Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Hoop Schedules: who gets a gift?
SadderBudweiser Online
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU
Conference Hoop Schedules: who gets a gift?
Now that we’re getting a look at all AAC teams in action a pecking order is beginning to evolve. But what it’s looking like is a true dog-fight for the top spots....and favorable seeding for the AAC tourney in Fort Worth.
Before you make your predictions you might want to check this again:

https://theamerican.org/news/2019/6/18/a...rings.aspx

You really can’t know much when these pairings are set but now it starts to become a bit more clear. Did your school get screwed? Do you think you are getting off easy? Who benefits?

Is it fair? Discuss.
12-01-2019 08:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
RE: Conference Hoop Schedules: who gets a gift?
I put Temple in the “screwed” category. We only play Houston (h) and Memphis (a) once each.
12-01-2019 08:19 AM
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
(12-01-2019 08:19 AM)vick mike Wrote:  I put Temple in the “screwed” category. We only play Houston (h) and Memphis (a) once each.

Where are Memphis and Houston ranked compared to Temple? If both are ranked ahead of Temple, then playing them only once each means that you are playing somebody easier in their stead. That has to favor you in the conference standings at season's end.

Please explain your opinion. Thanks.
12-01-2019 06:30 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Everyone that plays ECU twice gets the gift of 2 should be easy wins, but the SOS bomb and the potential of a Q4 disaster loss (it's gonna happen to someone it does every year).
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 06:33 PM by b0ndsj0ns.)
12-01-2019 06:33 PM
Miggy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Eastern Michigan and Tem
(12-01-2019 06:30 PM)covingtontiger Wrote:  
(12-01-2019 08:19 AM)vick mike Wrote:  I put Temple in the “screwed” category. We only play Houston (h) and Memphis (a) once each.

Where are Memphis and Houston ranked compared to Temple? If both are ranked ahead of Temple, then playing them only once each means that you are playing somebody easier in their stead. That has to favor you in the conference standings at season's end.

Agree that Temple has advantage playing Memphis and Houston but one time.
12-01-2019 06:37 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
probably a little early to do this..im not sure a pecking order is really in place

right now 10 of the teams look roughly the same..with memphis somewhere on top and ucf somewhere lower in that 10...but no huge advantage either way

ecu is the only guaranteed horrific 200+ NET team....

usf is going to be bad, but how bad is debatable for a goal of "just a top 150 team" only one of their loses was inexcusable for that goal
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 06:48 PM by pesik.)
12-01-2019 06:44 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston

his point was that he'd rather play tough teams ....not easier path to conference title ..
they were screwed in quality of schedule
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2019 06:48 PM by pesik.)
12-01-2019 06:46 PM
SadderBudweiser Online
1st String

I Root For: $$$$MU

Yes.... to be clear I’m referring to conference tourney seeding not NCAA seeding. So actually...you’re probably both right.
12-01-2019 06:46 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

Strength of schedule is a huge piece of the NET. Beating ECU twice is worse than splitting with Houston or having the opportunity for better wins. Standings wise you are correct but college hoops is focused on SOS.
12-01-2019 11:04 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

(12-01-2019 06:46 PM)pesik Wrote:  

his point was that he'd rather play tough teams ....not easier path to conference title ..
they were screwed in quality of schedule

Nailed it, thanks.
12-01-2019 11:05 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
True about the NET and SOS, but in year #1 of the NET, the selection committee relied less on the NET than had been expected, citing some imperfections in the NET rankings:

"the NET rankings are now supposed to be the selection committee’s primary metric for arranging the NCAA Tournament field.

...the NCAA Tournament field of 68 was revealed on Sunday, and for the teams on the bubble, the NET rankings didn’t seem to mean much.

The last four teams in have NET rankings of 47 (Belmont), 56 (Temple), 63 (Arizona State), and 73 (St. John’s). Meanwhile, teams with NET rankings of 33 (NC State), 35 (Clemson), 52 (TCU), and 54 (Indiana) were left out of the tournament."

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/it-turns-ou...ament.html

"...given that the (NET) does away with the RPI’s potential punishment for playing weak teams (even in the case of beating them) and factors in net efficiency margin without accounting for the quality of opponent, its positive impact on a team like Texas Tech—which opened the season pounding three teams ranked below 300 on kenpom, then a month later smothered two more—is certainly worth noting."

"North Carolina State began this season with five straight blowouts over sub-300 kenpom teams and handily beat three more ranked below 280 later; the Wolfpack are by my count the single biggest beneficiary of the switch from RPI to NET, ranking 26th in the latter rather than 112th in the former."

https://www.si.com/college/2019/01/23/nc...ch-madness
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019 01:32 AM by jedclampett.)
12-02-2019 01:27 AM
Advertisement

Fluke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
(12-01-2019 11:04 PM)vick mike Wrote:  

Strength of schedule is a huge piece of the NET. Beating ECU twice is worse than splitting with Houston or having the opportunity for better wins. Standings wise you are correct but college hoops is focused on SOS.

Not too terrible of a knock in the NET though if you beat them efficiently and by 10+
12-02-2019 08:46 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Here is the NET (unless they changed it):

A couple of notes:

The NET is a sorting tool resulting in team sheets which are presented to the Selection Committee.

NET is shown on the team sheets by Quadrant per game result depending on location.
Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353

In keeping with the NCAA's general lack of transparency; the weight given to each component, the Team Value Index formula (the component with the greatest weight), and method used to calculate actual NET are unknown.

The NET team sheets also include the Kevin Pauga Index and ESPN’s results-oriented metric, the Strength of Record and three predictive metrics: KenPom, Sagrin, and ESPN's BPI.

Subjectivity still exists in the tournament selection process.

Despite the 10 point scoring margin limit, it still pays to run up the score due to the effect on "Net Efficiency" (the second most weighted component).

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men...anking?amp

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...-a-secret/

https://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/2019...score.html
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019 09:35 AM by Tiger1983.)
12-02-2019 09:35 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

Since Temple plays Memphis and Houston each only once, regardless of those games outcomes, those game results will not be included in determining final conference rankings.
12-02-2019 09:35 AM
Fluke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
(12-02-2019 09:35 AM)Miggy Wrote:  Since Temple plays Memphis and Houston each only once, regardless of those games outcomes, those game results will not be included in determining final conference rankings.

This isn’t right. I think that only applies in case of a tie.
12-02-2019 09:38 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

(12-02-2019 09:38 AM)Fluke Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 09:35 AM)Miggy Wrote:  Since Temple plays Memphis and Houston each only once, regardless of those games outcomes, those game results will not be included in determining final conference rankings.

I agree with Fluke, all conference games matter in conference standings. My position is that by playing the two top teams once only hurts our strength of schedule in reference to national ratings. For the record, I think the NET is flawed and worse opaque. Nevertheless we have fewer opportunities for Tier 1 wins.
12-02-2019 11:46 AM
Advertisement

ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
You want the strong SOS games. An easier slate may slightly improve your chances of conference standing but nobody cares about that except Tulsa fans.
12-02-2019 11:49 AM
Miggy Offline
1st String

(12-02-2019 11:46 AM)vick mike Wrote:  

I agree with Fluke, all conference games matter in conference standings. My position is that by playing the two top teams once only hurts our strength of schedule in reference to national ratings. For the record, I think the NET is flawed and worse opaque. Nevertheless we have fewer opportunities for Tier 1 wins.

Thanks for correction. Explains what happened to Temple last season when Temple ended in a tie in conference standings.

Don’t worry vick mike, barring injuries, Temple will be going to the NCAA tournament, and will likely have a high seed.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019 12:46 PM by Miggy.)
12-02-2019 12:43 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

(12-02-2019 12:43 PM)Miggy Wrote:  
(12-02-2019 11:46 AM)vick mike Wrote:  

Thanks for correction. Explains what happened to Temple last season when Temple ended in a tie in conference standings.

Don’t worry vick mike, barring injuries, Temple will be going to the NCAA tournament, and will likely have a high seed.

Like what I’ve seen so far!
12-02-2019 12:47 PM
UCF_SystemsEng Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
All 4 of UCF's single game opponents are highly probable Big Dance teams, but since our ceiling this year is likely NIT I don't think it matters.
12-02-2019 06:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.