currently....It’s getting painful to fathom CMN leaving the comforts of Memphis for that s****storm
12-07-2019 01:55 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

FSU screwed the pooch so badly on this that Norvell has all the leverage on them. I dont see how they can say no. Theyre going to have to pony it up. The entire admin is going to get tossed if its now someone other than Norvell, or if its not announced later tomorrow.
12-07-2019 02:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.