Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

I dunno if its a done deal...
Bookmark and Share
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
I dunno if its a done deal...
FSU has hired a search firm for their fb coaching vacancy. If Norvell were a lock, why go this route? Only thing I could think of is it would allow them not to consider their current interim coach, who is a popular player's choice for the position.
12-06-2019 03:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: I dunno if its a done deal...
I think they actually hired the search firm back in early November but just released the facts of the contract with them yesterday.
12-06-2019 04:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
I had heard that Coach Franklin was the leading choice but that he was waiting to see if USC opened up. It was announced that Helton would be back so USC did not open up. I would think that if Franklin was really the #1 choice, then CMN is no longer in the picture.

We can only hope.
12-06-2019 06:55 AM
tigergg Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2019 06:55 AM)mapdude Wrote:  I had heard that Coach Franklin was the leading choice but that he was waiting to see if USC opened up. It was announced that Helton would be back so USC did not open up. I would think that if Franklin was really the #1 choice, then CMN is no longer in the picture.

We can only hope.
If Franklin is interested it will be him, No question!!
12-06-2019 07:24 AM
ummechengr Offline
C'mon....really!?!?!

(12-06-2019 03:54 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  FSU has hired a search firm for their fb coaching vacancy. If Norvell were a lock, why go this route? Only thing I could think of is it would allow them not to consider their current interim coach, who is a popular player's choice for the position.

From what I understand, the search firm was paid $100k, and there's a provision that if FSU fires the coach <2 years, they'll find a new one for free.

What coach would want to go to a school that uses a BOGO style search firm? And $100k seems low....

Unless, it's a formality to hire a firm to shuffle paperwork and the coach was already picked?
12-06-2019 10:12 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I don't see Norvell going to a place where he is waiting to see if the guy they really want takes the job. I don't think he is that kind of guy.
12-06-2019 10:14 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(12-06-2019 10:12 AM)ummechengr Wrote:  
(12-06-2019 03:54 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  FSU has hired a search firm for their fb coaching vacancy. If Norvell were a lock, why go this route? Only thing I could think of is it would allow them not to consider their current interim coach, who is a popular player's choice for the position.

From what I understand, the search firm was paid $100k, and there's a provision that if FSU fires the coach <2 years, they'll find a new one for free.

What coach would want to go to a school that uses a BOGO style search firm? And $100k seems low....

Unless, it's a formality to hire a firm to shuffle paperwork and the coach was already picked?

Search firms can be used not just for the search, but for the vetting and contract negotiations for a candidate who is already being recruited by the school.

Memphis had a search firm on retainer for both the Fuente and Norvell hires, but didnt use them to find Fuente and Norvell. These firms can do things like background checks, etc, as well as be activated for a full nationwide search if need be.

Now, if FSU has activated the search fir for a nationwide search, that would be interesting news.
12-06-2019 10:50 AM
Gen3Tiger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UOM
(12-06-2019 06:55 AM)mapdude Wrote:  I had heard that Coach Franklin was the leading choice but that he was waiting to see if USC opened up. It was announced that Helton would be back so USC did not open up. I would think that if Franklin was really the #1 choice, then CMN is no longer in the picture.

We can only hope.

New to site, Memphis grad living in Oklahoma. IMO if Norvell was staying, he would have have told his players and then we would all know his intentions. My expectation is that it will be announced during the game tomorrow. I just wish Norvell could talk with Fred Pancoast.
12-06-2019 11:02 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-06-2019 10:50 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

Search firms can be used not just for the search, but for the vetting and contract negotiations for a candidate who is already being recruited by the school.

Memphis had a search firm on retainer for both the Fuente and Norvell hires, but didnt use them to find Fuente and Norvell. These firms can do things like background checks, etc, as well as be activated for a full nationwide search if need be.

Now, if FSU has activated the search fir for a nationwide search, that would be interesting news.

We definitely used them to identify candidates when Fuente was hired. They were used as you describe when Odom and Norvell were interviewed.
12-06-2019 11:17 AM
MemphisRTL Offline
2nd String

(12-06-2019 11:17 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-06-2019 10:50 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

We definitely used them to identify candidates when Fuente was hired. They were used as you describe when Odom and Norvell were interviewed.

So we knew about the gambling and co-eds? 03-lmfao
12-06-2019 11:28 AM
wylioats Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2019 11:02 AM)Gen3Tiger Wrote:  

We can only hope.

New to site, Memphis grad living in Oklahoma. IMO if Norvell was staying, he would have have told his players and then we would all know his intentions. My expectation is that it will be announced during the game tomorrow. I just wish Norvell could talk with Fred Pancoast.

Visited him in his office after his first season at Vandy, told me, the biggest mistake he ever made was leaving Memphis State, said he had a good thing going here at Memphis, said if he had it over to do again he'd have stayed here. Seems I heard not too long ago that some coach somewhere made the comment that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. Hmm, wonder who.
12-06-2019 11:46 AM
Advertisement

TigerBo Offline
All American

We can only hope.

I aint buying it. Hernando has a contact INSIDE the AD that says its a done deal that Norvell is gone. I'm going with that.
12-06-2019 12:08 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(12-06-2019 12:08 PM)TigerBo Wrote:  

We can only hope.

I aint buying it. Hernando has a contact INSIDE the AD that says its a done deal that Norvell is gone. I'm going with that.

Then I expect the team will come out flat and we will lose tomorrow. Kiss the Cotton Bowl goodbye.
12-06-2019 12:14 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers

We can only hope.

If that were the case it would have been leaked by now. There is no way multiple people in both the FSU and Memphis athletic departments, plus boosters, coaches and family know this is a done deal yet there is not one credible source calling it done...
12-06-2019 12:18 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-06-2019 12:18 PM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  

We can only hope.

If that were the case it would have been leaked by now. There is no way multiple people in both the FSU and Memphis athletic departments, plus boosters, coaches and family know this is a done deal yet there is not one credible source calling it done...

Q: When did we find out that Norvell was even a candidate for our job?

A: The day before Norvell was hired, Rudd sent out a tweet saying that he had hired a football coach.

He wasn't on anyone's radar. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Norvell has promised FSU that he will sign the deal and there is an agreement; but on principle; he hasn't officially agreed to one until it can be announced.
12-06-2019 12:31 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-06-2019 12:14 PM)mapdude Wrote:  

We can only hope.

Then I expect the team will come out flat and we will lose tomorrow. Kiss the Cotton Bowl goodbye.

You also didn't think that the touchdown on the kickoff should have been factored into our win.
12-06-2019 12:36 PM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

We can only hope.

That's what puzzles me... why hasn't any definitive sources leak yet?
12-06-2019 12:38 PM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
It is very common in the CFB coaching industry to sign an "intent to sign" first with the major points of the contract outlined and then work out the actual contract details later. This has led to some coaches being fired without an actual contract in place.

All of this is part of the early signing period (Dec 18). Coaches being fired in October/November are admins hoping to get a jump start on contract negotiations for their targets and have someone in place during the early signing period for recruiting purposes.
12-06-2019 12:40 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

Norvell or no Norvell, this team will not be flat.

They are playing for our first outright conference championship and a chance to go to the Cotton Bowl.

That motivation will eclipse Norvell leaving.
12-06-2019 12:40 PM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
(12-06-2019 12:38 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  

We can only hope.

That's what puzzles me... why hasn't any definitive sources leak yet?

Nebraska was able to keep Frost to Nebraska as "rumor only" until OT in our game with them in the AAC championship.
12-06-2019 12:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.